IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where is the old guard?, What the fuck has happened?
Spyder
post Sep 6 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #141

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 6 2011, 04:39 PM) *
Nice post Slim, but I'm with Mustard on this one. I guess I've always been of the thinking, "If you don't like what's on the screen, change the channel." Don't get me wrong, the old days were fucking great; full of rivalries for the ages and knowledgeable, well-spoken posters. I wasn't as active during those days, so perhaps part of that has to do with my opinion as well. But what I'm trying to say is that we still have a pretty strong community here. Yeah we're losing some key posters, but we're also getting some decent ones too. I guess just don't let a few idiots ruin the board for us. It's really in our control.

In terms of the site being "Pro-Mayweather", I mean I can definitely see why people might think that way, but considering how Mayweather is with the media, it's pretty impossible for him to speak on the "hard questions." He'd more than likely just tell em to fuck off. From what I've seen, Hype just let's him speak, and barring some of the self-appraisal BS Mayweather does at times, I thought the whole "Evenings with Mayweather" series was excellent. I suppose something is better than nothing, no?

Why do you make people read between the lines?

Just come out and say it bro...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 6 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #142

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 7 2011, 08:39 AM) *
Nice post Slim, but I'm with Mustard on this one. I guess I've always been of the thinking, "If you don't like what's on the screen, change the channel." Don't get me wrong, the old days were fucking great; full of rivalries for the ages and knowledgeable, well-spoken posters. I wasn't as active during those days, so perhaps part of that has to do with my opinion as well. But what I'm trying to say is that we still have a pretty strong community here. Yeah we're losing some key posters, but we're also getting some decent ones too. I guess just don't let a few idiots ruin the board for us. It's really in our control.

Seriously Snoop who? Personally I would say Gravy and err....................that's it. The losses far far FAR outweight the gains in this case and to argue the opposite would be redundant. Just last week I think we lost Aussie Lad and although he didn't post a whole lot I really enjoyed it when he did. It's just sad man. LilLghtsOut doesn't post much, shoot even Beardo hasn't been around much lately (but that just may be Beardo, haha.) But these are bad losses whichever way you spin it.

Stuck down here in 'general' this almost feels like a TeamFightHype thread (I bet they'll never find us down here.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 7 2011, 02:24 AM
Post #143

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Sep 3 2011, 10:36 AM) *
I don't think it's elitist. Those of us who have been here for the past few years had a good thing going and it kinda sucked to have that taken away, or compromised or whatever. I don't think anyone here has anything against new members. If you think back a few years ago we had Marv, King, and Blaze all show up around the same time. These guys were all kinda new and eager and they got a little bit of shit for it initially, but they all stuck around and eventually became key members of the community (for as long as they did stick around at least). Same thing a couple of years ago when Ollie and Keith showed up.

The difference this time is that there were SO many new guys who all showed up at once - they suddenly outnumbered the regulars. And with the exception of one or two, they all pretty much seemed to have the same agenda, which was to flood the front page with thread after thread singing the praises of Floyd Mayweather. 'Floyd's the GOAT', 'Haters keep hating while Money keep cashin checks.' There were no legitimate discussions anymore it seemed, no real debates. It was just nuthug-nuthug-hate...nuthug-nuthug-hate...rinse-wash-repeat. I've never gone to other message boards but from the way people have described them, ours was starting to become a carbon copy. Now - this seemed to have died down - and the past few days it seems like the board has gotten closer to its previous level of quality. That's a good thing, but it would be a shame if we permanently lost some of the guys who really helped make this place what it was. Guys like JD and CEO. Now, CEO told me he would be back, though to what extent he wasn't sure.

Also, Snoop, I don't think you can really say with a straight face that Fighthype is not right now a Pro-Mayweather site. Yeah, sure, perhaps that's exacerbated by the fact that so many other sites hate him, but...come on man. This site is rolling with Floyd. With that said, I don't think you or FH are necessarily anti-Manny Pac. Funny how people feel like to be one you automatically have to be the other. I mean, that hideous disgrace of a rotting canoe you built last year notwithstanding, I've never found your work to have any personal bias to it whatsoever. I think fighthype is pretty down the middle with regards to Pacquiao, and reporting on his business dealings when, like Hype said, they might help explain his professional motives to some degree, IS newsworthy. And if Ben is cool with Floyd and wants to give him props on his site, that's his choice to do so. Mayweather seems like the kind of cat that doesn't want to hear anything negative about himself, so I get that in order to have the kind of access Hype had - which really was pretty incredible and I'm sure was a financial boom for the site - you can't really come down too hard on the guy for anything. And again, there are plenty of other sites that do that. It's not like if you want to read something bad about Floyd Mayweather you have to hunt high and low to do it. I really have no issues with the content of the front page at all.

But the message board was my bread and butter here, always has been and always will be so long as I'm around. And there is simply no doubt that the quality there took a major hit for a while. Hopefully that time passed and we're back to being the best and some of the old guys take a peek again and see that for themselves and decide to return. But Snoop, my man, go back and read some of the stuff in the archives from 2008-2010. CEO used to call some of those threads PPV quality, and he was exactly right.

Great post. I still read the forum daily, just don't feel like posting as much these days. You've always been one of my favorite posters here Slim! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/friends.gif)

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 7 2011, 12:32 AM) *
Seriously Snoop who? Personally I would say Gravy and err....................that's it. The losses far far FAR outweight the gains in this case and to argue the opposite would be redundant. Just last week I think we lost Aussie Lad and although he didn't post a whole lot I really enjoyed it when he did. It's just sad man. LilLghtsOut doesn't post much, shoot even Beardo hasn't been around much lately (but that just may be Beardo, haha.) But these are bad losses whichever way you spin it.

I agree with you. You are a great poster Ollie(wish I knew your actual name). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) You always make me laugh.

I know I do not post as much right now, but I will always be lurking here and maybe eventually I will feel like posting more?

This post has been edited by Lil-lightsout: Sep 7 2011, 02:25 AM

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Sep 8 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #144

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 87

This post has been edited by Snoop: Sep 8 2011, 08:14 PM

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Sep 8 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #145

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 87

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 7 2011, 05:32 AM) *

Stuck down here in 'general' this almost feels like a TeamFightHype thread (I bet they'll never find us down here.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Gravy, Finito, BlueMercury, Allmenjoi, Eighty88Eight are all good posters. I know I'm gonna get bashed for mentioning some of those names, but like I said in my post, they're all coherent and at the very least they're making things more interesting. Don't get me wrong, we've lost some GREAT posters, but we still have a good community here. I just don't see the point of making such a fuss about all the fanatics we've gotten recently. We only give them more credence if we acknowledge them.

This post has been edited by Snoop: Sep 8 2011, 08:16 PM

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Sep 9 2011, 02:55 AM
Post #146

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

There are just a few fools out there but Eighty88Eight makes me laugh & has decent boxing knowledge.

This post has been edited by STEVENSKI: Sep 9 2011, 06:09 AM

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Sep 9 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #147

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 9 2011, 07:55 AM) *
There are just a few fools out there but Eighty88Eight makes me laugh & has decent boxing knowledge.

The fuck did you edit your first post for? Someone give u a row?

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 9 2011, 07:56 PM
Post #148

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 9 2011, 05:07 PM) *
gravy didn't come with that shit batch, gravy is good though. Finito, this is the same guy from ivyleague boxing board? lol. BlueMercury is just a sophisticated and classy bot, he just posts youtube videos and nothing more right? That Allmenjoi? She is horrible.

Agreed, Snoop is really reaching with that list. I singled out Gravy because you're right he didn't come with this influx of scum. AllMAN is without doubt one of the worst posters I've come across. She is really really bad and I'm shocked that Snoop would list her, it makes me think he is pulling names out of his arse. But then he is now part of 'Floyd Hype' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Sep 9 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #149

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 10 2011, 01:58 AM) *
The fuck did you edit your first post for? Someone give u a row?

Nah I figued it was towards the ban worthy catagory.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Sep 9 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #150

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (jlupi @ Sep 3 2011, 09:13 AM) *
Im going to throw out one more criticism hype. and that is maybe you put up too many articles. for instance "pacman turns his back on pacland" and "ORTIZ SOUNDS CONFIDENT, BUT IS HE UNDERESTIMATING MAYWEATHER?" are nothing more than an average message board post of a fan ranting. Is that the quality that should be on the front page?

Obviously you read those articles, so you tell me.

Not for nothing, but pretty much ALL ARTICLES are simply rantings of a writer, which could probably be on a message board. I mean, where the hell do you think guys like Gabe Montoya, Coyote Duran, Cliff Rold, etc. got their start? They were all simply message board posters at one point. That's not to say that those articles compare to any of their articles...but hey...trust me...they're DEFINITELY getting read and I haven't been receiving any complaints about those writers.

If you don't want to read it...just don't click it.

You know, it's funny, but at one point, I was told that we have too many interviews and not enough articles. Now I'm being told we have too many articles.

For the record though, I prefer interviews.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 12:41 AM