IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Teddy Atlas Be Bounced From ESPN Friday Night Fights?, Vote and Comment
Teddy Atlas on Friday Night Fights
Should Teddy Atlas Stay or Go on Friday Night Fights?
Yes-Dump Teddy [ 10 ] ** [28.57%]
No-Keep Teddy [ 22 ] ** [62.86%]
Unsure [ 3 ] ** [8.57%]
Total Votes: 35
Guests cannot vote 
Jack 1000
post Jun 19 2011, 06:10 AM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I try to be objective in my commentary assessments, but "No Doubt About it" Teddy Atlas is increasingly rubbing me the wrong way. I know his supporters say he doesn't sugar coat things. But I think his "Agenda" "national commission" which Atlas will never get through his head that you CAN'T national commission an international sport. Seriously, the man held Tyson's armature spit bucket and gets unjust credit for that. I do respect SOME of the things that he says. But he doesn't even score rounds with multiple knockdowns as less than 10-8. For a suspended "know it all" about boxing, that's just fucking retarded.

My assessment is that Atlas is a better writer than talker and his agendas are a turn off to ESPN boxing. To attract new viewers, boxing needs a mellow, knowledgeable announcer who can make the game fun and interesting to the casual viewer. Teddy's "My Way Or The Highway." is far more alienating than inviting. Has this man EVER admitted to being wrong about anything?

Was there ever a time when you believed Teddy was very good as a commentator and changed? He might have been OK for me years ago, but his personal agendas I believe have gotten worse. Do you like Atlas as a commentator? Sound he stay or go? This is a guy that got suspended from a telecast for punching an ESPN cameraman.

The only good time that I thought Atlas was good (and is good) is when he is lighting a firecracker under a fighter's ass like he did with Moorer against Holyfield the first time. His speech was great! In contrast to the Petronelli brothers when Hagler fought Leonard who did nothing for Hagler in that fight. Their passiveness may have cost Hagler the Middleweight Championship that night. But for Atlas, does a motivational speaker make a good trainer? Teddy may be a decent writer, but does his extreme arrogance and opinionatedness turn you off of Friday Night Fights?

Vote and comment! I will vote Yes, Atlas should go.

Does anyone know when Atlas' contract is up at ESPN?

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Jun 19 2011, 07:53 AM
Post #2

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 19 2011, 07:10 AM) *
I try to be objective in my commentary assessments, but "No Doubt About it" Teddy Atlas is increasingly rubbing me the wrong way. I know his supporters say he doesn't sugar coat things. But I think his "Agenda" "national commission" which Atlas will never get through his head that you CAN'T national commission an international sport. Seriously, the man held Tyson's armature spit bucket and gets unjust credit for that. I do respect SOME of the things that he says. But he doesn't even score rounds with multiple knockdowns as less than 10-8. For a suspended "know it all" about boxing, that's just fucking retarded.

My assessment is that Atlas is a better writer than talker and his agendas are a turn off to ESPN boxing. To attract new viewers, boxing needs a mellow, knowledgeable announcer who can make the game fun and interesting to the casual viewer. Teddy's "My Way Or The Highway." is far more alienating than inviting. Has this man EVER admitted to being wrong about anything?

Was there ever a time when you believed Teddy was very good as a commentator and changed? He might have been OK for me years ago, but his personal agendas I believe have gotten worse. Do you like Atlas as a commentator? Sound he stay or go? This is a guy that got suspended from a telecast for punching an ESPN cameraman.

The only good time that I thought Atlas was good (and is good) is when he is lighting a firecracker under a fighter's ass like he did with Moorer against Holyfield the first time. His speech was great! In contrast to the Petronelli brothers when Hagler fought Leonard who did nothing for Hagler in that fight. Their passiveness may have cost Hagler the Middleweight Championship that night. But for Atlas, does a motivational speaker make a good trainer? Teddy may be a decent writer, but does his extreme arrogance and opinionatedness turn you off of Friday Night Fights?

Vote and comment! I will vote Yes, Atlas should go.

Does anyone know when Atlas' contract is up at ESPN?

Jack

The guy's very opinionated. For me, that's not the problem. It's when he tries to force his beliefs on others that it becomes a problem. Like you said, he can be far more alienatin' than invitin' at times. The only time he even remotely captures my undivided attention, is when he speaks on 1 of my favorite boxers, FMJ. However, I'm even startin' to dislike that about him, 'cause he seems like he speaks about Mayweather with bias. When the media is my only source to get any type of official information/news on fighters, I expect the news to be unbiased as possible. Teddy tends to make people see 1 side of things. I hate when that happens. Should he be bounced from ESPN FNF? I'm unsure at the moment.

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Jun 19 2011, 08:17 AM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

I say keep him because of his knowledge of the prospects that fight on that network. Unless your going to bring on someone like Manny Stewart. People like Teddy and Manny still keep up with boxing at the ametuar level so by the time those fighters get to ESPN I can get a kind of detailed background. If your gonna get rid of somebody 86 Brian Kellys ass.

+Quote Post
bosco
post Jun 19 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #4

Flyweight

Member No.: 12,191

They most definitely should keep Teddy Atlas. He's like Charles Barkley. He's not gonna sugar coat how he feels or what he thinks. A lot of people respect his opinions as do a lot of people criticize them also. I would rather a person say what they really feel than say what they think people want to hear. Plus it's good to have that renegade type personality on FNF. And who cares if he slugged the cameraman...the guy could've been a slimeball and probably deserved it. HBO commentators are biased too. Pacquiao is god to Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant. You're gonna always have biased commentators. So I say keep Teddy...BANG!!! lol

+Quote Post
caneman
post Jun 19 2011, 10:56 AM
Post #5

Amateur

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,310

I said unsure, I mean Teddy is ok and I have no idea who could replace even though I'll bring up a name I have before Kevin Kelly would be good but he ain't a yes man! LOL

Many times I have said Teddy STFU ALREADY!

This post has been edited by caneman: Jun 19 2011, 10:57 AM

+Quote Post
salvador
post Jun 19 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

I like Atlas.

Boxing does need some kind of commission or international standardization of the sport so that things like ring sizes aren't used by the more popular fighter as a bargaining chip. The mere fact that it's possible that a ring can be either 18ft or 22ft depending on the style of the hometown fighter is disgraceful. And the fact that promoters are allowed to take whatever they want from the fighters they have signed to long term contracts is beyond immoral. Something needs to be done!

+Quote Post
HaydelHammer
post Jun 19 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #7

Welterweight

Member No.: 128

I got no beef with teddy. I guess he has grown on me through time. I can't think of anybody off the top of my head to throw on FNF. Kevin Kelley was pretty good though.

I do agree with your breakdown on Teddy not getting you just can't overnight deliver a commission for an international global sport such as boxing. You'd basically have to create a "league" first and HOPE other countries tag along (I can promise you if a league was formed the big promoters would obviously put up a fight and probably join forces and actually allow their "name" guys to fight one another in a effort to BURY the league lol)

Reminds me of the NFL / AFL merger. NBA /ABA...etc. Maybe it's time in boxing to shake things up like those sports had to do back then to get where they are today.

Getting back on teddy. He is very opinionated as one poster mentioned. His predictions are terrible for a former trainer also.

This post has been edited by HaydelHammer: Jun 19 2011, 11:22 AM

+Quote Post
caneman
post Jun 19 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #8

Amateur

Member No.: 1,310

BTW I thought Teddy washed Tyson's jock strap and held the spit bucket!

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Jun 19 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #9

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

QUOTE (caneman @ Jun 19 2011, 08:23 AM) *
BTW I thought Teddy washed Tyson's jock strap and held the spit bucket!

U forgot tickleing his balls

+Quote Post
HaydelHammer
post Jun 19 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #10

Welterweight

Member No.: 128

LMAO

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 12:08 AM