Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comparing careers 1, Judah-Spinks, DLH-Mosley, Cotto-Vargas, Hamed-Hatton
and the NEW
post Aug 29 2011, 02:27 AM
Post #21

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 333

Good thread also Fitz. These are all very close fighters to rank in the match-ups you made. A different way of looking at head to head matchups and legacy in general and very interesting.

Agreed, I think Cotto had the better career but I have to hand it to Vargas for his spirit of taking on the best. Very tough to split these guys.

This post has been edited by and the NEW: Aug 29 2011, 02:28 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Aug 29 2011, 04:53 AM
Post #22

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (and the NEW @ Aug 29 2011, 07:17 PM) *
Agree Cottos resume isn't anything like Vargas, but Quartey was not prime, not even close.

Just double checked coz I wasn't sure only 14 months after the De la Hoya fight. I'll take that as being close enough to his prime. Remember he was undefeated going into the Hoya fight.

But we could come down to splitting hairs on that one. It's so tough with him and Cotto, I just think to myself what would've happened to Cotto if he'd run into Trinidad at 147? I think he would've got murdered in 6 rounds.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Aug 29 2011, 05:09 AM
Post #23

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 29 2011, 07:53 PM) *
I just think to myself what would've happened to Cotto if he'd run into Trinidad at 147? I think he would've got murdered in 6 rounds.

I would enjoy that quite a bit.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Aug 29 2011, 05:11 AM
Post #24

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 29 2011, 10:09 PM) *
I would enjoy that quite a bit.

Cotto would've had that busted up goofy look he gets. It wouldn't have been pretty.

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Aug 29 2011, 08:16 AM
Post #25

I fucked with the wrong monkey...

Group: Guests
Member No.: 12,696

Cotto is the kinda guy Tito would have got knocked down by in round 2, then come back and ktfo in round 4. I'll never forget Tito's knock out of Yori Boy Campos. Possibly my favorite knock out of all time.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 29 2011, 09:15 AM
Post #26

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Man I watched Trinidad/Vargas the other night, and boy oh boy! Vargas was definitely a game fighter, being the fact that Trinidad's skill level was beyond his at the time. Tito was giving it to Vargas like mail on Sunday, but Vargas gave him everything he had. If Tito didn't hit Vargas with that low blow after he got dropped, then it would have been a wrap. I wasn't really a big fan of Trinidad though...dude used to get dirty wit it whenever he got hurt in the ring. You could always count on a low blow from him somewhere in the fight.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 29 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #27

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 29 2011, 05:53 AM) *
Just double checked coz I wasn't sure only 14 months after the De la Hoya fight. I'll take that as being close enough to his prime. Remember he was undefeated going into the Hoya fight.

But we could come down to splitting hairs on that one. It's so tough with him and Cotto, I just think to myself what would've happened to Cotto if he'd run into Trinidad at 147? I think he would've got murdered in 6 rounds.

Yeah Quartey was still in his prime, though he did suffer his first loss at the hands of De La Hoya. They were puttin' on eachother 'til that last round, which Oscar clearly won. Cotto and Trinidad would've been a great one! A short one, but a great one!

+Quote Post
Nay_Sayer
post Aug 29 2011, 12:26 PM
Post #28

Welterweight

Member No.: 2,078

Sorry people but there is no way in hell you can rate DLH over Mosley.

Mosley fought and BEAT the better opposition. Period, end of story.

+Quote Post
blackbelt2003
post Aug 29 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #29

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Aug 29 2011, 06:26 PM) *
Sorry people but there is no way in hell you can rate DLH over Mosley.

Mosley fought and BEAT the better opposition. Period, end of story.

It's close, and I think Mosley-DLH were 1-1 vs each other. I also think DLH beat Trinidad quite easily which is a big plus for him. DLH also beat prime Quartey and not-quite-prime-but-still-fucking-good Whitaker (although I've watched it a few times and keep scoring it differently), which for me trumps Mosley's wins.

If you go strictly on paper, Mosley's two wins over DLH should seal it...but with Mosley's and DLH's careers the W's and L's don't tell the whole story when you factor in all the controversial decisions.

Black

+Quote Post
Nay_Sayer
post Aug 29 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #30

Welterweight

Member No.: 2,078

QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Aug 29 2011, 12:48 PM) *
It's close, and I think Mosley-DLH were 1-1 vs each other. I also think DLH beat Trinidad quite easily which is a big plus for him. DLH also beat prime Quartey and not-quite-prime-but-still-fucking-good Whitaker (although I've watched it a few times and keep scoring it differently), which for me trumps Mosley's wins.

If you go strictly on paper, Mosley's two wins over DLH should seal it...but with Mosley's and DLH's careers the W's and L's don't tell the whole story when you factor in all the controversial decisions.

Black

Sorry but I don't buy that "the W's and L's don't tell the whole story" crap. However, since you went there; DLH, while in his physical prime, shamelessly RAN from Trinidad in the last third of their fight. Meanwhile, Shane would go on to face all of the fighters DLH ducked - like Forrest, Wright, and Margarito.

At the end of the day, DLHs best win is his KO over juiced up Felix Trinidad victim Fernando Vargas. That doesn't beat out Shane's best work...

This post has been edited by Nay_Sayer: Aug 29 2011, 03:52 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 12:46 PM