IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
>  WBC:Morales vs. Barrios For Bradley's Old Title, (Jose Suailman Topic Merged Here)
Jack 1000
post Jul 27 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #11

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I sense that there is very strong Mexican political bias with the sanctioning of Morales-Barrios for a WBC world championship. I hate the way that Jose Sulaiman, Bob Arum, and Delahoya's Golden Boy Promotions, are giving undeserving shots to Latin-American and Hispanic fighters, because of these political ties. It is not ethical for Tim Bradley to be kicked under the bus like this. others have suggested a support of Ring Belts instead of alphabet titles. However, not my comments to the post below:

QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Jul 27 2011, 11:30 AM) *
The only True Title in my opinion has been the RING Champion for some time now. I know some people disagree with the RING, but I have seen nothing better.

I think it may be the best for simplicity. But Ring Belts sometimes are more driven by popularity contests rather than elimination bouts in the Ring. My problem is that the Ring can never strip fighter for ANYTHING because they don't have the power to force fights inside the Ring. Now if the boxing networks start making Ring Champions fight inside squared-circle and over-riding the alphabet belts by actually boxing in the boxing ring, than you might have something with merit. If fact, up until the 70's, Ring Champions actually did fight top contenders for Ring Belts with the alphabet federations almost never mentioned.

If you want The Ring to get back to that system by having Ring Champions fight and defend belts in the ring than it really matters. But right now, it's based more on opinion, even though I think the Ring ratings ARE for the most part better than the alphabet ratings.

And I will never forget the Ring calling Corrie Sanders a heavyweight champion either! They also rated Gatti in a division that he never fought, based on his popularity with HBO. I do give Ring some credit for being easiest to follow the champions and contenders of any other boxing rating system.

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jul 27 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #12

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

BS but Morales vs Barrios will surely be a war..

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jul 27 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #13

The Consultant

I hate the Mexian favoritism bias of the WBC and Bob Arum:

You can be a former Mexican or Latin American Champion and commit some heinous act or try some heinous act, like Margacheato plastering his gloves before the Mosley fight, and the WBC, just because it is ruled by a little Mexican dictator in Sualiman acts like a defense attorney protecting a known guilty client giving him second, third, and forth chances. And when the general public says this is wrong and bad for boxing, Jose and Bob Arum, who's main agenda is protecting his Mexican-Latin American/PPV fan base says that the general public is discriminating against the fighter who did the bad act in the first place.

All this bribery and bullshit goes against so many of the great things and pound things that Mexican boxing HAS stood for, tradition, loyalty, class and respect. And when Bob and Jose come out and do these kinds of things that are so immoral and unethical it is very painful for our great sport.

And remember when Delahoya's Golden Boy Promotions was supposed to save boxing by NOT being like Arum and King? Hahahahahahaha!!! All three are doing the same shit!

Jack

+Quote Post
BoxingWizard23
post Jul 27 2011, 11:00 PM
Post #14

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,224

SMH. Erik Morales should have fought Lucas Matthysse for that title. Or the winner of the Guerrero-Maidana fight should get that title and unify with Khan. SMH these belts are all falling off. It's all about the money and less about the glory these days. The Ring belt and the WBC are the only belts that are legit and the WBC is losing it's credibility with it's bullshit rankings and sanctionings.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jul 27 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #15

The Consultant

QUOTE (BigG @ Jul 27 2011, 02:26 PM) *
BS but Morales vs Barrios will surely be a war..

I think so too!

Jack

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jul 28 2011, 02:18 AM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 28 2011, 02:51 PM) *
I think so too!

Jack

Jack1000, can you merge my 'Hopkins at 140' thread into my 'Hopkins at cruiser'

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Sunni6Killer
post Jul 28 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #17

Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,998

n a transparent, boldly biased, and rather pathetic move, the WBC has chosen to sanction a junior welterweight title fight between Erik Morales and Jorge Barrios on the September 17 Mayweather vs Ortiz pay-per-view undercard.

Let's count the ways that this sucks and not pretend that it doesn't.

First off, Timothy Bradley held the title. Fine, nobody likes Tim Bradley right now. But he was within his mandatory period. He just won the belt in January when he beat Devon Alexander. By the WBC's rules, there is no valid reason to strip Bradley of the belt right now. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Q: Why is the WBC stripping Timothy Bradley?
A: Because it benefits Erik Morales.

I hate to say this about Erik Morales, because I love him as a fighter. He's one of my absolute favorite fighters ever. And he still fights hard when he gets in the ring, and he's proven that his comeback wasn't quite as ill-advised as we all thought. He's a true boxing warrior. We all love Erik Morales.

But this is an obvious plot by the WBC to put their 140-pound belt on Morales, which would make him the first ever four-division "champion" in Mexican boxing history. It's cheap, it's obvious, and it sucks. Morales vs Barrios is a good fight, really. It should have plenty of action and be exciting, and might well steal the show on the card.

Star-divide

Here's the reality, though: Morales is ranked No. 3 by the WBC. This is silly enough (they also have Humberto Soto automatically ranked No. 4), but let's go a bit deeper. Let's talk about Barrios. He's never fought at 140 pounds. Ever. Not even once. And he's not a WBC "champion" moving up, either. He's not even ranked at 135 pounds -- not in their top 40. We're talking about a rankings list that includes the likes of Humberto Toledo, Dejan Zlaticanin, Logan McGuinness, and others.

I'm not intending to dump on those fighters, but what I'm saying is that obviously it's not exactly hard to be ranked by the WBC in a top 40, and frankly it's not THAT hard to get ranked in a legitimate, unbiased top 40 in any division either. Barrios, for the record, is definitely one of the 40 top lightweights in the world. Top 20, even, arguably top 15. But we're not dealing with unbiased rankings. We're dealing with the WBC's rankings.

But he has never fought at 140, and he has no business fighting for a vacant title. It does not add up. This is pure, unfiltered bias from the WBC, and anyone can see it. If Morales wins, the WBC and Golden Boy and probably HBO will celebrate and go nuts, but it will be an empty fourth title, and it will diminish what should have been a momentous moment, even in an era of useless title belts that are thrown around willy nilly.

And if the WBC weren't showing bias here, and they decided to wrongly strip Timothy Bradley of the belt anyway, the fight that should be for the vacant title is the already-scheduled eliminator on September 30 between Ali Chebah and Ajose Olusegun. I said all of this yesterday, but it's worth repeating. And certainly, this is all just my opinion. You are free to disagree if you wish, and praise Morales vs Barrios as a great title fight, and that's fine, I guess, but I just can't get on board with this. It even lessens my excitement for what IS, again, a GOOD FIGHT that should be fun to watch. Because they've tacked on this belt and will completely ignore that it's an obvious, cheap tactic to crown Erik Morales. If anyone deserves to be cheaply crowned, sure, it's someone like Erik Morales.

But I don't think he deserves the backlash that this news will bring from people who know what it really is, either. This is criticism that should be directed at the WBC. All Morales and Golden Boy did was take advantage

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/7/28/23012...ortiz-undercard

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Jul 28 2011, 06:04 PM
Post #18

I fucked with the wrong monkey...

Group: Guests
Member No.: 12,696

why does it suck? I know we all expect the normally upright WBC to adhere to their concisely outlined procedures, but we ought not classify their organization as corrupt or biased because of this one, isolated decision.

+Quote Post
Romulus9
post Jul 28 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #19

Formerly wvu8893

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2,334

The WBC has been a joke for a long, long time.

They haven't been upright in years.

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Jul 28 2011, 06:32 PM
Post #20

I fucked with the wrong monkey...

Group: Guests
Member No.: 12,696

it's called irony and sarcasm

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 08:05 PM