IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Most Unexpected Upsets, Upsets you would have never seen coming a mile away.
Unexpected Upsets
Vote
Tyson Vs. Douglas [ 8 ] ** [42.11%]
Mosley vs. Margarito [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Judah vs. Tsyzu [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Khan vs. Prescott [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Ali vs. Foreman [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Foreman vs. Moorer [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Rahman vs. Lewis [ 2 ] ** [10.53%]
Jones vs. Tarver II [ 6 ] ** [31.58%]
Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
King Eugene
post Sep 14 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #1

Proud American

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,577

A poll and discussion on some upsets you would have never ever expected to happen and still found it hard to believe when it did.

Jones Vs. Tarver II
Jones had an excuse for the first fight that he barely pulled out by the skin of his teeth. Some argue he took the second fight too soon but it didn't appear that way in the first round. Then comes the second round and BOOM!!! Its all over and we have the birth of the Sea Lion Bubble Gum Lip Antonio Tarver

Mosley vs. Margarito
I personally picked Shane to outbox Margarito and got laughed at for it. He not only outboxed him but completely knocked his block off. You can argue Margarito wasn't focused after the gloves incident and the draining of the extra two pounds but the majority of boxing experts and fans pretty much had it written in stone that Margarito was going to be the first to stop Shane. Well we all know that outcome.

Judah vs. Tsyzu
You Aussies probably wouldn't consider it an upset because you more than likely expected it but to the general public and most american boxing fans it was a complete shocker. The first round was all Judah and the second round Judah started the wave of all these young kids and their funky dance moves. I still believe had his ego and pride not jumped in the way and he took his 8 seconds getting up there might have been a different outcome *shrugs*

Khan vs. Prescott
The prideful olympian vs. a no name. What happen? Khan was smoked in the first round. Prescott has done everything in his might to try to get a rematch since Khans stardom but his previous loss doesn't help his cause.

Ali vs. Foreman
Nobody in their right mind gave Ali a shot in this fight. Hell he had to psych his self up just for the fight but man did he have the perfect gameplan. No one seen this coming especially with it being by KO. Foreman had every phsycial advantage over Ali including age. They one thing he lacked which eventually cost him the fight was the mental edge and wits to be Ali.

Foreman vs. Moorer
Ha! I still laugh at this. Moorer was suppose to box circles around Foreman and prevent this man from becoming the then oldest champion in history. They last thing to go in every fighter is his power and welp....Moorer learned that the hard way.

Rahman vs. Lewis
This right here folks is why you dont take no one in combat sports lightly. You think your about to go in there and make easy money and then boom that straight right hand lands flush over that left thats hanging by the side a long with you not stepping out far enough. Granite Lewis did get revenge in the rematch but it still doesn't take away from the fact he was dropped cold by a nobody. I'll never forget the "mama you dont have to work no more" rant by Rahman.

This post has been edited by King Eugene: Sep 14 2011, 10:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 14 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #2

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

I was senior in high school when Douglas KO'd Tyson. It was very evident Tyson barely trained for Buster and took him very lightly. Still to me long this is the biggest upset I ever saw, considering how Tyson was destroying everyone and was considered unbeatable.

Jones vs Tarver was pretty damn big too. Jones was highly motivated and was going to give Tarver a beating that night till Tarver landed one of the luckiest punches ever. I used to watch Jones in his prime and honestly thought he would never lose to a mortal. Haha.

Mosley-Margarito was one of the most excited I ever was watching a fight. It was definitely an upset, and I am still trying to figure out what happened to "that" Mosley that night. He actually threw punches in combinations and let his hands go and wasn't playing patty cake.

Judah and Tyszu was no upset in my eyes. Heck coming in I had Judah as an underdog.

Khan and Prescott was an upset, but not a huge one. Khan was still young and untested and proved nothing up to that point.

Ali-Foreman was huge. Ali was considered done and Foreman was a wrecking machine.

Moorer always had a weak chin and I am sure Foreman knew it. Moorer dominated but got caught with a lucky shot. Definitely a big upset.

After the first or second round of Lewis and Rahman, I told my wife Lewis is going to get KO'd. It was so obvious he did not train serious and he looked like shit. I guess he thought he was a movie star after being in Oceans 11. Rahman was tough and could crack, but it still was a nice upset.

I would rank them in this order starting from the biggest upset.

1-Tyson-Douglas
2-Ali-Foreman
3-Jones-Tarver
4-Foreman-Moorer
5-Mosley-Margarito
6-Khan-Prescott
7-Tyszu-Judah

James Toney-Michael Nunn was a huge upset worth mentioning. Nunn was P4P #1 fighter and Toney was an unknown with no real noteable wins coming in. Nunn dominated most of the fight, BUT Toney never gave up and continued to press forward and NEVER gave up till he finally hurt Nunn late and eventually stopped him.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Sep 14 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #3

Proud American

I actually thought about the Nunn vs. Toney fight but didn't know how big of an underdog Toney was. Thanks for bringing that one up LL.

I've watched the fight before and Toney pulled that one out of his ass.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 14 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #4

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 14 2011, 11:15 PM) *
I actually thought about the Nunn vs. Toney fight but didn't know how big of an underdog Toney was. Thanks for bringing that one up LL.

I've watched the fight before and Toney pulled that one out of his ass.

18-1 underdog!!!

I don't know, Toney never lost his cool and just kept pressing forward doing his thing(though he was getting outboxed). Me and a few of my friends watched and late in the fight we sensed he was getting closer and closer to getting to Nunn.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 14 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I have to give this one to RJJ/Tarver II. That one threw me for a loop. Some of the older upsets were back a bit far for me, though I did view them as huge upsets when I saw them.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 14 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

Tyson/Douglas and the rest are mere blips on the radar compared to that one. After watching that day there is nothing in sport or even in life that has ever surprised me again.

That's how well Mike had been marketed and to his credit that's how good he had been at living up to the hype and marketing. I simply didn't believe he could be beaten.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Sep 14 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #7

Proud American

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 15 2011, 12:12 AM) *
Tyson/Douglas and the rest are mere blips on the radar compared to that one. After watching that day there is nothing in sport or even in life that has ever surprised me again.

That's how well Mike had been marketed and to his credit that's how good he had been at living up to the hype and marketing. I simply didn't believe he could be beaten.

So you dont think you can every be surprised like that again in the sport of boxing?

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Sep 15 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #8

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

If Ortiz beat Mayweather it would be sport's biggest upset ever.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Sep 15 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #9

Proud American

QUOTE (Warlord @ Sep 15 2011, 01:04 AM) *
If Ortiz beat Mayweather it would be sport's biggest upset ever.

I dont think so. Folks dont look at him as unbeatable and some folks are actually picking Ortiz to win.

I think Tarver over Jones would be bigger than that.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 15 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 15 2011, 04:19 PM) *
So you dont think you can every be surprised like that again in the sport of boxing?

No I can't because every time I tune in, and take this weekend's fight as a good example, there is always a little piece of my brain that says 'Douglas-Tyson.'

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 06:03 AM