Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Boxing Size Up Series, Sugar Ray Robinson
BoxingEinstein
post Sep 23 2011, 03:37 PM
Post #1

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243

Hello, boxing fans and welcome to the first start of my Boxing Size Up series. Today, I will like to leave a short,sweet but thrilling topic of discussion on what many claim the man as the "Greatest boxer ever". I'm sure there have been posts about this man and in fact I'm sure it has been a bit exhausted on this topic. But I would like to contribute my knowledge as everyone has an opinion.

The Briefing:
Sugar Ray Robinson was a amazing athlete of a man during his time where boxers were getting paid peanuts. He was also a businessman who liked to show boat or flaunt his prize earnings in different methods. The man was deemed by many during that time the hardest working boxer. The man would do 6 mins of shadow boxing
10mins of speedbag work, 12mins of double-end bag work, another 6mins of shadow boxing, 10mins of heavybag work, 15mins of skipping rope, work on abs for 13mins , his usual med ball hits, and finish up with roadwork in the mornings plus tap dancing in the evenings. Truly sensational and outstanding rigorous training regimen if you ask me or compared to nowadays fighters regimen.

Robinson had the complete package of a fighter, he can box from the outside, maul you in the inside, had a granite chin, KO power in both hands, mental giant, knew how to cut the ring off, and his ring generalship was underrated in my opinion.

A guy who was naturally a welterweight would go off to knockout many Middleweights with combinations or just 1 punch. Out of 200 fights he was never legitimately KO'd. His only legit contender was Jake Lamotta who is significantly less skilled but extraordinarily tough as crocodile skin. Lamotta would be the first to hand Robinson his first loss after 40 fights before their fight. They both would be destined to fight 6 times in mostly all close but brutal bouts. Lamotta would mostly come at fight night over 10 pounds heavier than Robinson in each of their fights, once again proving Robinson's fearless and iron willed legacy. Robinson would end his career with a 10 round decision lost to Joey Archer, Robinson who was way out of his prime would later be celebrated at the Madison Square Graden as a final farewell for all of the great, classic and legendary bouts he brought to viewers.

Size Up: I think Robinson with out any doubt is one of greatest welterweights ever. I see him beating the likes of all in their prime.

Henry Armstrong, Sugar Ray Leonard, Barbados Joe Walcott, Thomas Hearns, Emile Griffith, Pernell Whitaker, Roberto Duran, Manny Pacquiao, and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

But I think his hardest opponent out of all besides Lamotta would be Mayweather since Mayweathers defence would be greatly used and I see a more defensive Mayweather than usual because of Robinsons' power and boxing ability. Robinson won't outbox Mayweather but he can maul which will be difficult to do. I see this fight ending with a 13th round KO for Robinson or a SD win for Robinson.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:30 AM