> Nonito jumps ship to GBP
gravytrain
post Mar 19 2011, 09:48 PM
Post #41

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 19 2011, 12:55 AM) *
Actually Mexi I've said in other threads that I think GBP may be moving Alvarez along too soon. By giving him a title they've given him very little wiggle room to fight some more gatekeeper types and build up his skills.

Now he has to face fully blown contenders.

i don't know about that, the WBC can make the rankings how they want and will make them how they want and GBP can pretty much put him in a venue anywhere with a big Mexican-American population and get a good gate. that was Canelo's first fight he's headlined against an unknown like Hatton and it got 1.4 million viewers, that's 200k less than Cotto and 100k more than Martinez/Williams II with a Pac/Margarito replay on before and after the fight.

i don't expect a significant fight out of Canelo for years and if Mosley look shittier against Pac i could see them fight in the future.

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Mar 18 2011, 07:09 PM) *
Yeah but most promoters don't start with several hundread million in cash, a recognisable brand name & figurehead & executive level contacts with the premier boxing network do they?

Just saying GBP's success is not down to hard work & graft but more key contacts & financial backing.

i think the only promoter to really do that who's still in the game is King. out of the big 3 promoters anyway.

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 17 2011, 11:12 PM) *
Correct but GBP don't seem to show any ability to get it right any of the time. When have they built a guy from scratch?

Donaire is not a cross over name yet, and Golden Boy are yet to show any evidence that they know how to get a guy there. If they don't get a star fighter 'fully formed' as it were they struggle. They don't seem to know how to build a guy up.

Say what you want about the likes of Arum and King but they know how to build stars. I don't see anything ridiculous in that at all.

when have they needed to? they had DLH then Mayweather. i'll wait until after Pac/Mosley to really make a decision on it because if it undersells Mayweather/Mosley i don't think it can be denied that GBP is doing something right, Pac/Mosley will have probably 5x more coverage getting prime time advertising on a free TV channel. sure they got talent that was already in a good position but with some numbers they've pulled it's kind of hard to say that can't do it at all. a million buys for Mayweather/Marquez is pretty fucking nice, they're not completely inept lol.

i can see what you're saying to some degree but if GBP couldn't handle building the success of a client i really couldn't imagine they'd have the successful prime time PPVs they've had. they got Mayweather when he was doing 350k buys and later he was doing 800k-1.5 million.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 20 2011, 02:05 AM
Post #42

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 19 2011, 10:48 PM) *
i can see what you're saying to some degree but if GBP couldn't handle building the success of a client i really couldn't imagine they'd have the successful prime time PPVs they've had. they got Mayweather when he was doing 350k buys and later he was doing 800k-1.5 million.

You know what, as much as I hate to admit it I have to give Floyd a lot of credit for that. He came up with the idea for 24/7, which I think hugely contributed to his fight numbers with ODLH. He crossed over into the rap/ hip hop community and was shrewd enough to sign gigs with WWE and Dancing with the Stars.

As well as playing the bad guy persona he forced his way onto the pop culture landscape of America. This all gave Floyd a huge bump. He realised that he would get a lot of fans tuning in buying into his cocky persona and perhaps even more people tuning in to watch him lose. Floyd created Floyd as a PPV phenomina.

I give him kudos for this and as far as I know none of these ideas originated out of GBP.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Mar 21 2011, 02:19 AM
Post #43

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 20 2011, 02:05 AM) *
You know what, as much as I hate to admit it I have to give Floyd a lot of credit for that. He came up with the idea for 24/7, which I think hugely contributed to his fight numbers with ODLH. He crossed over into the rap/ hip hop community and was shrewd enough to sign gigs with WWE and Dancing with the Stars.

As well as playing the bad guy persona he forced his way onto the pop culture landscape of America. This all gave Floyd a huge bump. He realised that he would get a lot of fans tuning in buying into his cocky persona and perhaps even more people tuning in to watch him lose. Floyd created Floyd as a PPV phenomina.

I give him kudos for this and as far as I know none of these ideas originated out of GBP.

i don't know about that, would Mayweather have made the impact without 24/7 and DLH/GBP? i really doubt he was about to get 24/7 with Arum for fighting Margarito or Cotto, he wasn't even going to be fighting DLH for a few years. i see what you're saying and Mayweather has done a pretty good job of selfpromotion but to cut GBP out of the equation you'd have to cut about every promoter out. prior to Pac Arum's last really successful fighter was DLH and DLH was a promoters dream, is TR about to get no credit for that?

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 21 2011, 02:37 AM
Post #44

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 21 2011, 03:19 AM) *
i don't know about that, would Mayweather have made the impact without 24/7 and DLH/GBP? i really doubt he was about to get 24/7 with Arum for fighting Margarito or Cotto, he wasn't even going to be fighting DLH for a few years. i see what you're saying and Mayweather has done a pretty good job of selfpromotion but to cut GBP out of the equation you'd have to cut about every promoter out. prior to Pac Arum's last really successful fighter was DLH and DLH was a promoters dream, is TR about to get no credit for that?

Well I'll meet you half way on that. i don't think he would've got it if he wasn't fighting De la Hoya. The GBP part is irrelevant. GBP is/was founded on Oscar's relationship with HBO. it was always going to be inteersting to see how they would evolve once he stopped fighting and in my opinion they have fallen short of the mark.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Mar 22 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #45

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 21 2011, 02:37 AM) *
Well I'll meet you half way on that. i don't think he would've got it if he wasn't fighting De la Hoya. The GBP part is irrelevant. GBP is/was founded on Oscar's relationship with HBO. it was always going to be inteersting to see how they would evolve once he stopped fighting and in my opinion they have fallen short of the mark.

pretty much how i see it too, i just don't think they've really had to do anything special yet. since DLH started GBP they've had a PPV fighter, it's him then it's Mayweather. with Mayweather kind of out of the picture i think they've made some pushes for other fighters to carry the banner but it really hasn't been long. i don't think any promoter is about to try to do something when they already can do something with a fighter though, it's like Arum talking about Donaire saying that the fighter making the most gets the most attention. everyone else is just someone in the stable.

+Quote Post
RyanTical
post Mar 25 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #46

Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,841

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 22 2011, 02:38 PM) *
pretty much how i see it too, i just don't think they've really had to do anything special yet. since DLH started GBP they've had a PPV fighter, it's him then it's Mayweather. with Mayweather kind of out of the picture i think they've made some pushes for other fighters to carry the banner but it really hasn't been long. i don't think any promoter is about to try to do something when they already can do something with a fighter though, it's like Arum talking about Donaire saying that the fighter making the most gets the most attention. everyone else is just someone in the stable.

Arum is afraid that Donaire could take some heat away from Pacquiao. Why else would Arum criticisd Donaire, using the Filipino people against him and throwing all the crap on Donaire's wife; Rachel? It's all hogwash. Donaire loves his people, but he considers himself a Filipino-American, not just Filipino. Arum probably frowns upon that. I guess it pisses Arum off that some people hold Donaire in higher regard than Pacquiao.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 29 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #47

Super Middleweight

Looks like a judge just ordered Golden Girl to give Donaire back to Top Wank, haha. Fuck I bet Oscar just hates Arum.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 30 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #48

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Mar 30 2011, 01:00 AM) *
After all of the slaggin Arum has done towards Donaire bringing race and his wife as part of the issue this must be awkward once negotiating begin with them again. I wonder how this will effect Arum & Donaire compared to before all this GBP business began.

Poor Nonito for a fighter as highly ranked and highly skilled like himself, who actually wants to fight the best..he isn't in the greatest position!

It's not a great position and it will be awkward but in the boxing buisness people get over it pretty quick. Do you remember when Manny tried signing to Golden Girl and it was actually Roach who was pushing him in that direction? Then Arum pulled out that legal shit and Manny ended up staying with him. Arum said some real unpleasant things about Roach there for awhile. Now they seem pretty cool.

My point is string a fews wins together, get some paydays and everything seems to get forgotten.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Mar 30 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #49

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

Sorry for the rant, and this may sound very aggressive, but I actually hope Arum dies!

An entire sport as legendary and great as the sweet science is more important as a whole than one ego centric driven guy who is doing his damn best to destroy boxing by keeping his fighters away from any fight they may loose outside his own stable!!!!!!

FUKC he pi*ses me off!!!!!!

I think Donaire is one of the best talents to come along in a long long time and if his career is ruined by promotors, I swear on my life I will never watch boxing again!

This post has been edited by and the NEW: Mar 30 2011, 12:33 AM

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 30 2011, 12:45 AM
Post #50

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (and the NEW @ Mar 30 2011, 12:31 AM) *
Sorry for the rant, and this may sound very aggressive, but I actually hope Arum dies!

And one day I promise you, your wish will come true (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 03:04 PM