IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Floyd Mayweather Jr. a "coward"?, "Ducking" certain fighters out of fear?
Xception2ThRule
post Sep 9 2011, 02:20 PM
Post #1

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,773

I believe Floyd is supremely confident in his abilities. That is one of the reasons why I don't believe he is (or can be) a "coward" like some ignorant people may say he is. If you truly believe you are the best (keyword being "truly," some guys like a shot RJJ after Tarver still boasted he was a P4P fighter, but deep down he knew he was kidding himself and the public) and can beat anyone, you're not afraid to fight any opponent because you don't believe it's possible for you to lose. Just think about what I just said for a second...

If you believe Floyd truly believes he is the best and it's not just bravado, is it really possible for him to be scared and duck any opponent??? If Floyd believes he is the best and has proven it throughout his career (starting back in the 90s, and continuing to prove that today), it's practically impossible for him to be a coward. Believing you're truly the best and being a coward are basically mutually exclusive terms.

If you agree that Floyd practically ducked no one early in his career and was willing and basically did face everybody who was worth fighting, do you really believe all of a sudden this courageous and skilled fighter became a coward the more he fought??? OR, is it more likely that he proved he was and possibly is the best, became a star and a household name, and now has enough drawing power to pick who he fights???

Floyd may pick the most lucrative fights out there which may upset some boxing fans (the same way Pacquiao has done lately by keeping $$$ in-house with Top Rank, and having fought arguably less worthy opposition than Floyd recently), BUT THAT DOESN'T IMPLY FLOYD IS AFRAID TO FIGHT THE OPPONENTS HE SUPPOSEDLY "DUCKED" (the same applies to Pacquiao, or any star fighter for that matter). That would be called ASSUMING, and sadly, that's what most fight fans do.

I believe Floyd truly believes he is the best and thinks he can beat Pacquiao clean or dirty, but why risk it and let a man get away with possible cheating in what in all likelihood will be the most lucrative and biggest fight in boxing history? No matter how great you are, there is ALWAYS a chance you can get seriously hurt in boxing; one shot is all it takes to derail your career. Floyd knows this, and is willing 100% to fight Pacquiao once he submits to OSDT. Pacquiao hasn't willingly agreed to the testing until now.

Sorry, call me crazy, but I don't call that "ducking."

This post has been edited by Xception2ThRule: Sep 14 2011, 03:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
johnnyblaze
post Sep 9 2011, 02:25 PM
Post #2

I touched the little kid on my avatar...

Member No.: 13,118

You a mind reader, or a psychologist?

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Sep 9 2011, 02:39 PM
Post #3

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,369

Yes, he is.

+Quote Post
Method
post Sep 9 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,253

I would have liked to see Floyd fight a prime Margarito and a prime Cotto. I think he would have likely won, but I would have liked to see it. Especially in the case of Margarito. I just would have like to see it.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Sep 9 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #5

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

This is EXACTLY the sort of thread this site has been sorely lacking lately!

No question Floyd's a yellow-bellied coward.

+Quote Post
johnnyblaze
post Sep 9 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Method @ Sep 9 2011, 03:42 PM) *
I would have liked to see Floyd fight a prime Margarito and a prime Cotto. I think he would have likely won, but I would have liked to see it. Especially in the case of Margarito. I just would have like to see it.

Add to that Casamayor and Freitas at 130.

+Quote Post
Xception2ThRule
post Sep 9 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #7

Strawweight

Member No.: 12,773

QUOTE (Method @ Sep 9 2011, 03:42 PM) *

I agree 100%. I hold the exact same sentiment.

But it's no coincidence that Margarito and Cotto are a part of Bob Arum's stable of fighters, and who Floyd is accused of "ducking." Everyone brings up the $8 million figure with Margarito, but didn't Mayweather go on to fight the TRUE champ at his weight class, Carlos Baldomir, for at least the same amount of money, if not more? And wasn't Baldomir the one everyone was ASSUMING he "ducked" (by taking on Zab Judah first where Floyd practically had everything to lose, and nothing to gain besides the IBF belt) until he took him on and won an easy UD?

Not to mention, Cotto was green at the time, and both Cotto and Margarito even now are not very well known to a general boxing audience and have never drawn huge crowds like an Oscar, Hatton, Marquez or even Shane in the twilight of his career can.

This post has been edited by Xception2ThRule: Sep 9 2011, 03:17 PM

+Quote Post
johnnyblaze
post Sep 9 2011, 02:58 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Xception2ThRule @ Sep 9 2011, 03:57 PM) *

But it's no coincidence that Margarito and Cotto are a part of Bob Arum's stable of fighters, and who Floyd is accused of "ducking." Everyone brings up the $8 million figure with Margarito, but didn't Mayweather go on to fight the true champ at his weight class, Carlos Baldomir, for more money? And wasn't Baldomir the one everyone was ASSUMING he "ducked" (by taking on Zab Judah first where Floyd practically had everything to lose, and nothing to gain besides the IBF belt) until he took him on and won an easy UD?

Not to mention, Cotto was green at the time, and both Cotto and Margarito are not even very well known to a general boxing audience and have never drawn huge crowds like an Oscar, Hatton, Marquez or even Shane can.

Floyd made about $6MM for Baldomir.

+Quote Post
flazi
post Sep 9 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #9

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

no fighter is a coward. Any man willing to lace up gloves and risk his life in ring deserves the right to not be called a coward. I don't think fighters "duck" other fighters out of fear but out of money and its really the promoters who do the ducking. Pacman is not afraid of money and money isn't afraid of pacman. those 2 guys and everyone else would lace them up with a gorilla if the price was right lol.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Sep 9 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #10

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

QUOTE (Xception2ThRule @ Sep 9 2011, 02:57 PM) *

But it's no coincidence that Margarito and Cotto are a part of Bob Arum's stable of fighters, and who Floyd is accused of "ducking." Everyone brings up the $8 million figure with Margarito, but didn't Mayweather go on to fight the TRUE champ at his weight class, Carlos Baldomir, for more money? And wasn't Baldomir the one everyone was ASSUMING he "ducked" (by taking on Zab Judah first where Floyd practically had everything to lose, and nothing to gain besides the IBF belt) until he took him on and won an easy UD?

Not to mention, Cotto was green at the time, and both Cotto and Margarito are not even very well known to a general boxing audience and have never drawn huge crowds like an Oscar, Hatton, Marquez or even Shane can.

I believe Floyd made $8,000,001 for Baldomir. It was really was a dollar. And NO ONE thought Floyd was ducking Baldomir when he fought Zab instead. After Zab lost to Baldomir everyone was more like, 'well that sucks. No PBF-Zab. Who's Floyd gonna fight now? Margarito!" Come on - most folks thought Gatti was gonna beat Baldomir when they fought a few months later. And no one was ever trying to see PBF-Gatti 2.

As far as Bob Arum goes, I suppose that's the x-factor and we'll never really know how much not working with him again meant to Floyd. Maybe he really did refuse to do business with him again, though at the time I thought their split was supposed to be fairly amicable. Who knows though.

I thought Floyd ducked Mosley at one time, but then when he finally fought him he certainly didn't fight scared.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 08:00 AM