IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@10:15PM(ET)/7:15PM(PT): Williams vs. Lara-SPOILERS 15 Mins Later, No Duplicate Threads, Public Streams, or Discussion of Showtime Card
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jul 11 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #111

Guests

Finally watched the fight, and I had it 8-4 for Lara, though there were at least 2-3 rounds that I think were pretty close earlier in the fight, and one of them I gave Lara and the other possibly Williams. At best case scenario, I could see a draw for Williams, but I thought the fight was going to be a lot wider. It was more competitive than I was expecting, but still a fight Lara should have won.

DMarv.......I literally can't believe you thought that fight should have been stopped, lol. That comment worse than the judges scorecard, there was absolutely no point in that fight that it could have been stopped, Williams was never seriously hurt either, was punching back. I will even go a step further and say that Williams didn't even take a beating. He got tagged with that left all night that he always gets tagged with, but he took no severe beating. Not sure how you came to the idea that the fight should have been stopped. At what point did you think the stoppage should have come?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jul 11 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #112

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Here's a copy of the Master Scoresheet from FightNews:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/williams-lara-update-89500

Jack

+Quote Post
BGv2.0
post Jul 11 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #113

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,304

QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 11 2011, 04:31 PM) *
Finally watched the fight, and I had it 8-4 for Lara, though there were at least 2-3 rounds that I think were pretty close earlier in the fight, and one of them I gave Lara and the other possibly Williams. At best case scenario, I could see a draw for Williams, but I thought the fight was going to be a lot wider. It was more competitive than I was expecting, but still a fight Lara should have won.

DMarv.......I literally can't believe you thought that fight should have been stopped, lol. That comment worse than the judges scorecard, there was absolutely no point in that fight that it could have been stopped, Williams was never seriously hurt either, was punching back. I will even go a step further and say that Williams didn't even take a beating. He got tagged with that left all night that he always gets tagged with, but he took no severe beating. Not sure how you came to the idea that the fight should have been stopped. At what point did you think the stoppage should have come?

Finally somebody saw the same fight I did.

Stopping that fight never seemed as if it should have been the case.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jul 11 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #114

Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 11 2011, 05:31 PM) *

I actually watched the fight a third time today, this time with no sound!

I have to admit that I was wrong... PWill wasn't in the danger I thought he was in. I think the commentators definitely influenced my perception of the fight. However, I do think PWill took a beating... not a Pacquiao-Margarito beating but still a pretty good beating. Scored the fight again and came up with 116-112 for Lara. Lara just couldn't miss with that left hand. If PWill fights Martinez again he'll go to sleep in the first round!

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jul 11 2011, 05:14 PM
Post #115

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

it depends on how you look at it really. on one hand Williams kept eating lefts and wasn't going to win, ending it early then getting him an easier fight could have been a better idea for someone coming back after a long layoff when he got stretched. on the other hand he took the shots pretty well and losing by stoppage would have been pretty bad for him. it wouldn't be a fight you stopped because they're getting busted up, just because they're far behind and taking a lot of shots.

Williams is lucky it didn't get stopped lol

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jul 11 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #116

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 11 2011, 06:14 PM) *
it depends on how you look at it really. on one hand Williams kept eating lefts and wasn't going to win, ending it early then getting him an easier fight could have been a better idea for someone coming back after a long layoff when he got stretched. on the other hand he took the shots pretty well and losing by stoppage would have been pretty bad for him. it wouldn't be a fight you stopped because they're getting busted up, just because they're far behind and taking a lot of shots.

Williams is lucky it didn't get stopped lol

That was my feeling... It was a dangerous fight for PWill... Lara didn't hit hard enough to knock him out but he did hit him hard enough to inflict damage.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jul 11 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #117

Guests

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 12 2011, 08:05 AM) *
I actually watched the fight a third time today, this time with no sound!

I have to admit that I was wrong... PWill wasn't in the danger I thought he was in. I think the commentators definitely influenced my perception of the fight. However, I do think PWill took a beating... not a Pacquiao-Margarito beating but still a pretty good beating. Scored the fight again and came up with 116-112 for Lara. Lara just couldn't miss with that left hand. If PWill fights Martinez again he'll go to sleep in the first round!

Cool cool. I understand about watching a fight live, it's easier to get caught up in the emotion, happens to me as when watching a fight live. But I watched it a day later, so I suppose I watched it under different circumstances.
But I agree, he was getting tagged with that left at will, and a couple of times, got Williams to back up and made his legs jolt momentarily. Though never thought he was in danger.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jul 11 2011, 05:19 PM
Post #118

Guests

The only way the fight could have been stopped is by his corner. If they felt he was eating too many shots and didn't look like winning the fight. But I think it could only have been up to the corner.
A referee or doctor had no grounds to stop the fight IMO.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jul 11 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #119

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 11 2011, 06:19 PM) *
The only way the fight could have been stopped is by his corner. If they felt he was eating too many shots and didn't look like winning the fight. But I think it could only have been up to the corner.
A referee or doctor had no grounds to stop the fight IMO.

yeah, i was only thinking of it as a corner stoppage. i don't know if i would have if i was his corner because finishing would have looked better than getting stopped.

+Quote Post
Imperius3
post Jul 11 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #120

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 931

I never thought the fight should have been stopped either. I believe that's a clear example of how the commentators can affect someones perception of the fight.

Fitz, did you watch the HBO broadcast of the fight, or something else with different commentators?

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 08:36 PM