post Sep 22 2011, 08:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/169274-...f-his-us-assets

Gatti's widow considered a suspect, U.S. assets frozen
by Lem Satterfield
Sep 21st, 2011

No matter what happens in the Quebec Superior Court regarding the case of late boxer Arturo Gatti, his widow, Amanda Rodrigues, will not get any of his money, according to New Jersey-based attorney Anthony Pope, and Paul Ciolino, the lead investigator into Gatti's death.

Pope and Ciolino said Gatti's assets have been frozen as the result of a wrongful death lawsuit filed against Rodrigues on behalf of Erika Rivera, the mother of Gatti's daughter.

"There has been no serious discussions as Amanda [Rodrigues] wants the wrongful death case to disappear," said Ciolino. "But that's not going to happen. Erika Rivera is interested in justice -- not dollars."

"There is a lawsuit that was filed two weeks ago in Middlesex County for wrongful death, alleging Amanda Rodrigues's involvement in the murder of her husband, Arturo Gatti. Accompanying that lawsuit was a request from the court for emergent relief that does in fact freeze all assets that we're aware of, and the court, in fact, granted that relief," said Pope.

"What that does is that it basically says that we gave a good faith basis to show that this was a murder, and that Amanda Rodrigues was involved in the murder. Until the lawsuit is resolved, we don't want the assets to go anywhere and to anyone."

That means that Rodrigues must win her case in America in order to obtain the settlement funds.

"The assets have been frozen, the piggy bank shut down," said Ciolino. "Amanda's next battle is in New Jersey. She had better bring her hard hat, because there will not be any sympathy for her in the U.S."

Ciolino claims that the results of an 11-month investigation into Gatti's death not only rule out the initial verdict of suicide, but point to Rodrigues as a potential culprit in the murder of Gatti, who was found dead in July of 2009 while the couple was on vacation in Brazil.

"If, in fact, a jury were to conclude that Amanda Rodrigues was responsible, or complicit in the murder of Arturo Gatti," said Pope, "then she could not and she would not, under statute in New Jersey, be entitled to any of the assets."

Brazilian authorities initially said Rodrigues was a prime suspect in the case. She spent three weeks in a Brazilian jail before being released after an autopsy in that country concluded that Gatti had committed suicide.

That report said Gatti hanged himself with a handbag strap from a wooden staircase column in their apartment, but Ciolino and a panel of experts revealed earlier this month in North Bergan, N.J., that they are convinced Gatti was murdered, their findings the result of an 11-month private investigation.

"The Brazilians are talking about re-opening the murder case," said Ciolino. "So there still is a whole criminal action that is pending in Brazil no matter what happens with all of this civil stuff."

Ciolino believes that Rodrigues was involved.

"The family believes that Amanda was implicitly involved in the death of their son and brother. The law is everywhere that if you had something to do with somebody's murder, then you can't inherit any money from them," said Ciolino.

"The courts in the U.S. will actually want to see the evidence in this case, and there is an abundance of it. There are still people who want to see justice for Arturo. They are determined and it will happen. It won't happen soon, but it will happen."

Ciolino and Pope are responding in the wake of an ongoing civil trial in Montreal aimed at settling how Gatti's estimated $3.4 million estate will be divided.

Since Gatti's death, Rodrigues and Gatti family, led by his younger brother, Fabrizio Gatti, have been at odds.

But on Tuesday, the lawyers of Fabrizio Gatti and the 23-year-old Rodrigues were attempting to work out a deal, according to The Montreal Gazette.

Central to the civil case involving Gatti's estate is the validity of one will that was changed three weeks before his death and left everything to Rodrigues, and another from 2007 that leaves the fortune to his family.

Gatti's family believes that Rodrigues pressured the fighter into signing the second will, and asserts further that the will from 2007 leaves everything to his mother, his brother and Sofia, his daughter with Rivera.

Amanda's son, Arturo Jr., 3, was not born until after the first will.

Fabrizio wants the money to be split evenly between Gatti's two children, with nothing being left for Rodrigues.
As it stands now, Gatti's daughter is financially secure, but the son Rodrigues had with Gatti is not.

"Even if Amanda wins in Canada, she can't get a penny. So Amanda has got to appear in court in the United States and answer these charges, and that could take years," said Ciolino.

"She has to make a deal with Erika and the Gatti family, because she won't be able to get at any money right now -- no matter what happens in Canada."

This post has been edited by Method: Sep 22 2011, 08:50 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 22 2011, 08:53 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

Thank God some common sense is prevailing in this case. I don't say this often as I find it a bit hokey but:

R.I.P, A. Gatti.

+Quote Post
caneman
post Sep 25 2011, 09:38 AM
Post #3

Amateur

Member No.: 1,310

RIP THUNDER GATTI! http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7382189n

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Sep 25 2011, 09:48 AM
Post #4

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

Man I dont think I needed to see Arturo lying there in his boxers in amongst his own blood. That was pretty grim.

+Quote Post
CrazyBuffalO
post Sep 25 2011, 10:14 AM
Post #5

Junior Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,128

A lot have died from women.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 25 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 25 2011, 10:38 AM) *

Good post Cane!

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 25 2011, 10:48 AM) *
Man I dont think I needed to see Arturo lying there in his boxers in amongst his own blood. That was pretty grim.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif) Me neither. Im almost sick to my stomach watching his wife and her horrible acting, she appears to not have much emotions about the whole situation. I have only watched the first few minutes of it, but she is already getting under my skin.

QUOTE (CrazyBuffalO @ Sep 25 2011, 11:14 AM) *
A lot have died from women.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) You finally posted something that made sense.

This post has been edited by cshel86: Sep 25 2011, 12:24 PM

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Sep 25 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #7

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 25 2011, 05:23 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif) Me neither. Im almost sick to my stomach watching his wife and her horrible acting, she appears to not have much emotions about the whole situation. I have only watched the first few minutes of it, but she is already getting under my skin.

Her whole demeanour was pretty sickening. She needs some Floyd-style husbanding. Someone needs to slap that bitch

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 26 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 25 2011, 03:51 PM) *
Her whole demeanour was pretty sickening. She needs some Floyd-style husbanding. Someone needs to slap that bitch

Tell me about it Lloyd, smh. Looks like a chick that's itching to get her split of the assets and move on to some bum who could give two shits about lifting a finger and making anything of himsef. Maybe she does need Money Team treatment!

On another note...Im watching Gatti/Ward I...Im hoping these dudes had all intentions of saving their fight purses, because they were beating each other to oblivion. Whew!

+Quote Post
Imperius3
post Sep 29 2011, 06:25 AM
Post #9

Welterweight

Member No.: 931

There are a few things to bear in mind here. I'm not trying to brew a storm, but I think this needs to be said. Let me preface my post by saying that I loved Arturo as a boxer, and I had great respect for him in the ring. I will never forget him and his epic battles throughout his career.

First off, this is the conclusion reached by a private investigation firm headed by Paul Ciolino, who is basically paid to reach the conclusions his clients want (he is also attempting to overturn the Amanda Knox case in Italy). It does not reflect the findings of official or state investigators and forensic experts.

The second issue is about Gatti's wife, who some seem to think is Satan incarnate. It is not unusual, in fact it's quite common, for a wife to be the sole beneficiary of her husband's estate. The evidence against her is extremely frail, and so far nothing has been presented which points to a murder. Moreover, many people are intent on characterizing Gatti's wife as a gold-digger, but it is being overlooked why Gatti's biological family is contesting his estate so persistently. This is not just about truth, folks, it's about gaining control of a multi-million dollar estate. Hiring Ciolino to discredit Gatti's wife is a convenient way to claim a stake of his fortune without coming across as greedy. I'm not saying this is the only motive, but we can't get inside the heads of these people either.

I personally wouldn't place too much trust in the findings of Ciolino because he is a self-serving businessman, nothing more. It would be nice to think that a ring legend like Gatti didn't commit suicide, but it's stupid to jump to conclusions without any hard evidence, especially when the evidence points to a suicide.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Sep 29 2011, 01:23 PM
Post #10

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Sep 29 2011, 11:25 AM) *
There are a few things to bear in mind here. I'm not trying to brew a storm, but I think this needs to be said. Let me preface my post by saying that I loved Arturo as a boxer, and I had great respect for him in the ring. I will never forget him and his epic battles throughout his career.

First off, this is the conclusion reached by a private investigation firm headed by Paul Ciolino, who is basically paid to reach the conclusions his clients want (he is also attempting to overturn the Amanda Knox case in Italy). It does not reflect the findings of official or state investigators and forensic experts.

The second issue is about Gatti's wife, who some seem to think is Satan incarnate. It is not unusual, in fact it's quite common, for a wife to be the sole beneficiary of her husband's estate. The evidence against her is extremely frail, and so far nothing has been presented which points to a murder. Moreover, many people are intent on characterizing Gatti's wife as a gold-digger, but it is being overlooked why Gatti's biological family is contesting his estate so persistently. This is not just about truth, folks, it's about gaining control of a multi-million dollar estate. Hiring Ciolino to discredit Gatti's wife is a convenient way to claim a stake of his fortune without coming across as greedy. I'm not saying this is the only motive, but we can't get inside the heads of these people either.

I personally wouldn't place too much trust in the findings of Ciolino because he is a self-serving businessman, nothing more. It would be nice to think that a ring legend like Gatti didn't commit suicide, but it's stupid to jump to conclusions without any hard evidence, especially when the evidence points to a suicide.

Thought the same thing about the conclusions of the private investigation. They were swayed way too far onto one-side to call them anywhere near objective. What was funny during the CBS show (Thanks Cane), was when Ciolino firmly proclaimed, "Arturo Gatti was NOT sucidial. NOBODY would say that. NOBODY." and then right after that his old amateur trainer goes, "Yeah he wanted to kill himself".

Overall, the details are fishy on both sides. I basically discount the "evidence" found by the PIs, but I remember watching Real Sports and hearing the explanations of the Brazilian authorities being extremely weak and unconvincing. The wife's blantant lie about never being a stripper also raises some eyebrows.

Shame that Gatti had to go out that way.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 09:02 AM