IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> James Kirkland..., Just wondering about last night & stoppage...
JLUVBABY
post Apr 11 2011, 04:18 AM
Post #21

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Apr 11 2011, 02:31 AM) *
Prescott was a better prospect than this crap. Kirkland has looked chinny right from the very start of his career. It isn't some problem that has suddenly cropped up.

Oh well I guess if you were beating the drums for him before this fight, and if God knows how, you can find a way to keep banging the drum for him after this loss, than more power to you (and where can I get what you're smoking?)

im far from banging drums for the guy... i saw what happened but im not gonna label the guy a bum off one awful night either... as far as comparing prescott to the japenese guy that beat kirkland.. well i cant speak for anybody else but i had never heard of the guy (prescott) going into the khan fight... and since his defeat of khan he hasnt done much other than lose a couple of fights... the japenese guy rather a paper champion or not did at least at one time hold a strap... and he went out there motivated that he could win and took care of business on kirkland... whats in store for kirkland next?... hell if i know i was one of the first to say the kid needs a new trainer and that if they fought again id favor the jap again under the same conditions... so if my willingness to not call him a bum after such a defeat is beating his drums then so be it i suppose... lol... i was having a similar discussion with gravy in the lemieux thread bout rather lemieux is a bum after one loss or not... i wont do it... what i will say is neither guy is the contender some of us thought them to be... but bums... i wont label them as bums just yet... and for the record i was beating drums for kirkland before the fight... out of the 154 prospects he is one i havent thought much about recently because of his layoff and actually looked at the fight as a potential dangerous fight if anything for kirkland leading up to saturday (my thought was that he was being pushed to quick that fight being i want to say his 3rd this year)... other than the fact he's a texas boy and like to see our prospects do a lil sumthin i hadnt put much thought into him and never stated an opinion on the outcome of this fight leading into saturdays fight... so where you get that from is beyond me... lol...

This post has been edited by JLUVBABY: Apr 11 2011, 04:23 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Apr 11 2011, 04:22 AM
Post #22

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (AussieLad @ Apr 11 2011, 03:32 AM) *
He should have been allowed to continue, and the ref held him down. Not saying the outcome would have been much different, but he looked like he was capable of beating the count fairly easily

he could have beat the count aussie but it may be best for his confidence overall that the ref didnt allow him to continue... he can always tell himself had the ref let him up he would have found away to win that fight... which i dont believe as almost every punch the jap landed flush after the first kd punch seemed to hurt him (i never thought he fully got his legs back after that first kd...)...

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Apr 11 2011, 04:25 AM
Post #23

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Apr 11 2011, 04:18 AM) *
im far from banging drums for the guy... i saw what happened but im not gonna label the guy a bum off one awful night either... as far as comparing prescott to the japenese guy that beat kirkland.. well i cant speak for anybody else but i had never heard of the guy going into the khan fight... and since his defeat of khan he hasnt done much other than lose a couple of fights... the japenese guy rather a paper champion or not did at least at one time hold a strap... and he went out there motivated that he could win and took care of business on kirkland... whats in store for kirkland next?... hell if i know i was one of the first to say the kid needs a new trainer and that if they fought again id favor the jap again under the same conditions... so if my willingness to not call him a bum after such a defeat is beating his drums then so be it i suppose... lol... i was having a similar discussion with gravy in the lemieux thread bout rather lemieux is a bum after one loss or not... i wont do it... what i will say is neither guy is the contender some of us thought them to be... but bums... i wont label them as bums just yet... and for the record i was beating drums for kirkland before the fight... out of the 154 prospects he is one i havent thought much about recently because of his layoff and actually looked at the fight as a potential dangerous fight if anything for kirkland leading up to saturday (my thought was that he was being pushed to quick that fight being i want to say his 3rd this year)... other than the fact he's a texas boy and like to see our prospects do a lil sumthin i hadnt put much thought into him and never stated an opinion on the outcome of this fight leading into saturdays fight... so where you get that from is beyond me... lol...

I'm far from saying Kirkland is a bum based on this fight, I've been saying he was a bum from day one, even before going to prison. Feel free to check archived posts on the subject. Kirkland is for me a bit like Pavlik was for Fitz (except without K-Pav's acheivements.) I've just never been sold on the guy. Never ever. I never got what everyone was talking about and for me this loss is more about vindication of that belief rather than just throwing the dude under the bus for one bad performance.

You appear prepared to give him somewhat of a pass and see what the future holds. Well I'll do you a favour and tell you what Kirkland's future holds right now. Another KO loss to a journeyman level fighter.

This guy will never make it to championship level. I do hope he remains out of jail and wish him well in his future career........................as a taxi driver.

This post has been edited by The Ollie Reed Fan Club: Apr 11 2011, 04:25 AM

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Apr 11 2011, 04:30 AM
Post #24

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Apr 11 2011, 04:25 AM) *
I'm far from saying Kirkland is a bum based on this fight, I've been saying he was a bum from day one, even before going to prison. Feel free to check archived posts on the subject. Kirkland is for me a bit like Pavlik was for Fitz (except without K-Pav's acheivements.) I've just never been sold on the guy. Never ever. I never got what everyone was talking about and for me this loss is more about vindication of that belief rather than just throwing the dude under the bus for one bad performance.

You appear prepared to give him somewhat of a pass and see what the future holds. Well I'll do you a favour and tell you what Kirkland's future holds right now. Another KO loss to a journeyman level fighter.

This guy will never make it to championship level. I do hope he remains out of jail and wish him well in his future career........................as a taxi driver.

ok... i better understand your stance now... you just dont like the guy... lol... maybe he wont ever be a champ.. i wont say he ever will either at this point either... but i wont call him a bum after his first loss is what im saying.... a lot of fighters never became champ... does that make them bum fighters since they never wore a belt?

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Apr 11 2011, 04:36 AM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (caneman @ Apr 10 2011, 10:24 PM) *
I wonder if that fight was fixed? I don't get it either way! See here's the thing, after watching it again a few times, I know for a fact I could have handled every one of those punches & even slipped them...that 1st lefthand was nothing & none were killer punches & yet a pro is flopping around like a fish? IDK now....something smells really bad!

Nobody is mentioning loaded gloves. The punches didn't look like they had much on them. It was almost embarrassing how light they looked. Couple this with the guys record. He had only 7 previous KO's. Something looked and smelled fishy. On the other side of this, is Kirkland the next Jeff Lacy?

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Apr 11 2011, 04:36 AM
Post #26

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Apr 11 2011, 04:30 AM) *
ok... i better understand your stance now... you just dont like the guy... lol... maybe he wont ever be a champ.. i wont say he ever will either at this point either... but i wont call him a bum after his first loss is what im saying.... a lot of fighters never became champ... does that make them bum fighters since they never wore a belt?

Nope but in this case Kirkland is a bum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) funnily enough I don't mind the guy. I have seen several interviews since he came out of the slammer and he seems very humble and makes no excuses, good for him.

That loss though that's been comin for a while. Even check out some of pre-prison footage, this really shouldn't have surprised anyone.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Apr 11 2011, 04:38 AM
Post #27

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 11 2011, 04:36 AM) *
Nobody is mentioning loaded gloves. The punches didn't look like they had much on them. It was almost embarrassing how light they looked. Couple this with the guys record. He had only 7 previous KO's. Something looked and smelled fishy. On the other side of this, is Kirkland the next Jeff Lacy?

Jeff Lacy won a strap. Big difference.

James is closer to Darnell Wilson or possibly Edison Miranda, though I think Miranda was a little better than Kirkland.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Apr 11 2011, 05:16 AM
Post #28

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Apr 11 2011, 04:36 AM) *
Nope but in this case Kirkland is a bum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) funnily enough I don't mind the guy. I have seen several interviews since he came out of the slammer and he seems very humble and makes no excuses, good for him.

That loss though that's been comin for a while. Even check out some of pre-prison footage, this really shouldn't have surprised anyone.

like i say we could go back and fourth on this... not really worth it... you call him a bum i dont... lol... we will see in due time where he's at... i dont think he ever fully recovered from the first shot that put him down... rather they where hard or not apparently they where hard to him... lol... so with that said we shall see.. maybe my opinion of him would be different, but he has stood up to better shots in the past... i think he just got caught with the right punch on the right spot and simply could never recover.... it happens.. everything after that initial punch that dropped him that landed hurt him and for sure had him wobbled... he never got his legs back... well least thats what i saw... maybe hes a bum like you say... time will tell... lol...

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Apr 11 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #29

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

I wonder if over-activity had anything to do with the lack of resiliency to take punches. Wasn't it like his 3rd fight in a month or something?

+Quote Post
Maxy
post Apr 11 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #30

Born in England, Live in England, Die in England.

Member No.: 1,443

QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 11 2011, 09:25 AM) *
I wonder if over-activity had anything to do with the lack of resiliency to take punches. Wasn't it like his 3rd fight in a month or something?

Highly unlikely. His chin makes Amir Khans look like George Chuvalo. He got exposed and definitely ain't gonna make any noise in the future.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 09:33 PM