IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greenburg axed, Davis probably next (Topics Merged), Rafael the new HBO matchmaker?
daprofessor
post Aug 12 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #21

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jul 15 2011, 09:34 PM) *
I'm not a huge boxing business guy but this guy got canned for letting one fighter got to a rival network? I mean it looked like he did some really good things at HBO and still has Mayweather Ortiz under the HBO umbrella. Must have been something else.

when u have guys like thomas hauser, dan rafael and steve kim championing bob arums cause when they write...it's easy to understand. outside of being huge critics...none have ever done anything business-wise in boxing that comes remotely close to the responsibilities greenburg had. apparently, they understand boxing better than the hbo execs. it puzzles me that none of them have filled the vacant position yet. i'm sorry...but matchmaking is not something dan rafael can do. the guy breaks stories first and that's nice for fans to read about...but clearly that doesn't qualify him to be a matchmaker. it's easy to play arm chair quarterback after the mistakes have been made.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 12 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #22

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Hops @ Jul 15 2011, 09:41 PM) *
Must have been the Bradley-Alexander stinker.

who knew up front that fight would turn out the way it did? prior to...everyone was going on about how it was the best vs the best in that division.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Aug 12 2011, 05:19 PM
Post #23

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 12 2011, 06:11 PM) *
who knew up front that fight would turn out the way it did? prior to...everyone was going on about how it was the best vs the best in that division.

I think everone recognised that it at least had 2 out of the best 3 in the division but if you checked the boards before this fight there was a pretty decent amount of an opinion that the fight would be chessmatch and stylistic nightmare ie. a boring fight and that is what we got.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 12 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Jul 16 2011, 02:46 AM) *
This guy deserved to be canned as he's definitely past his prime. over the last couple years he's brought us:
1) The bullshit amount of PPV views which should have been on the regular HBO program (ie: Mosley vs Mora; Jones Jr. vs Calzaghe; Mayweather vs Baldomir etc.)
2) the constant non-competitive matchups between young stars and sacrificial lambs
3) The constant 7-figure paydays awarded to berto for fighting nobodies (same as #2)
4) The immense favoritism the company gave to Golden Boy and Al Haymon while overlooking plenty of other solid fights (ie: Vazquez-Marquez series;

1) did u order those? i didn't.
2) i agree.
3) berto has been in some great fights on hbo. his last one with ortiz is foty in my book...and his fights with collazo and quintana were exciting.
4) there needs to be more than one source for fights besides bob arum. i don't know how u feel about it...but them passing on ssm/pac was a good move.

i do believe there is some truth to what the critics have to say about hbo. they do over-pay and need to budget a little better. guaranteeing guys paydays for taking on big risk is not a bad thing. i think it needs to be structured a little differently. the winner should get the guaranteed date...loser should be offered an undercard slot instead of headlining and the purse should reflect the risk.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Aug 12 2011, 05:22 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 12 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #25

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 12 2011, 05:19 PM) *
I think everone recognised that it at least had 2 out of the best 3 in the division but if you checked the boards before this fight there was a pretty decent amount of an opinion that the fight would be chessmatch and stylistic nightmare ie. a boring fight and that is what we got.

i guess i'm in the minority....i enjoy chess matches.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 08:28 PM