IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Lampley & Merchant shouldn't commentate some fights, ... Conflict of interests...
duwdu
post Nov 28 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #1

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,536

I think I noticed there've been at least a thread on someone like Larry Merchant before, but I've not seen such a thread among recent entries. Besides, the point/evidence here is new...

In this subject video released about 12 hours ago, Elie Seckback is campaigning that both Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant should not be commentating on fights involving Freddie Roach. Elie's reasons are basically that both Jim and Larry, in their own separate ways, are involved in activities that are clearly in conflict with their abilities to be fair on their jobs at HBO.

Now, whereas I was previously aware of the case with Jim (he alluded to it during a recent commentating job on HBO,) the case against Larry is news to me, as it appears to be also with Elie.

In my view, Elie himself had previously not shown much spine or lack of bias in his video interviews either. A case in point is that he could hardly ask Bob Arum any tough questions whenever he had a chance to interview with Bob, and there have been some.

Now, what does this portend? To me, it could be any or both of the following:

1. Some of those, especially in the media who've been traditionally supportive of - or at least been giving benefits of the doubt to - the Lampley-Merchant-Roach ecosystem, have been having second thoughts lately, and the number is growing. This may just affect the way boxing writers vote going forward, I think.

2. One can always give these commentators benefits of the doubt and put their wrongs in the realm of over-zealousness or advancing age; however things may actually be quite muddy in terms of their professional backgrounds and affiliations, and all they represent, especially in their commentaries, are mostly half-truths.

But, hey, what do I know?

And what do you folks think?

P34c3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Nov 28 2011, 09:15 AM
Post #2

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

I think that I'm shocked to know there is a bias in boxing (sarcasm). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/not_i.gif)

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Nov 28 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #3

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 28 2011, 09:15 AM) *
I think that I'm shocked to know there is a bias in boxing (sarcasm). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/not_i.gif)

Bwahahaha... I take your point. Still, this type of brazenness would need to be called out, so more of the casual fans will be helped to properly discern what is propagated by these "commentators," however fluent such commentators may be.

P34c3

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 28 2011, 10:56 AM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Im surprised that Stickback actually untucked his tail from between his legs and stepped up with something worthy of listening to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) sometimes I forget that these commentators are avergae Joes with jobs and lives outside of the boxing world.

Just as much as fighters are trying to latch onto big name fighters and make fights happen (for the sake of money and popularity for future bouts), Im sure that the announcers are doing the same thing with these trainers/managers/etc to secure their future monetary ventures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Nov 28 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

I prefer Merchant, Lampley, and Stewart over those bland announcers over at Showtime. I can't imagine a fight on HBO without 1 of the three. Roy jones will be a nice fill in though.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Nov 28 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (duwdu @ Nov 28 2011, 08:39 AM) *
I think I noticed there've been at least a thread on someone like Larry Merchant before, but I've not seen such a thread among recent entries. Besides, the point/evidence here is new...

In this subject video released about 12 hours ago, Elie Seckback is campaigning that both Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant should not be commentating on fights involving Freddie Roach. Elie's reasons are basically that both Jim and Larry, in their own separate ways, are involved in activities that are clearly in conflict with their abilities to be fair on their jobs at HBO.

Now, whereas I was previously aware of the case with Jim (he alluded to it during a recent commentating job on HBO,) the case against Larry is news to me, as it appears to be also with Elie.

In my view, Elie himself had previously not shown much spine or lack of bias in his video interviews either. A case in point is that he could hardly ask Bob Arum any tough questions whenever he had a chance to interview with Bob, and there have been some.

Now, what does this portend? To me, it could be any or both of the following:

1. Some of those, especially in the media who've been traditionally supportive of - or at least been giving benefits of the doubt to - the Lampley-Merchant-Roach ecosystem, have been having second thoughts lately, and the number is growing. This may just affect the way boxing writers vote going forward, I think.

2. One can always give these commentators benefits of the doubt and put their wrongs in the realm of over-zealousness or advancing age; however things may actually be quite muddy in terms of their professional backgrounds and affiliations, and all they represent, especially in their commentaries, are mostly half-truths.

But, hey, what do I know?

And what do you folks think?

P34c3

Very interesting post and yeah I agree, there really should be a recognition by HBO that there's a conflict of interest, but I doubt anything will be done. Nonetheless nice piece and you also get propers for using the tech buzzword "eco-system" in an article about boxing, I hate buzzwords, but this time I didn't throw my laptop in disgust as I usually do when I read a buzzword.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 28 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 28 2011, 11:19 AM) *
I hate buzzwords, but this time I didn't throw my laptop in disgust as I usually do when I read a buzzword.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Dammit Cheesey! I tried my best to ignore that ecosystem shit when I read past it! For some reason, I just had this weird feeling when I read it...kinda threw me off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Yall are crazy man...

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Nov 28 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

Favorite part of the video was the intro and outro music!!!! Good job.
Merchant hated Floyd long before his daughter married Mr. Dick. They do not like Floyd plain and simple. The people who should be doing the commentating are the followig: Roy "I talk way too fast" Jones, Gorge Foreman, Teddy Atlas, Max Kellerman, Lennox Lewis, Sugar Ray Lenord, and James Toney.

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Nov 28 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #9

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 28 2011, 10:56 AM) *
Im surprised that Stickback actually untucked his tail from between his legs and stepped up with something worthy of listening to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) sometimes I forget that these commentators are avergae Joes with jobs and lives outside of the boxing world.

Just as much as fighters are trying to latch onto big name fighters and make fights happen (for the sake of money and popularity for future bouts), Im sure that the announcers are doing the same thing with these trainers/managers/etc to secure their future monetary ventures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

Quite an interesting perspective you've got there CShel; good luck to them tho'.

P34c3

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Nov 28 2011, 03:40 PM
Post #10

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 28 2011, 11:19 AM) *
Very interesting post and yeah I agree, there really should be a recognition by HBO that there's a conflict of interest, but I doubt anything will be done. Nonetheless nice piece and you also get propers for using the tech buzzword "eco-system" in an article about boxing, I hate buzzwords, but this time I didn't throw my laptop in disgust as I usually do when I read a buzzword.

Thanks Cheesey.

Hey, be careful now... you might just be needing that laptop to watch the "Fight of the Century" should you find yourself unavoidably on the road when the opening bell happens! Ha.

P34c3

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 02:08 AM