IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who is true boxer of decade (2001-2010)
SENTRAL
post Aug 17 2011, 10:25 AM
Post #31

Super Flyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,900

It is rather sad how Mayweather seems to have been given a pass for what is quite frankly a very poor resume post 2004.  Yes, I think we all agree Mayweather is a fantastically talented exponent of the noble art but in terms of quality of opposition he falls way behind most, if not all, of the great fighters some of his fans believe he is better than.

He has sadly managed to hypnotize the foolish into believing he is a ring legend but his inactivity, cherry picking and highly unimpressive resume begs to differ by quite some margin.  I won't deny that he is a far more formidable boxer than his resume suggests but in this sport if you don't face the best you cannot look back and claim you were the best.  You have to prove it.

His fans give him his dues for taking a big shot from Mosley, who we all know was old and slower than in his prime, and going onto dominate the fight.  Well Vernon Forrest dominated Mosley in a far superior  manner than Floyd managed to do and it was a much better version of Shane back then too.  He barely scraped past another old fighter in De La Hoya and yet he is excused for this.  Ricky Hatton was beaten at 147, a weight Ricky was very ineffective at, and is used as a good opponent whom Floyd defeated.  Ahem, this is the same Ricky Hatton who ALWAYS faced ridicule by fight fans before Floyd beat him.  Once he did are we supposed to be impressed?  Gatti was made for him, a good fighter but never a threat to Mayweather and never a threat to most genuine world class boxers.  Judah?  No, we can't have Judah on a list of the fighters he's beaten and be impressed by it.  The list goes on and on.

Yep, at 130 and 135 Floyd was a delight to watch and actually seemed to be in love with the sport.  He was genuinely exciting, genuinely magnificent to watch.  He perhaps lost the first Castillo fight but made amends in the rematch and everything pointed to him going onto become a modern ring legend.  Then I think he fell out of love with boxing, began to believe he was untouchable and adopted the fake gangsta persona he so badly fails to pull off.  His hip hop friends, his inactivity, his woeful resume post 2004, his diatribe and slanderous comments from both himself and his crazy family, seems to have been bought by the fans who so idolize him.  He is not near to be the greatest at 130, 135, 140, 147 or any CW he decides to take part in.  Nobody can dispute that and I will tear down and rip to pieces ANY poster who claims he is the greatest at any of those weight divisions.  It's become a sickening disease to laud this man as if he is the second
coming of Ray Robinson and I feel his fans need to do some research on the sport of boxing pre-Mayweather so as to educate themselves and stop themselves from looking so abhorrently foolish in the future.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 17 2011, 10:55 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 1,253

2000-2010?

Ex. Has all the big names and THEN some.

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 17 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #33

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Aug 16 2011, 10:31 PM) *
41-0 without the hype job and "good guy, I love the people, I am Mr. Humble" image. Raw talent with great work ethic. Opponents that were a challenge and not carefully hand picked or coming off of loses or horrible performances.

Interesting. So Gatti wasnt hand picked, or suffered losses? DLH? Corley? I mean, who the FUCK was Carlos Baldomir? He was selling fucking feather dusters on the street (that's worse than some of the custodial arts majors that Roy handpicked). Henry Brussels? In front of an EMPTY American Airlines Arena.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 17 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #34

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 17 2011, 01:49 AM) *
With each post you sound more and more like a clown. To paraphrase a very famous quote on these boards, 'whaddya going to do, hit with me typeby?'

First you are 'stating the facts' then it's just your 'opinion.' Well which one is it? I'll say what I want about Zab, and that is that he hasn't had much of a career. Only one win against Cory Spinks and that's IT. Yet somehow in your Floydcentric world a win over Zab is better than a win over Morales, Barerra or JMM. I mean heck I'm happy to start a thread/vote where we can see which other fight fans think if it is a better win. You wanna put some money on who would win that bet?

Now go and suck on mommy's tit and if you're really lucky she may read you a bedtime story, clearly you like fairytales (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Talking to you is like conversating with a teenager. My "opinion" includes "stating the facts". There's a difference idiot. I love floyd, manny, and bernard. But when you take a close look at their bodies of work as a whole manny isn't in the convo. In my "opinion" he hasn't beaten JMM. I think he's going to destroy JMM in Nov. He has beaten legends but he has losses in that time period, draws also, and contorversial wins(JMM). B hop and Mayweather can claim none of that. B hopp has controversial losses. By your acct, Zab is not a worthy W for Floyd. Ok, that's your opinion. But I could say the same for those victories over hatton and cotto. Cotto was busted up by margarito, he wasn't any good. And who has he beaten? Some believe he lost to sugar shane. It's just an observation. You believe what you want but yourdelusional to think that I favor one over the other due to being a fan as I'm a fan of floyd, manny, and b hop...who are clearly ahead of the pack for this kind of honor

+Quote Post
caneman
post Aug 17 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #35

Amateur

Member No.: 1,310

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 17 2011, 11:31 AM) *
Talking to you is like conversating with a teenager. My "opinion" includes "stating the facts". There's a difference idiot. I love floyd, manny, and bernard. But when you take a close look at their bodies of work as a whole manny isn't in the convo. In my "opinion" he hasn't beaten JMM. I think he's going to destroy JMM in Nov. He has beaten legends but he has losses in that time period, draws also, and contorversial wins(JMM). B hop and Mayweather can claim none of that. B hopp has controversial losses. By your acct, Zab is not a worthy W for Floyd. Ok, that's your opinion. But I could say the same for those victories over hatton and cotto. Cotto was busted up by margarito, he wasn't any good. And who has he beaten? Some believe he lost to sugar shane. It's just an observation. You believe what you want but yourdelusional to think that I favor one over the other due to being a fan as I'm a fan of floyd, manny, and b hop...who are clearly ahead of the pack for this kind of honor

I NEVER heard anyone who thought Shane beat Cotto and for the record while I believe Pac fucked up bad by taking some of the fight he took as of late, mainly not going after Berto, IMO it's hard to knock his resume and say FMJ's is better! If you are gonna say who did Cotto ever beat, it is more so for Zab since that damaged Cotto you talk of smoked him! Whatever though...........

+Quote Post
caneman
post Aug 17 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #36

Amateur

QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Aug 17 2011, 10:25 AM) *
It is rather sad how Mayweather seems to have been given a pass for what is quite frankly a very poor resume post 2004.  Yes, I think we all agree Mayweather is a fantastically talented exponent of the noble art but in terms of quality of opposition he falls way behind most, if not all, of the great fighters some of his fans believe he is better than.

He has sadly managed to hypnotize the foolish into believing he is a ring legend but his inactivity, cherry picking and highly unimpressive resume begs to differ by quite some margin.  I won't deny that he is a far more formidable boxer than his resume suggests but in this sport if you don't face the best you cannot look back and claim you were the best.  You have to prove it.

His fans give him his dues for taking a big shot from Mosley, who we all know was old and slower than in his prime, and going onto dominate the fight.  Well Vernon Forrest dominated Mosley in a far superior  manner than Floyd managed to do and it was a much better version of Shane back then too.  He barely scraped past another old fighter in De La Hoya and yet he is excused for this.  Ricky Hatton was beaten at 147, a weight Ricky was very ineffective at, and is used as a good opponent whom Floyd defeated.  Ahem, this is the same Ricky Hatton who ALWAYS faced ridicule by fight fans before Floyd beat him.  Once he did are we supposed to be impressed?  Gatti was made for him, a good fighter but never a threat to Mayweather and never a threat to most genuine world class boxers.  Judah?  No, we can't have Judah on a list of the fighters he's beaten and be impressed by it.  The list goes on and on.

Yep, at 130 and 135 Floyd was a delight to watch and actually seemed to be in love with the sport.  He was genuinely exciting, genuinely magnificent to watch.  He perhaps lost the first Castillo fight but made amends in the rematch and everything pointed to him going onto become a modern ring legend.  Then I think he fell out of love with boxing, began to believe he was untouchable and adopted the fake gangsta persona he so badly fails to pull off.  His hip hop friends, his inactivity, his woeful resume post 2004, his diatribe and slanderous comments from both himself and his crazy family, seems to have been bought by the fans who so idolize him.  He is not near to be the greatest at 130, 135, 140, 147 or any CW he decides to take part in.  Nobody can dispute that and I will tear down and rip to pieces ANY poster who claims he is the greatest at any of those weight divisions.  It's become a sickening disease to laud this man as if he is the second
coming of Ray Robinson and I feel his fans need to do some research on the sport of boxing pre-Mayweather so as to educate themselves and stop themselves from looking so abhorrently foolish in the future.

Very good post with solid points IMO! Good work!!!

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Aug 17 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #37

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 17 2011, 11:31 AM) *
Talking to you is like conversating with a teenager. My "opinion" includes "stating the facts". There's a difference idiot. I love floyd, manny, and bernard. But when you take a close look at their bodies of work as a whole manny isn't in the convo. In my "opinion" he hasn't beaten JMM. I think he's going to destroy JMM in Nov.

Of course Manny (and Hopkins) took some losses, that is what is going to happen when you take on consistently tough guys.

Well since opinions count as facts in your reckoning it is the opinion of many posters on this board that Floyd did not beat Castillo in their first fight. So does that count as well? There you go again clinging to Floyd's 'O' like a life raft in the sea. If that's the case then perhaps we should bring Calzaghe into the convo?

Think before you type Sparky. Honestly you Mayweather fans are so easy to discredit it's a joke.

Next.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Aug 17 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #38

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Aug 17 2011, 10:25 AM) *

You know I like your posting style and wish you would get off your lazy ass and post more often, this may be your best post to date. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 17 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 17 2011, 02:26 PM) *
I NEVER heard anyone who thought Shane beat Cotto and for the record while I believe Pac fucked up bad by taking some of the fight he took as of late, mainly not going after Berto, IMO it's hard to knock his resume and say FMJ's is better! If you are gonna say who did Cotto ever beat, it is more so for Zab since that damaged Cotto you talk of smoked him! Whatever though...........

I thought Shane edged Cotto at the end, brother. Sorry. I thought he did just enough to win the fight. Unfortunately for me, Shane didnt think he won (as evidenced by his post-fight speech), so it's hard to argue for him. Haha.

+Quote Post
caneman
post Aug 17 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #40

Amateur

QUOTE (Method @ Aug 17 2011, 04:46 PM) *
I thought Shane edged Cotto at the end, brother. Sorry. I thought he did just enough to win the fight. Unfortunately for me, Shane didnt think he won (as evidenced by his post-fight speech), so it's hard to argue for him. Haha.

I thought Cotto won by at least 2 and close to 3 rounds but all good!

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 11:54 AM