Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ortiz's future after the fight
Allmenjoi8
post Aug 22 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,125

If Vicious Victor Ortiz wins the fight on September 17th it will be sports biggest upsets ever. He will no doubt be the top guy for a VERY long time. Victor will make his own rules and be a money fight for anyone who wants to fight him. He could pick to fight Khan or Pac, hell even another rematch with Marcos M. His future will be in his own hands. But if he loses then what? Will his stock go down or will Khan want to fight him or Pac? Will he get the big names fights? Everyone knows that if May loses that Pac fight is down the toilet and he can just retire because no one will care to see him fight. That 0 is keeping people interested. But Ortiz is young, how will he keep people interested in seeing him fight if he loses to May?
Depending on how he loses (if he does) will determine his future. If he gives May all he can handle then people will respect him, being beaten by May is nothing to cry about. I like Victor, he has a nice story and I like his cockiness. Its appealing and sales tickets. I am pulling for MJ but I have respect for Victor, I just hope the boxing world does too after Sep 17th. Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Aug 22 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #2

Middleweight

Member No.: 603

I thought facing Floyd was a pretty foolish move for a newly minted champ like Ortiz. Basically giving away the belt becuase he has almost zero chance of beating floyd. If he had cemented himself as champ (the old saying that your not a champ until you have defended the belt at least once) with a couple of defences, i wouldnt have had so much of an issue with this fight. But as it stands this smells like a cynical belt grab from floyds side

Maybe if he had a couple of defences he could have made some money. Maybe not as much in the short term, as pac and floyd are PPV monsters, but he probably would have made more money in the long run with less 'Mission Impossible' matches

I give Ortiz credit in going for the gold, but he's pushing shit up hill in this one. Hopefully lightning strikes and he manages to seperate floyd from his senses

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Aug 22 2011, 09:26 PM
Post #3

I fucked with the wrong monkey...

Group: Guests
Member No.: 12,696

It will not be the biggest upset in sports ever. It will not be the biggest upset in boxing ever. It will not be the biggest upset in boxing this year. It'll just be the loudest. Floyd's not unbeatable, he's been fought well before, he's a bit older now and he may theoretically be more vulnerable. I doubt we see Floyd standing in front of Ortiz in this fight, I think we'll see him ready to get on the back foot and box if he runs into a determined young foe early on. Ortiz needs to be fearless and relentless with the attitude that he wants to kill Mayweather in the ring. If he can fight with that attitude for 12 rounds, he can win. Mayweather isn't accustomed to punishment, and he'll quit if things get too rough.

Having said that, I don't think it'll happen. 5-1 seem like appropriate odds.

The bad scenario for Ortiz here would be a humiliating loss. Another scenario would be that he gets badly broken down over the course of the fight, and because he and Garcia are eager to show he is not a coward, he may fight too courageously for his own good. Nobody seriously see's him winning this fight, so if he just fights to expectations -- that he will provide Mayweather a good test run for the Pacquiao fight next year -- then he can hopefully get another good pay day, against Khan, a rematch with Berto, or whoever. This could very well turn out like Jones-Tarver I as well, which would basically mean a victory for Ortiz.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Aug 22 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,287

I think Victor will have a chance to go away and write poetry.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Aug 22 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Aug 23 2011, 11:42 AM) *
If Vicious Victor Ortiz wins the fight on September 17th it will be sports biggest upsets ever. He will no doubt be the top guy for a VERY long time. Victor will make his own rules and be a money fight for anyone who wants to fight him. He could pick to fight Khan or Pac, hell even another rematch with Marcos M. His future will be in his own hands. But if he loses then what? Will his stock go down or will Khan want to fight him or Pac? Will he get the big names fights? Everyone knows that if May loses that Pac fight is down the toilet and he can just retire because no one will care to see him fight. That 0 is keeping people interested. But Ortiz is young, how will he keep people interested in seeing him fight if he loses to May?
Depending on how he loses (if he does) will determine his future. If he gives May all he can handle then people will respect him, being beaten by May is nothing to cry about. I like Victor, he has a nice story and I like his cockiness. Its appealing and sales tickets. I am pulling for MJ but I have respect for Victor, I just hope the boxing world does too after Sep 17th. Any thoughts?

Haha, no it wouldn't. Not even close, haha. Ortiz is like a 6-1 underdog, there have been much bigger upsets than this.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 22 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

He can be the 3rd "man to beat" at Welterweight. He can still fight guys like Khan, Alvarez, Maidana (again), Berto (again), Tweety Bird Bradley, or maybe even Alexander since he's the #2 WBC contender at Welterweight (Im still laughing and looking forward to losing a couple of hours of sleep behind that one). So yes, he has done more than the rest to secure his top spot at Welterweight (under May & Pac), he just needs to do himself a solid by not losing too bad against Mayweather on the 17th.

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Aug 22 2011, 11:14 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 22 2011, 10:26 PM) *
...... Mayweather isn't accustomed to punishment, and he'll quit if things get too rough.

What planet are you on dude?.... What makes you remotely think an undefeated fighter who, when he gets in deep water, turns the fight around and breaks down his opponent like no other,.... would quit?

However, Floyed is not unbeatable for sure.

I think Ortiz' future would depend on HOW this fight plays out rather than the actuall outcome.

Here are a couple examples:
1.) Floyed beats him from round 1 to finish weather by decision or knockout = Ortiz losses belt, but not much stock. In fact, even with a loss to Floyed (as expected) he is going to raise notoriety.
2.) Floyed beats him by close decsion = this would be tremendous for Ortiz. If he could lose but look good doing it, it would still put him in postion for a championship fight or the Pac/ Floyed winner.... pending his performance till that point.
3.) Ortiz win by big KO punch at any point in the fight = Sure this would be bad for Floyed's pulling power at the negotiating table, BUT IT STILL WOULDNT DERAIL A PAC FIGHT! Remember Floyed has the draw and even though half of the people tune in just to see this type of ending for him, he would pull the ultimate comeback story and could still sell the Pac fight fairly easy. Ortiz may be known as the guy who knocked out Floyed Mayweather and caused his first loss but it would equal only too Buster and Tyson type of ending.
4.) Ortiz wins by clear decision = shock to the entire boxing community and would be the best way to create stock for himself. Though this would be far stretched to the imagination, it would ultimately be what he needs to accell his star status. Floyed, the boxer out-outboxed by the slugger Ortiz... huge for him and could easily make any fight he would want I think.

In any event of a win for Ortiz, we are looking at the fighter of the year hands down and an even brighter future for the young champion.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Aug 23 2011, 06:00 AM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

if he won. mayweather would rematch and woop his ass.lightening does not strike in the same place twice or something like that. also if he won i can think of a couple of reasons that he would win, mayweathers lay offs would be taken into account and the fact hes 37. just seems that anyone that beats him now it will seem like a tainted victory.

This post has been edited by mgrover: Aug 23 2011, 06:01 AM

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Aug 23 2011, 06:18 AM
Post #9

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 23 2011, 04:00 AM) *
if he won. mayweather would rematch and woop his ass.lightening does not strike in the same place twice or something like that. also if he won i can think of a couple of reasons that he would win, mayweathers lay offs would be taken into account and the fact hes 37. just seems that anyone that beats him now it will seem like a tainted victory.

Already rationalizing an FMJ loss? That's pretty pathetic.

My floydie gonna woop dat ass! But if he gets beat by anyone, it don't count for nothin' cause it be tainted. My Floydie gettin' real old and he haint fighted in sooo long that a loss don't even count no more. It be a tainted victory and my Floydie keep his 0 all the same, cause it aint fair.

STFU. FMJ's 34.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Aug 23 2011, 06:29 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 23 2011, 06:18 AM) *
Already rationalizing an FMJ loss? That's pretty pathetic.

My floydie gonna woop dat ass! But if he gets beat by anyone, it don't count for nothin' cause it be tainted. My Floydie gettin' real old and he haint fighted in sooo long that a loss don't even count no more. It be a tainted victory and my Floydie keep his 0 all the same, cause it aint fair.

STFU. FMJ's 34.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 01:01 PM