IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Will No Longer Acknowledge a '0', Have at it...
gravytrain
post Sep 2 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #51

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 2 2011, 02:34 PM) *
oscar's resume is filled with big names that were past their primes and out of their best weight classes. for the most part....like i said before he did a great job of beating the guys they put in front of him...but he was favored to beat those guys. meaning...they picked the opponents because they knew he had the advantages and tools to beat them. when he stepped up the comp...he usually lost. great career...but he never won the big one.

ppv buys are a great measure of popularity....and a good way for fighters and promoters to make money but they are not a true measure of a fighters greatness in the ring. the only thing that u can measure a fighters greatness in the ring with are "W's"

i said DLH was the last PPV fighter/cat carrying the torch/star of their era/biggest name in boxing to consistently take on some of the best opposition available and move up or down to take on that opposition. look at his record, he's all the biggest names of the eras he's fought in. DLH was the last one to do it, Mayweather and Pac haven't. i don't see what him not being the only fighter in history to catch every fighter in their prime and best weight class or handicappers setting odds have to do with that. and if Arum matched him so carefully why did he get in the ring with so many good fighters? Mosley and Trinidad were unbeaten and live opponents. if anyone challenges themselves they'll fail eventually, just like great teams in the NFL, NCAA, NBA and any other league lose when they challenge the best opposition out there. him losing to Hopkins and other solid opponents is better than fighting a lightweight at welterweight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
EAlbian
post Sep 2 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #52

Team BU''s Little Play Thing...LOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,451

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 2 2011, 05:05 PM) *
i said DLH was the last PPV fighter/cat carrying the torch/star of their era/biggest name in boxing to consistently take on some of the best opposition available and move up or down to take on that opposition. look at his record, he's all the biggest names of the eras he's fought in. DLH was the last one to do it, Mayweather and Pac haven't. i don't see what him not being the only fighter in history to catch every fighter in their prime and best weight class or handicappers setting odds have to do with that. and if Arum matched him so carefully why did he get in the ring with so many good fighters? Mosley and Trinidad were unbeaten and live opponents. if anyone challenges themselves they'll fail eventually, just like great teams in the NFL, NCAA, NBA and any other league lose when they challenge the best opposition out there. him losing to Hopkins and other solid opponents is better than fighting a lightweight at welterweight.

Don't forget he also fought Gernero Hernandez and Ike Quartey while they were still undefeated. He fought Jessie james Leija, Pernell Whittaker, Fernando Vargas and JCC(obviously not the same fighter he was) who had only lost once before. He also fought Oba Carr who was pretty tough. His record was padded in places but he fought a lot of very tough fights.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Sep 2 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #53

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (EAlbian @ Sep 2 2011, 06:25 PM) *
Don't forget he also fought Gernero Hernandez and Ike Quartey while they were still undefeated. He fought Jessie james Leija, Pernell Whittaker, Fernando Vargas and JCC(obviously not the same fighter he was) who had only lost once before. He also fought Oba Carr who was pretty tough. His record was padded in places but he fought a lot of very tough fights.

i just threw out a couple fighters. i don't even see how it's debatable whether or not he just had good matchmaking with Arum though lol.

+Quote Post
EAlbian
post Sep 2 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #54

Team BU''s Little Play Thing...LOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,451

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 2 2011, 05:56 PM) *
i just threw out a couple fighters. i don't even see how it's debatable whether or not he just had good matchmaking with Arum though lol.

In spots yes he had good match making but its not like he was in soft after age 25. A good thread would be who had the tougher road and better record; Trinidad or De La Hoya??

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Sep 2 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #55

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Sep 2 2011, 01:25 AM) *
Some fighters like Calzaghe and Bradley have based their whole career around the '0'. Their actual achievements are pretty slim on the ground compared to the reps they built on the back of those '0's.

Generally, the '0' will be seen through, but sometimes we carried away with a big, fat '0' and forget everything else. I'd much rather a nice '1' or '2' on the end of a record and plenty of substance hidden in the '40' or '50' at the start of it.

Black

Agreed. There is no shame in losing a fight if you have prepared & given your all. Look at how many fighters have added to their legacy in losing efforts. Quality fights & opponents make careers.

That is one thing I like about UFC where a guy like Randy Couture at 19-11 is a legend. He had a lot of great fights win or lose & his record is solid as all hell with no padding. I respect that more than a undefeated fighter as he took every challenge he could.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 04:29 PM