> Real boxing fans vs Pactards and Flomos
Jack 1000
post Sep 22 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #11

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 22 2011, 05:36 PM) *
Jack and Black are absolutely right! I like both fighters, but they are both good for bullshitting from time to time. There are some people who are absolutely obsessed no matter what, and it's sickening.

Hey, I have an idea Jack...whenever a new user registers, they should be subjected to a mandatory 1-week "Pacquiao/Mayweather" thread, before they even get to view the real board. That way, we can find out if they are Flomos or Pactards before they permeate into the real board with their disease. All vets should be allowed access to that trial thread, so they can blaze 'em all up and run 'em away from the site...or at least make them reconsider their argument before entering the board! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I came up with this Saturday night when I checked my Facebook and noticed how many people were WAAAY behind on the whole issue, and some of them were ready to go tooth-to-nail to prove their point (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

LOL!!!

A while back, Ben and I were toying around the idea of having something like a 20 post count minimum before you could make new topics. I was thinking this would help reduce spam, reduce nonsense posts, and help new members get a feel for the board and what the community is like. I can't remember if it was something that Ben couldn't get to work in testing, or just forgot about doing it.

I have seen some other communities doing this with good results. Many forum communities, not just boxing, and it seems to help. New posters on these systems could only reply to threads until they had something like 15-20 reasonable quality posts. (In other words, just building up your post replays with spam or nonsense posts didn't count.) I think it would encourage more positive community interaction. Even though I think the boards are doing very well now!

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HazConvictedFelo...
post Sep 22 2011, 09:02 PM
Post #12

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,413

I love boxing period. My uncle is a judge, my cousin Mack Babb was a pro heavyweight contender, his son is about to go pro, and I was raised around boxing. I watched Tyson-Douglas with my grandmother (who is a super boxing fan). We had a heavy bag chained to the steampipe in the basement and I learned the basic principles of boxing at a very young age. I was taught about the benefit of turning my hands over, taught to stay on the balls of my feet, and the importance of a fast jab. Boxing's in my blood. Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are not the end-all be-all of the sport. I'm actually pretty excited about Nonito Donaire coming to the Theatre at MSG, and God willing, I'll be there in the 100 section with a 200 dollar ticket. I can't say I WILL be there because things happen over the course of 24 hours.

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Sep 22 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #13

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,369

QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Sep 23 2011, 02:02 AM) *
I love boxing period. My uncle is a judge, my cousin Mack Babb was a pro heavyweight contender, his son is about to go pro, and I was raised around boxing. I watched Tyson-Douglas with my grandmother (who is a super boxing fan). We had a heavy bag chained to the steampipe in the basement and I learned the basic principles of boxing at a very young age. I was taught about the benefit of turning my hands over, taught to stay on the balls of my feet, and the importance of a fast jab. Boxing's in my blood. Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are not the end-all be-all of the sport. I'm actually pretty excited about Nonito Donaire coming to the Theatre at MSG, and God willing, I'll be there in the 100 section with a 200 dollar ticket. I can't say I WILL be there because things happen over the course of 24 hours.

You made that mistake before eh

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 22 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 23 2011, 02:09 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 22 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #15

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 22 2011, 09:14 PM) *
LOL!!!

A while back, Ben and I were toying around the idea of having something like a 20 post count minimum before you could make new topics. I was thinking this would help reduce spam, reduce nonsense posts, and help new members get a feel for the board and what the community is like. I can't remember if it was something that Ben couldn't get to work in testing, or just forgot about doing it.

I have seen some other communities doing this with good results. Many forum communities, not just boxing, and it seems to help. New posters on these systems could only reply to threads until they had something like 15-20 reasonable quality posts. (In other words, just building up your post replays with spam or nonsense posts didn't count.) I think it would encourage more positive community interaction. Even though I think the boards are doing very well now!

Jack

Lol, hope you all can get that in the works real soon. There should be at least a 150 quality post count before creating threads...nothin' like a Flomo or Pactard thread by somebody with 5 posts, lol. It's almost like they walk in the lion's den with meat pants on, smh.

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 22 2011, 10:09 PM) *

Hahahaha!!!

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Sep 23 2011, 12:40 AM
Post #16

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

I honestly think Pactards and Flomos or Mosley's or Hopkinsers' should all be banned from this site. I've been reading things on this site for a very long time now and I decided to finally get a account. Most of your personal boxer fans are part of the reason why the sport of boxing has gone into a WWE-like entertainment industry.

Nowadays more people focus on one boxer which in turns compromises their knowledge of the sport of boxing. It also limits intelligent and open minded but also non-bias debates in which people from all walks of life can distributed their ideas and knowledge based opinions. Most Pactards I've encountered are crazy about Pacman, up to the point where they'll insult people if a person disagrees with their opinion of Pac or make a statement on challenging Pacman's opposition as of late.

Same thing with Flomo's who claim Mayweather is the greatest thing since slice bread which is not true. I don't think there is a such thing as the greatets fighter or boxer. Every boxer or fighter who are genuinely great have different and unique skills or assets which makes them great in their own right, but the rest is debatable. Mayweather's brittle hands and per fight income is largely due to why he doesn't fight more than once a year like he did in his early 20's. I do believe if he fought more it would put more spotlight on the sport since he is the public enemy in the sport of boxing.

I think fans of any personal boxers should refrain from an argument as it will only be bias and unfiltered. I always enjoy chatting with other intelligent boxing fans whether you prefer brawlers or technicians.

+Quote Post
HazConvictedFelo...
post Sep 23 2011, 07:19 AM
Post #17

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,413

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 22 2011, 10:09 PM) *

You talking that sucka shit but if I'd have been there, guess what? You wouldn't have. Besides that, if you were there, you wouldn't have said shit to me, much less want to shoot the 5 puto.

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Sep 23 2011, 07:29 AM
Post #18

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Sep 23 2011, 12:19 PM) *
You talking that sucka shit but if I'd have been there, guess what? You wouldn't have. Besides that, if you were there, you wouldn't have said shit to me, much less want to shoot the 5 puto.

But Haz, you weren't there. Thats what I cant understand. You are enough of a fool to type on an internet forum of all places, that you will bare knuckle box anyone from this site, then you don't turn up. And now you're talking about what WOULD have went down if you had been there????

Hold on a minute......... I see whats going on here.

Floyd........that you?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 23 2011, 09:22 AM
Post #19

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Be careful Lloyd, I heard those internet warriors dont play...

+Quote Post
CrazyBuffalO
post Sep 23 2011, 11:37 AM
Post #20

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,128

As I pointed out before in another thread, there shouldn’t be prejudice like “Oh you are less of a boxing fan than I am because you follow only one fighter, while I follow the ENTIRE boxing universe” or stuffs like that.

Once you start getting into stuffs like “Oh I’m more of this than you” and “Oh you are less of this than me” then you know it’s unhealthy. You are setting barriers. You are setting standards of your own.

It’s like the same thing with racial discrimination where racist would go “Oh you are less of a human being than I am because you’re this and that.” And “I am more of a human being than you are coz of this and that”. Which is why racial discrimination is becoming more and more unpopular in today’s society. I’m not saying that it used to be popular, but it used to be much more tolerated in society. But nowadays people don’t want it anymore (especially people today are becoming more and more educated).

You have to understand that some things in this world are “engineered” while others are “reverse-engineered.” There are always two sides to a coin. There are boxing fans that got to know Floyd and Manny through following boxing first, while there are those that started following Floyd or Manny first which later led to them watching boxing.
I’ll give you an example of the latter. Here in the Philippines, before there were big names like Pacquiao, Villoria, or Donaire people didn’t really care much about boxing. But when Pacquiao and the likes became famous, people here were like “Oh there’s this Filipino boxing star lets go watch him fight!” so everyone got interested. And this led to them watching boxing very often. And some became so enthusiastic that they even started going to the boxing gyms to train in hope of becoming like their Filipino idols. So you know there are cases like these. And in a way it’s good because it got more people aware of boxing. Those that don’t used to follow the sport are now following it all because of their love for their favorite fighter/s.

As I’ve said, some are engineered, others reverse-engineered. But whether you’re engineered or reverse-engineered, you always end up talking about the same thing -- which is either about boxing or your favorite boxing star.
And everyone is a boxing fan in his own right. So stop all the “Oh I’m MORE of a boxing fan than you and you are LESS of a boxing fan than I am because of this that whatever… blah blah blah”. That type of mentality isn’t open, healthy. I therefore stand forth and raise the question: under who’s authority is the claim that someone is less of a boxing fan simply because he’s just a Floyd or Manny fan??

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 10:37 AM