IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 24/7
TheFonz
post Sep 5 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #191

Team BU fun boy that gets passed around...

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,999

Roger is nothing but a mitt holder. Roger can't even go and work with another fighter without Floyd's permission. True story.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
caneman
post Sep 5 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #192

Amateur

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,310

QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Sep 5 2011, 06:27 PM) *
The only thing that was missing at the Baldomir fight were Floyds nuts lol....Larry Merchant gave it to Floyd after coming to the ring as a gladiator and running the whole fight.

Good post

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 5 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #193

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Sep 6 2011, 09:09 AM) *
Roger is a really good trainer. Perfect for Floyd anyway. I don't think he's as useless as people make him out to be, and I think his presence was missed at the Baldomir fight.

Shit they could've hired me to say "keep doing whatcha doing" for half the price.

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Sep 5 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #194

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,536

QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Sep 5 2011, 05:09 PM) *
Roger is a really good trainer. Perfect for Floyd anyway. I don't think he's as useless as people make him out to be, and I think his presence was missed at the Baldomir fight.

I agree with this post, in particular as you've qualified it that Roger is "perfect for Floyd." And an astute a commentator as Big George fully agrees with you... he said (Big George did) during one of Floyd's fights that an intrusive trainer can easily get in the way and actually end up hampering/hurting the performance of a naturally gifted athlete/boxer such as Floyd. To me, Roger and Floyd are maintaining a very good equilibrium in that regard. So let us let Roger with Floyd be. Roger is not training a Pacman.

P34c3

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Sep 5 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #195

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (TheFonz @ Sep 5 2011, 07:29 PM) *
Roger is nothing but a mitt holder. Roger can't even go and work with another fighter without Floyd's permission. True story.

And why would Roger need to go and train another fighter? He is doing a darn good job with Floyd and is happy doing so. So your point is...?

P34c3

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Sep 5 2011, 08:31 PM
Post #196

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Sep 5 2011, 07:27 PM) *
The only thing that was missing at the Baldomir fight were Floyds nuts lol....Larry Merchant gave it to Floyd after coming to the ring as a gladiator and running the whole fight.

The ring size with its extent is there for a reason... among other things, it enables you to fight/punch effectively - even get brutal KO's - off the back foot if you have the ability to do so, a la Pep, Sweet Pea, and Floyd Jr. If you want to see real world running in the ring, watch in particular the 10th round of Khan's fight with Maidana as Khan got on his bike and could not throw a punch as he was near getting KTFO.

And the last time I checked, Larry Merchant does not have much love for boxers, unless they were up and coming Floyd Jr. Larry however is in love with brawlers and one round KO artists (I think Prescott should qualify here, lol) so no surprise there. Larry is better commentating on MMA fights. Other than that, he can be full of crap, especially now that he's getting much older from being KO drunk and senility may be setting in as well... which situation incidentally is more likely to be the case in their advancing years with fighters who take unnecessary punishment or don't know how to avoid such.

Having said that about Larry, there's nothing wrong with belonging in his camp tho'. Those with brawler minds would always like them brawlers, and those with boxing minds would always prefer them boxers, A select, fortunate few, if you will, tend to be caught in between. It's all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

P34c3

+Quote Post
EAlbian
post Sep 5 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #197

Team BU''s Little Play Thing...LOL

Member No.: 7,451

QUOTE (Method @ Sep 5 2011, 01:50 PM) *
Man, you're buggin. It's a status quo training camp w Mayweather. This is like the 3rd camp we've seen Curtis Jackson. Nothing new there.

The routine on the mitts is a game of patty-cake, which is more Roger hitting Floyds glove than Floyd hitting Roger's mitts. Nothing new there.

Only thing missin in this camp are the segueway races throughout the first floor.

PS - FLOYD DON'T NEED ROGER FOR JACK SHIT.

He looks off bro, slow and lacking pop. Go back and watch some old footage, and not some bullshit media day. I understand about what purpose the mitts serve, the fact is if he cant go hard in training it gonna be difficult to go hard in a fight. Who else is gonna hold his mitts? Roger serves a purpose, he knows Floyd's routine to a tee. He makes things run efficiently and he can stand Floyd. Yea but 50 wasn't in the gym next to him at all times. Its like 50's the cool kid and Floyd's trying to impress him. This could all be editing but to me he seems distracted

+Quote Post
EAlbian
post Sep 5 2011, 08:41 PM
Post #198

Team BU''s Little Play Thing...LOL

Member No.: 7,451

QUOTE (duwdu @ Sep 5 2011, 07:31 PM) *
I agree with this post, in particular as you've qualified it that Roger is "perfect for Floyd." And an astute a commentator as Big George fully agrees with you... he said (Big George did) during one of Floyd's fights that an intrusive trainer can easily get in the way and actually end up hampering/hurting the performance of a naturally gifted athlete/boxer such as Floyd. To me, Roger and Floyd are maintaining a very good equilibrium in that regard. So let us let Roger with Floyd be. Roger is not training a Pacman.

P34c3

+1

When you're a borderline sociopath you need to surround yourself with people who believe in you

This post has been edited by EAlbian: Sep 5 2011, 08:43 PM

+Quote Post
caneman
post Sep 5 2011, 08:54 PM
Post #199

Amateur

Member No.: 1,310

QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 5 2011, 08:39 PM) *
He looks off bro, slow and lacking pop. Go back and watch some old footage, and not some bullshit media day. I understand about what purpose the mitts serve, the fact is if he cant go hard in training it gonna be difficult to go hard in a fight. Who else is gonna hold his mitts? Roger serves a purpose, he knows Floyd's routine to a tee. He makes things run efficiently and he can stand Floyd. Yea but 50 wasn't in the gym next to him at all times. Its like 50's the cool kid and Floyd's trying to impress him. This could all be editing but to me he seems distracted

He could very well be off some...not only is he older but he has 2 in 4 years. It doesn't matter who you are, and you add all the personal out of the ring issues and you never know what could happen! I think Floyd losing would be good for boxing and really good for these boards...too bad it won't matter!

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Sep 5 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #200

I fucked with the wrong monkey...

Group: Guests
Member No.: 12,696

QUOTE (duwdu @ Sep 5 2011, 08:31 PM) *

P34c3

i figured somebody would understand what I meant. Roger gives very generalized instructions that are oriented towards controlling a fight, compared with most other trainers, who often shout minutia at the boxers "THROW THE LEFT, STEP TO THE SIDE, COME BACK, THROW THE RIGHT, GET OUT THE WAY". There isn't a better side-by-side illustration of good and bad corner work than in the Mayweather-Judah fight. You had Yoel Judah shouting a bunch of shit that should have been internalized in training camp, while Roger constantly, and calmly, kept repeating the big picture: put pressure on his right hand side.

Mayweather's plan of action seemed uncoordinated in the Baldomir fight, which had him resort to playing it as safe as he could, and without using his jab at all. Floyd never looked more like Roy Jones than in that fight.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 08:45 PM