IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gear-Grinding Comments/Questions You've Ever Heard From a Casual Boxing Fan or a "Know-It All"..., Have at it...
Method
post Sep 30 2011, 03:59 AM
Post #21

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

Outside of the boxing forums, I rarely have the time/patience to discuss/listen to anyone regarding the sport of boxing. They just dont know what we know - Im not specifically talking about the nuances of the art, specifically - but also the back room dealings, the promotional beefs, issues going on, etc. etc.

Yes, I do understand those (not all of them, mind you) that actually run sites or write or cover the sport, have contacts or inside info even superior to those of us that scour the headlines and message boards every day, but that's not the common sports fan, which most in life are.

Cshel - I would have kicked that dude out of my house.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 30 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #22

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 30 2011, 03:14 AM) *
I remember I used to always have a BBQ on a Sunday afternoon when the fights were on & during Lewis vs Tyson I had about 20 people over. Most knew jack shit about boxing & those that did believed Tyson was gonna win. I cracked the shits & told everyone to fuck off punched a few hot ones & went to my bedroom & watched the fight. After every round I went outside & asked in a really condescending manner how is Mike doing?

Hahahaha! Thats how you do it. Im sure it was a quiet living room, because that fight a jaw-dropper to the unqualified obeserver. I remember how quiet my living room was for the Cotto Margarito fight. I won more than a few dollars that night, because everybody thought Cotto was gonna take the cake. Classic Stevenski and the condescending approach! Lol

QUOTE (Spyder @ Sep 30 2011, 04:06 AM) *
My pet peeve migrated to UFC events, but it used to be present at every boxing show. The tough guys watching two trained fighters on TV, and claiming that they could kick the shit out of both of them. Sure buddy.

Tell me about it! Everybody suddenly gets macho and become gurus of the sport when they watch the fights. Lord willing, there are no women in the same room...thats when dudes get super stupid!

QUOTE (Method @ Sep 30 2011, 04:59 AM) *
Outside of the boxing forums, I rarely have the time/patience to discuss/listen to anyone regarding the sport of boxing. They just dont know what we know - Im not specifically talking about the nuances of the art, specifically - but also the back room dealings, the promotional beefs, issues going on, etc. etc.

Yes, I do understand those (not all of them, mind you) that actually run sites or write or cover the sport, have contacts or inside info even superior to those of us that scour the headlines and message boards every day, but that's not the common sports fan, which most in life are.

Cshel - I would have kicked that dude out of my house.

I feel like we are in a totally different universe than everybody else when it comes to discussing the sport. You're right, its a waste of brain cells trying to discuss boxing outside of the forum. I wanted to kick him out, but I do get a kick out of people making an ass of themselves, so I stuck it out.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 30 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #23

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

The one statement from casual fans /no-boxing-watching ass people is..."Man, they need to just go 'head and make that Mayweather and Pacquiao fight happen. They just need to go ahead and fight and get it over with, man".

This one does it for me EVERY TIME! We (as fighthypers) already know whats going on with everything, but to even attempt to try and explain it to somebody who knows nothing about it, is quite a daunting task. If I happen to be cool with the person who's asking about the fight, I simply grab two beers, tell them to have a seat, and I began the story.

Me: Well, back in 2009...
(and the story continues)

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Sep 30 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #24

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 76

My wife's co workers invited us to fight party a few years ago. (Hopkins and Wright) On the invite they mentioned they would be playing board games and card games at the party. (strike one) There was also mention of a pool. (strike two) And at the bottom of the invite it said "Come watch Winky Wright knock Bernard Hopkins out". (strike 3)

I'm thinking to myself, Lady Winky Wright couldn't knock you out.

I am very picky with whom I watch boxing. I don't do the sports bars because of what many of you have mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't do the fight parties at someone's home. (Same reason stated above). And I don't have a lot of people at the house when I'm watching it. Fights cost too much for someone to bump their gums throughout the card.

The way I see it you have one of two choices when you come to the house to watch a fight. Either you shut the heck up....... or go the heck home!

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 30 2011, 02:49 PM
Post #25

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (alaganza @ Sep 30 2011, 03:41 PM) *
My wife's co workers invited us to fight party a few years ago. (Hopkins and Wright) On the invite they mentioned they would be playing board games and card games at the party. (strike one) There was also mention of a pool. (strike two) And at the bottom of the invite it said "Come watch Winky Wright knock Bernard Hopkins out". (strike 3)

I am very picky with whom I watch boxing. I don't do the sports bars because of what many of you have mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't do the fight parties at someone's home. (Same reason stated above). And I don't have a lot of people at the house when I'm watching it. Fights cost too much for someone to bump their gums throughout the card.

The way I see it you have one of two choices when you come to the house to watch a fight. Either you shut the heck up....... or go the heck home!

Man you are preaching to the choir! I always make sure I know who's coming to my spot for a fight party, though 1 or 2 unexpected people slide through. Like you said, it costs too much to sit and listen to somebody bump their gums the whole time, especially if they dont know what they're talking about. I cant do the parties at other people's house...either there's not enough food or the beers/drinks are warm and limited. I definitely haven't been to a bar to watch a fight since '08 (Jones/Trinidad). We were damn near shoulder-to-shoulder in there, and this one guy got excited and jumped up after a knockdown happened...sad thing is, he bumped another guy's arm while he was drinking a beer and it ended up chipping his tooth (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) That was enough for me...

+Quote Post
Method
post Sep 30 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,253

QUOTE (cshel86 @ Sep 30 2011, 02:59 PM) *
If I happen to be cool with the person who's asking about the fight, I simply grab two beers, tell them to have a seat, and I began the story.

Me: Well, back in 2009...
(and the story continues)

AAAAAAaahhhhhahahaahahahahaha. Man, as funny as that is, I dont even have the patience to do that. YOu'd go through a whole case of beer chronicling the whole shit show, and I wager at some point, half way through, you look at your buddy, squint and say, "wait, what was the point I was just trying to make?".

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 30 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #27

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Method @ Sep 30 2011, 04:17 PM) *
AAAAAAaahhhhhahahaahahahahaha. Man, as funny as that is, I dont even have the patience to do that. YOu'd go through a whole case of beer chronicling the whole shit show, and I wager at some point, half way through, you look at your buddy, squint and say, "wait, what was the point I was just trying to make?".

Sometimes I like to entertain bullshit...it all depends on who it is OR how much of an ass they are making of themselves. It also depends on how much I've had to drink, lol. Yeah sometimes, the thought of going over the whole negotiations nonsense can be a bit of a hassle...and you're right, I tend to get lost in the story.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Sep 30 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #28

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

QUOTE (alaganza @ Sep 30 2011, 03:41 PM) *
And at the bottom of the invite it said "Come watch Winky Wright knock Bernard Hopkins out". (strike 3)

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnn that was too damn funny! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I hate when you have that one guy in the room that knows somebody that knows somebody who boxes and they talk through the whole fight explaining everything wrong to the casual viewers in the room. I just sit back and shake my head listening to the bullshit. No point in saying anything to him because then he'd be interupting the fight even more.

Another thing that grinds my gears is when somebody's only arguement as to who won the fight is who threw the most punches.

The ooooooo's and aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh's every time a big punch is thrown and not even landed. I'm like STFU...he didn't even hit him!

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Sep 30 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #29

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

when they claim rocky balboa is there boxing idol....

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Sep 30 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #30

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 76

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 30 2011, 07:41 PM) *
Mannnnnnnnnnnnnn that was too damn funny! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I hate when you have that one guy in the room that knows somebody that knows somebody who boxes and they talk through the whole fight explaining everything wrong to the casual viewers in the room. I just sit back and shake my head listening to the bullsh*t. No point in saying anything to him because then he'd be interupting the fight even more.

Another thing that grinds my gears is when somebody's only arguement as to who won the fight is who threw the most punches.

The ooooooo's and aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh's every time a big punch is thrown and not even landed. I'm like STFU...he didn't even hit him!

THANK YOU!!!! Now you want to talk about grinding gears. I hate that when a guy throws a bunch of punches, nothing lands, and people are acting like the fight should be stopped or something.

And you know what else that grinds my gears? I hate the fact that people don't understand the difference between a guy winning a fight and a whopping his opponent's behind.

Example: A friend of mine called me from Korea and we were talking about the Hagler-Leonard fight. (dating myself) And he was going on and on about how Leonard whipped Hagler pretty bad. Really? He now goes on my football only conversation list.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 02:55 AM