IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Where is the old guard?, What the fuck has happened?
STEVENSKI
post Aug 18 2011, 03:05 AM
Post #1

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

Seriously what has happened with this MB. All the old guard seem to vanished? JD, CEO & plenty of others seem to have just vanished. Is it the influx of the borderline retarded folk on here who only talk about one subject & two fighters?

What has happened to this site?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
BGv2.0
post Aug 19 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,304

It's not that people are gone...it's the sport.

If you recall just a few weeks ago for the Haye/Wlad fight....this board was jumping again for about a 2 week period, with EVERYBODY and then some putting in their two cents on a huge fight....

The problem is...there are MAJOR lulls between "HUGE" fights.....even the lower teir, yet still significant fights often are anti-clamatic or get called off...

the latest being Ghost and Maidana...that was a decent match-up, not worthy of PBF/Pac standards, but still a significant bout....now we may as well compare dick sizes because that fight's been called off!

It's the sport that is causing even die hards to not have too much of an interest.

I'll bet all the older posters do the same thing I do...I'll check the front page about 2 times per week and if there is something worthy of talking about I'll weigh in....but here of late...there has been very little.

PBF's fight is a a little ways off. I'm sure it will pick up a bit for the Vitali/Adamek fight...BUT...just until it turns out to be ANOTHER BORING Klit win...then it will stagnate again.

This is why I argue with those that claim "champs" like the Klits and PBF are anything other than horrible for the sport. Sure they have talent, sure they get the win...but when it's done in boring fashion (the excpetion being PBF's last scrap with Shane)...even die hard fans get VERY, VERY F'N bored with them.

Then you have spectacular guys like Gatti and Diaz that have passed away or retired....they may not have had the most talent, but they provided excitment. A lot of the younger guys coming up practive a saftey first stance and are not willing to lay it all on the line....this can be seen fromt he smaller division all the way up to HW....now you can argue as fans and spectators if that's a good or bad stand to have as far as health issues and whatnot....but as far as fans interest...once again...you have a guy like Zab Judah quit instead of going out on his shield...again...anti-clamatic...not worth discussing.

Between the lack of desire on fighter's parts....which often includes lack of conditioning, greed taking presidence over fights, ugly/dirty refs and judges, anti-climatic endings, boring champions, fights not taking place, too many PPVs...

well...there's just not a lot to discuss...for sure if you came from those older generations that saw excellent eras first hand.

That's why it really erks me to have to defend myself when people try to argue that this current HW division is "decent" or "not all that bad"......that's a younger fans argument...because if you had lived thru the 80's-90....you could never type that with a straight face.

The same can be said for the lighter divisions as well....although I do give them credit for not being AS BAD as the HW divison. That being said, they are still not the era of SRL and Herns and Hagler etc.

WHEN...or more to the point...IF boxing on the whole gets "better"....everything will get better from message boards to fan interest....

It's the sport....not the fan.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Aug 19 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #3

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Aug 19 2011, 03:42 PM) *
It's not that people are gone...it's the sport.

If you recall just a few weeks ago for the Haye/Wlad fight....this board was jumping again for about a 2 week period, with EVERYBODY and then some putting in their two cents on a huge fight....

The problem is...there are MAJOR lulls between "HUGE" fights.....even the lower teir, yet still significant fights often are anti-clamatic or get called off...

the latest being Ghost and Maidana...that was a decent match-up, not worthy of PBF/Pac standards, but still a significant bout....now we may as well compare dick sizes because that fight's been called off!

It's the sport that is causing even die hards to not have too much of an interest.

I'll bet all the older posters do the same thing I do...I'll check the front page about 2 times per week and if there is something worthy of talking about I'll weigh in....but here of late...there has been very little.

PBF's fight is a a little ways off. I'm sure it will pick up a bit for the Vitali/Adamek fight...BUT...just until it turns out to be ANOTHER BORING Klit win...then it will stagnate again.

This is why I argue with those that claim "champs" like the Klits and PBF are anything other than horrible for the sport. Sure they have talent, sure they get the win...but when it's done in boring fashion (the excpetion being PBF's last scrap with Shane)...even die hard fans get VERY, VERY F'N bored with them.

Then you have spectacular guys like Gatti and Diaz that have passed away or retired....they may not have had the most talent, but they provided excitment. A lot of the younger guys coming up practive a saftey first stance and are not willing to lay it all on the line....this can be seen fromt he smaller division all the way up to HW....now you can argue as fans and spectators if that's a good or bad stand to have as far as health issues and whatnot....but as far as fans interest...once again...you have a guy like Zab Judah quit instead of going out on his shield...again...anti-clamatic...not worth discussing.

Between the lack of desire on fighter's parts....which often includes lack of conditioning, greed taking presidence over fights, ugly/dirty refs and judges, anti-climatic endings, boring champions, fights not taking place, too many PPVs...

well...there's just not a lot to discuss...for sure if you came from those older generations that saw excellent eras first hand.

That's why it really erks me to have to defend myself when people try to argue that this current HW division is "decent" or "not all that bad"......that's a younger fans argument...because if you had lived thru the 80's-90....you could never type that with a straight face.

The same can be said for the lighter divisions as well....although I do give them credit for not being AS BAD as the HW divison. That being said, they are still not the era of SRL and Herns and Hagler etc.

WHEN...or more to the point...IF boxing on the whole gets "better"....everything will get better from message boards to fan interest....

It's the sport....not the fan.

Thanks! This is exactly what I feel!

The problem is there is nothing in the sport to talk about anymore other than the occasional Mayweather-Pacquiao tidbits, and several of the recent fights and issues have been so disappointing, such as Klitschko-Haye. To be honest, the officiating in Mares-Agbeko left such a bitter taste in my mouth about the sport that it just won't go away. It like a bad dream from which you can't escape, and countless fights that have not lived up to the hype, and what there has been to talk about has been negative and controversial.

No one has done anything wrong. The problem is the only big thing in the sport is Mayweather-Pacquaio "take the test." stuff. You know the good thing about the shitty ref in Mares-Agbeko? For several days, we had conversation on this board that was NOT about Mayweather-Pacquiao. It was a breath of fresh air. However, now that the rematch has been mandated before December 14th, even everything that's had to be said about the controversy has been said. Unless new evidence comes out about the fight.

Magazines that used to cover boxing have gone under or have reduced their publications to almost nothing. The Internet took over from the printed medium, but you still have to have things in boxing to talk about. Keep in mind that it may take as little as ONE big event in boxing to get the board going again. Boxing's in a lull. There have been lulls throughout boxing history. Joe Louis' "Bum of The Month" club. Ali's exile from about 1968-1970 after Foley to before Quarry. A couple of mediocre heavyweights in the mid 80's, like some of the alphabet champions between the Holmes era and the Tyson era that could bore people to death, (i.e Bonecrusher Smith, Tony Tubbs, Greg Page.) In fact, the heavyweight division has reached that pile of shit today. maybe worse. It's totally the sport and a disenfranchised interest in the sport.

Announcers are aging, fighters are aging, judges are aging, and the vested interest in young people has moved to an MMA platform. People are reducing their Premium channel services, or cutting cable and TV vendors altogether and just going with OTA (over-the air) with an antenna, because of inflation and the economy. It's not just our forum, it's every boxing forum, every TV network, every publication for boxing, the interest is no longer there, because there's NOTHING INTERESTING happening in boxing at this point in time.

It is impossible to please everybody. Ben was happy to draw new traffic to the forum with the influx of Mayweather-Pacquiao posters and posts. I had no problem with that. I was upset that many of our long-time members are no longer around anymore. And maybe it is a real challenge, Striking a balance between the classic old members who made this place legendary, but giving some insight to the new members as well. Maybe their scope of boxing was/is limited to Mayweather-Pacquaio, and they might have not been accustomed to some of our forum expectations.

In my judgment, no one did anything to cause this lull in boxing concerning anything on the forum. It's the sport and the industry itself that right now is in the shitter. All we can do is wait and hope that the next big thing in the world of boxing, wthatever that may be, gets the interest going again. I second the argument, the problem is not the forums, it's the current state of the sport itself.

Jack

Administrator

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Aug 19 2011, 11:26 PM
Post #4

Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 19 2011, 07:35 PM) *
Thanks! This is exactly what I feel!

The problem is there is nothing in the sport to talk about anymore other than the occasional Mayweather-Pacquiao tidbits, and several of the recent fights and issues have been so disappointing, such as Klitschko-Haye. To be honest, the officiating in Mares-Agbeko left such a bitter taste in my mouth about the sport that it just won't go away. It like a bad dream from which you can't escape, and countless fights that have not lived up to the hype, and what there has been to talk about has been negative and controversial.

No one has done anything wrong. The problem is the only big thing in the sport is Mayweather-Pacquaio "take the test." stuff. You know the good thing about the shitty ref in Mares-Agbeko? For several days, we had conversation on this board that was NOT about Mayweather-Pacquiao. It was a breath of fresh air. However, now that the rematch has been mandated before December 14th, even everything that's had to be said about the controversy has been said. Unless new evidence comes out about the fight.

Magazines that used to cover boxing have gone under or have reduced their publications to almost nothing. The Internet took over from the printed medium, but you still have to have things in boxing to talk about. Keep in mind that it may take as little as ONE big event in boxing to get the board going again. Boxing's in a lull. There have been lulls throughout boxing history. Joe Louis' "Bum of The Month" club. Ali's exile from about 1968-1970 after Foley to before Quarry. A couple of mediocre heavyweights in the mid 80's, like some of the alphabet champions between the Holmes era and the Tyson era that could bore people to death, (i.e Bonecrusher Smith, Tony Tubbs, Greg Page.) In fact, the heavyweight division has reached that pile of shit today. maybe worse. It's totally the sport and a disenfranchised interest in the sport.

Announcers are aging, fighters are aging, judges are aging, and the vested interest in young people has moved to an MMA platform. People are reducing their Premium channel services, or cutting cable and TV vendors altogether and just going with OTA (over-the air) with an antenna, because of inflation and the economy. It's not just our forum, it's every boxing forum, every TV network, every publication for boxing, the interest is no longer there, because there's NOTHING INTERESTING happening in boxing at this point in time.

It is impossible to please everybody. Ben was happy to draw new traffic to the forum with the influx of Mayweather-Pacquiao posters and posts. I had no problem with that. I was upset that many of our long-time members are no longer around anymore. And maybe it is a real challenge, Striking a balance between the classic old members who made this place legendary, but giving some insight to the new members as well. Maybe their scope of boxing was/is limited to Mayweather-Pacquaio, and they might have not been accustomed to some of our forum expectations.

In my judgment, no one did anything to cause this lull in boxing concerning anything on the forum. It's the sport and the industry itself that right now is in the shitter. All we can do is wait and hope that the next big thing in the world of boxing, wthatever that may be, gets the interest going again. I second the argument, the problem is not the forums, it's the current state of the sport itself.

Jack

Administrator

Can't argue with that, Jack.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- STEVENSKI   Where is the old guard?   Aug 18 2011, 03:05 AM
- - Method   QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 18 2011, 04:05 AM)...   Aug 18 2011, 04:38 AM
- - STEVENSKI   Sad to see Meth. At least when we all had a differ...   Aug 18 2011, 05:02 AM
- - Imperius3   The old guard is still around, just nothing real h...   Aug 18 2011, 05:24 AM
- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   I don't know if they've even old old guard...   Aug 18 2011, 05:29 AM
|- - Snoop   QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 18 2011,...   Aug 19 2011, 07:54 AM
|- - lloyd mayflower   QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 19 2011, 01:54 PM) Hid...   Aug 19 2011, 08:05 AM
|- - Snoop   QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 19 2011, 02...   Aug 19 2011, 08:17 AM
- - STEVENSKI   I was thinking about Blaze the other day. I rememb...   Aug 18 2011, 05:59 AM
|- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 18 2011, 06:59 AM)...   Aug 18 2011, 06:06 AM
- - SENTRAL   Far from being part of the old guard I am a relati...   Aug 18 2011, 06:37 AM
|- - thehype   QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Aug 18 2011, 07:37 AM) I...   Aug 18 2011, 11:35 AM
|- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Aug 18 2011, 06:37 AM) I...   Aug 18 2011, 04:14 PM
- - caneman   I had noticed it started right after the after dar...   Aug 18 2011, 07:50 AM
- - cshel86   Im relatively new here, and I actually switched fr...   Aug 18 2011, 08:56 AM
- - lloyd mayflower   Did CEO not say a couple of months ago he was taki...   Aug 18 2011, 09:19 AM
- - daprofessor   i'm new to this board...but have noticed a tre...   Aug 18 2011, 02:19 PM
|- - Imperius3   QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 18 2011, 02:19 P...   Aug 19 2011, 04:10 AM
|- - Maxy   QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Aug 19 2011, 05:10 AM)...   Aug 19 2011, 04:23 AM
- - thehype   The "good ol' days" of boxing were a...   Aug 18 2011, 03:12 PM
|- - EAlbian   QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 18 2011, 04:12 PM) T...   Aug 18 2011, 05:20 PM
- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   That's it. I'm gonna reach out to a Mod an...   Aug 18 2011, 05:46 PM
|- - lloyd mayflower   QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 18 2011,...   Aug 18 2011, 05:47 PM
- - King Eugene   I've been around but dont post as much anymore...   Aug 18 2011, 05:56 PM
|- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 18 2011, 06:56 P...   Aug 18 2011, 06:05 PM
- - thehype   You know, I seem to remember some private forum th...   Aug 18 2011, 07:09 PM
|- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 18 2011, 08:09 PM) Y...   Aug 18 2011, 07:33 PM
|- - Romulus9   QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 18 2011,...   Aug 18 2011, 07:39 PM
- - sduck   I've been skimming this forum for a while but ...   Aug 18 2011, 07:16 PM
- - lloyd mayflower   I dont have much experience, or interest in other ...   Aug 18 2011, 07:25 PM
- - Hops   Make that private forum semi-private. New timers w...   Aug 18 2011, 07:59 PM
|- - Romulus9   QUOTE (Hops @ Aug 18 2011, 08:59 PM) Make...   Aug 18 2011, 08:05 PM
|- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   QUOTE (Hops @ Aug 18 2011, 08:59 PM) Make...   Aug 18 2011, 08:11 PM
- - Big Slim Sweet   I've been around and continue to check in and ...   Aug 18 2011, 09:46 PM
- - Hops   Maybe I'm wrong. But I think the old guards po...   Aug 18 2011, 10:43 PM
- - Mean Mister Mustard   I'm still here, though I don't post quite ...   Aug 18 2011, 10:54 PM
- - Maxy   It's too easy to get banned these days and som...   Aug 19 2011, 03:21 AM
|- - STEVENSKI   QUOTE (Maxy @ Aug 19 2011, 06:21 PM) It...   Aug 19 2011, 03:46 AM
|- - Maxy   QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 19 2011, 03:46 AM)...   Aug 19 2011, 04:06 AM
- - rusty_trombone   Damn, CEO don't post anymore. That dude was my...   Aug 19 2011, 09:03 AM
- - Seek   QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 18 2011, 03:05 AM)...   Aug 19 2011, 01:54 PM
- - blackbelt2003   QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 18 2011, 09:05 AM)...   Aug 19 2011, 03:12 PM
- - BGv2.0   It's not that people are gone...it's the s...   Aug 19 2011, 03:42 PM
|- - Jack 1000   QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Aug 19 2011, 03:42 PM) It...   Aug 19 2011, 09:35 PM
|- - SmartyBeardo   QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 19 2011, 07:35 PM)...   Aug 19 2011, 11:26 PM
|- - Seek   QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 19 2011, 09:35 PM)...   Aug 20 2011, 12:57 PM
- - King Eugene   I like Team Fighthype because Hype use to come in ...   Aug 19 2011, 06:15 PM
- - KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN   I'll be around...Just don't post much caus...   Aug 19 2011, 08:47 PM
- - Hops   So let's ask the old guards. Oops! Some of...   Aug 20 2011, 12:08 AM
|- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   QUOTE (Hops @ Aug 20 2011, 01:08 AM) So l...   Aug 20 2011, 05:40 AM
|- - AussieLad   QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 20 2011,...   Aug 20 2011, 06:15 AM
- - Hops   Impossible for them to turn on one another. They...   Aug 20 2011, 06:10 AM
- - Warlord   Bring back Reg_One. Track down Lefthook. Dig up ...   Aug 20 2011, 08:30 AM
|- - Jack 1000   QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 20 2011, 08:30 AM) B...   Aug 20 2011, 03:23 PM
- - SmartyBeardo   Seems as though there is a Floydiot boycott underw...   Aug 20 2011, 01:51 PM
- - JLUVBABY   I read this stuff everyday but you can only speak ...   Aug 20 2011, 02:29 PM
- - SmartyBeardo   21 of 27 threads on the first page are on subjects...   Aug 20 2011, 02:42 PM
- - caneman   Correct me if I am wrong but lefthook ain't ev...   Aug 20 2011, 03:38 PM
|- - Jack 1000   QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 20 2011, 03:38 PM) C...   Aug 20 2011, 04:13 PM
- - Jack 1000   I talked to Ben, Asking him to respond in more de...   Aug 20 2011, 07:09 PM
- - SmartyBeardo   A better question for this thread, at this point, ...   Aug 21 2011, 10:33 AM
- - BGv2.0   I bumped into Lefthook a few years back on the boa...   Aug 22 2011, 12:06 AM
|- - Jack 1000   QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Aug 22 2011, 12:06 AM) I ...   Aug 22 2011, 01:03 PM
- - SmartyBeardo   MarzB, Torvix and mexi-cutioner should be pardoned...   Aug 22 2011, 07:29 AM
|- - JLUVBABY   QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 22 2011, 07:29 ...   Aug 22 2011, 03:00 PM
|- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 22 2011, 03:00 PM) ...   Aug 22 2011, 04:19 PM
- - Maxy   mexi-cutioner was bullied into a banning. Yeah he...   Aug 22 2011, 07:30 AM
|- - SmartyBeardo   QUOTE (Maxy @ Aug 22 2011, 05:30 AM) mexi...   Aug 22 2011, 07:38 AM
|- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 22 2011, 07:38 ...   Aug 22 2011, 04:18 PM
- - caneman   QUOTE (Maxy @ Aug 22 2011, 07:30 AM) mexi...   Aug 22 2011, 08:18 AM
- - Eighty88Eight   I'm relatively new here, I was drawn in by Ben...   Aug 22 2011, 12:40 PM
- - STEVENSKI   Looks like this thread is working as the trolls ap...   Aug 22 2011, 05:54 PM
- - BGv2.0   Just for the hell of it....I dusted off my old Box...   Aug 23 2011, 11:39 AM
- - Method   I'd be more concerned w guys like CEO, JD8 tak...   Aug 23 2011, 11:57 AM
|- - Romulus9   QUOTE (Method @ Aug 23 2011, 12:57 PM) I...   Aug 23 2011, 05:28 PM
||- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Aug 23 2011, 05:28 PM) ...   Aug 23 2011, 06:41 PM
||- - Snoop   QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 24 2011,...   Aug 25 2011, 07:00 AM
||- - lloyd mayflower   QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 25 2011, 01:00 PM) +3 ...   Aug 25 2011, 07:05 AM
||- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 26 2011, 12:00 AM) +3 ...   Aug 25 2011, 03:58 PM
|||- - Snoop   QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 25 2011,...   Aug 26 2011, 04:43 AM
||- - Eighty88Eight   QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 25 2011, 08:00 AM) +3 ...   Aug 25 2011, 11:07 PM
|- - King Eugene   QUOTE (Method @ Aug 23 2011, 12:57 PM) I...   Aug 23 2011, 06:06 PM
- - Snoop   LMAO @ all the talk about mexi. Baited? Bullied? W...   Aug 25 2011, 06:58 AM
- - jlupi   Hawkins, Sharkey, and TKO11 would not come back un...   Aug 26 2011, 09:25 AM
|- - Mean Mister Mustard   QUOTE (jlupi @ Aug 26 2011, 10:25 AM) Haw...   Aug 26 2011, 01:53 PM
|- - Method   QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 26 2011, 02...   Aug 26 2011, 01:59 PM
|- - jlupi   QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 26 2011, 02...   Aug 26 2011, 02:10 PM
- - Big Slim Sweet   QUOTE (Method @ Aug 23 2011, 11:57 AM) I...   Aug 26 2011, 09:52 AM
|- - Method   QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Aug 26 2011, 10:5...   Aug 26 2011, 12:41 PM
- - JLUVBABY   hawk seems cool... lol... i like his style.   Aug 26 2011, 07:49 PM
- - Mean Mister Mustard   Yeah, I was asking what he did over at CBZ, but Me...   Aug 27 2011, 08:09 AM
- - stateofthegame   I still come around at times reading things but to...   Aug 27 2011, 08:12 PM
- - AKay   Waddup State!   Aug 28 2011, 03:46 PM
|- - Jack 1000   QUOTE (AKay @ Aug 28 2011, 03:46 PM) Wadd...   Aug 28 2011, 06:33 PM
- - AussieLad   FFS Maybe its the several whiskeys i have ingeste...   Aug 30 2011, 02:49 AM
|- - STEVENSKI   QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 30 2011, 05:49 PM)...   Aug 30 2011, 04:14 AM
|- - The Ollie Reed Fan Club   QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 30 2011, 07:49 PM)...   Aug 30 2011, 07:18 AM
- - Method   ...anotha one bites the dust. I loved the avatar ...   Aug 30 2011, 09:33 AM
- - jlupi   I feel you aussie. I dispise the juvenile fanboy...   Aug 30 2011, 03:04 PM
2 Pages V   1 2 >

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 06:16 AM