IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who are your top 5 defensive fighters of all time?, There are no wrong answers.
SmartyBeardo
post Jun 25 2011, 08:08 PM
Post #51

Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Jun 25 2011, 06:04 PM) *
better late then never...

Sweat Pea (personal Fav)
Robinson
ALI
Marciano
RJJ
Sugar Ray Robinson and Leonard

Mayweather
BHop
Toney
Winky
JuanManuel Marquez (pretty underrated IMO)

... i also like E. Augustus. i loved watchin him weave and kicc a leg up. His defense wasnt GREAT but unorthodox and fun to watch. Holmes, Duran and Marciano get the Honorable mention.

Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, and Dirrell get Honorable Mention for my Current Fighters

Interesting. I just can't count Winky and The Burger King active though, or I would have had them on my list.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
iKeNjiro
post Jun 26 2011, 08:04 AM
Post #52

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,431

This is just my complete list no order...I did however put the retired people 1st

#1 Ali (Greatest of All Time Across the board in an out of the ring)

Sweet Pea (beast)
Emanuel Augustus (puppet master...nuff said)
James Toney
Jack Johnson
Roy Jones Jr. (like everyone else said, had to be the best next to Ali as far as reflexes go)

Willie Pep
Sugar ray Robinson (must have been doing something right with a record like his)
Mike Tyson (in his prime)
Sugar Ray Leonard was good as well

BHop (lots of different things he can do to throw a fighter off, good defender)
Floyd Mayweather jr. (easy call highest hit to no hit ratio in the history of the sport)
Winky Wright (even though he got destroyed by Paul Williams he and Taylor knotted his eye up still a top defender)

Prince Naseem (even though he mostly fought D & C level fighters, he had really good reflexes and defense...wish he fought someone good, we saw what Barrera did to him)

check this montage out of the puppet master who is one of my All Time Fav. Defenders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyCqbLfv9ug

I went two over and clearly didn't follow instructions but this is my All Time Best Defender list IMO
Ali of course being number 1, the rest have no order

This post has been edited by iKeNjiro: Jun 26 2011, 08:12 AM

+Quote Post
JONdaCON817
post Jun 26 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #53

Welcome to the Dirty South

Member No.: 11,493

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 25 2011, 08:08 PM) *
Interesting. I just can't count Winky and The Burger King active though, or I would have had them on my list.

Yea i debated on that too. I honestly had no idea if Winky was even active. LOL

+Quote Post
JONdaCON817
post Jun 26 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #54

Welcome to the Dirty South

Member No.: 11,493

QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Jun 26 2011, 08:04 AM) *
This is just my complete list no order...I did however put the retired people 1st

#1 Ali (Greatest of All Time Across the board in an out of the ring)

Sweet Pea (beast)
Emanuel Augustus (puppet master...nuff said)
James Toney
Jack Johnson
Roy Jones Jr. (like everyone else said, had to be the best next to Ali as far as reflexes go)

Willie Pep
Sugar ray Robinson (must have been doing something right with a record like his)
Mike Tyson (in his prime)
Sugar Ray Leonard was good as well

BHop (lots of different things he can do to throw a fighter off, good defender)
Floyd Mayweather jr. (easy call highest hit to no hit ratio in the history of the sport)
Winky Wright (even though he got destroyed by Paul Williams he and Taylor knotted his eye up still a top defender)

Prince Naseem (even though he mostly fought D & C level fighters, he had really good reflexes and defense...wish he fought someone good, we saw what Barrera did to him)

check this montage out of the puppet master who is one of my All Time Fav. Defenders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyCqbLfv9ug

I went two over and clearly didn't follow instructions but this is my All Time Best Defender list IMO
Ali of course being number 1, the rest have no order

Beautiful list. Naseem was one of my fav too! But deff loved Augustus. Glad someone else appreciated his work!

+Quote Post
scallum
post Jun 28 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #55

Amateur

Member No.: 12,318

Pernell- Benitez-Pbf- PeP- Toney

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Jun 28 2011, 07:35 PM
Post #56

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,319

Whitaker
Mayweather

Are the best ever IMO as for Pep i could only go by what i've read and seen of him on film and to me he wasn't better than Pea or whitaker.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Jun 29 2011, 04:18 AM
Post #57

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 24 2011, 02:16 PM) *
Good lists.

The reason I did this thread is I started going back and checking out retired boxers again thanks to the thread asking whether Tszyu deserved to be in the IBHOF.

The tough part is choosing the top 5 because there are many great defensive fighters. Most must be left out.

Willie Pep
230(65)-11-1

Nicolino Locche
117(14)-4(1)-14

Carlos Monzon
87(59)-3-9

Muhammed Ali
56(37)-5

Wilfred Benitez
53(31)-8-1

I'm glad someone mentioned Nicolino Locche. Dude's defensive was ridiculous in his day.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Jul 25 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #58

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

LOL, I can't believe some of you bought into the Judah hype of the 'reformed' man. He was and always will be, soft. His defensive is terrible, that jab is sloppy as hell. He relies on good reflexes but nothing else is great.

Best defensive I have seen (there are many different types):

Floyd Mayweather Jr (here is a guy who can use his defence in the pocket and actually use it to absorb energy and then counter like nobody I have ever seen before).

James Toney (much like Floyd as far as absorbing the energy and then re-directing it). Unfortunately, the guy couldn't go on the front foot in the same manner as Floyd.

Locche (need I say more, couldn't break an egg but he would just make fools of his opposition).

Roy Jones Jr (perhaps the most athletic man that has ever graced the planet, without the best technique, he got away with just about anything due to his superior athletacism and barely had to take a punch over a good decade period).

BHOP (I never liked this guy and never will, but even I have been humbled at just how this guy does it. The master of snooze but he always manages to lul his opponents to sleep. Probably the most cagey fighter I have ever seen).

Willie Pep (need I say more).

Pernell Whitaker (both defensive wizard and cagey).

Fukced if I can tell what Jack Johnson is doing in there from that old footage but I will take the old timers word for his prowess.

Joe Gans + Benny Leonard.

This post has been edited by and the NEW: Jul 25 2011, 11:13 PM

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Jul 25 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #59

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (and the NEW @ Jul 25 2011, 05:17 PM) *
LOL, I can't believe some of you bought into the Judah hype of the 'reformed' man. He was and always will be, soft. His defensive is terrible, that jab is sloppy as hell. He relies on good reflexes but nothing else is great.

Best defensive I have seen (there are many different types):

Floyd Mayweather Jr (here is a guy who can use his defence in the pocket and actually use it to absorb energy and then counter like nobody I have ever seen before).

James Toney (much like Floyd as far as absorbing the energy and then re-directing it). Unfortunately, the guy couldn't go on the front foot in the same manner as Floyd.

Locche (need I say more, couldn't break an egg but he would just make fools of his opposition).

Roy Jones Jr (perhaps the most athletic man that has ever graced the planet, without the best technique, he got away with just about anything due to his superior athletacism and barely had to take a punch over a good decade period).

BHOP (I never liked this guy and never will, but even I have been humbled at just how this guy does it. The master of snooze but he always manages to lul his opponents to sleep. Probably the most cagey fighter I have ever seen).

Willie Pep (need I say more).

Pernell Whitaker (both defensive wizard and cagey).

Fukced if I can tell what Jack Johnson is doing in there from that old footage but I will take the old timers word his prowess.

Joe Gans + Benny Leonard.

Nice list. I would probably move Jonesin' jr. down to the bottom of that list though.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Jul 25 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #60

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

Yeh, sorry Beardo, the list is in no particular order! These guys are just very different but all great in their own ways.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 12:48 PM