Allmenjoi8
post Dec 13 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #11

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Dec 13 2011, 08:35 AM) *
Here's a break for ya:

He was KTFO (not lose on points or robbed by the ref, but QUEER street) by two guys he had ZERO business being KTFO by: Rahman (btw, google a name first...no name should be butchered that bad) and McCall. Moreover, many (myself included) believe he was gifted a win over Ray Mercer.

I like Lennox and KNOW he was an outstanding HW, but people (read: Americans) didn't like him for the some of the reasons I mentioned earlier. Here's a question for YOU: Exactly WHO did he "destroy"? His most important win, IMO, was the 2nd Holyfield fight and his most impressive may have been stopping Razor Ruddock (a guy who gave Tyson fits).

So you are saying that because he did not leave fighters in a coma that makes him a bad heavyweight? I love the way Lennox fought. Knockout are your thing not mine. He boxed and I loved the way he fought. Lennox took for guaranteed McCall and Rahman (thanks for the tip in spelling names (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ok.gif) ) which is why he came back against Hasim and did what he should of done in the first place. Second I disagree with the Mercer fight, I do.

As far as big punchers are concerned it is far too overrated. Pacquiao knock people out but now he has been exposed for the hype job that he is. If you can knock someone out but can't box for crap what is the purpose? To entertain blood lust fans. I will take the boxer any day. Lennox was a great champion and I know that people under value him for all the wrong reasons.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Dec 13 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #12

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

Lewis was like 6'5", 250lbs for the latter portion of his career and he had a huge right hand capable of knocking out almost anyone. Problem was in my view he fought like he was 6'5" and about 210 pounds and with a weak right hand. More or less I agree with what others said above... the guy had every physical advantage on his side basically: height, reach, weight, punching power, jab, etc yet he fought way too conservatively. That's why Americans didn't really embrace him and why they have not embraced the Klitschko brothers. 9 times out of 10 I'll root for the 6'1" 220 pound heavyweight against any of those guys when I know they have everything going against them physically going into the fight. The expectation is that a guy like Lewis with such gross physical advantages will blow out his opponents in spectacular fashion... but that's not the way he worked. It's fine that he fought that way; a win is a win - but that's why I was never a huge fan of the guy and probably why lots of others in the US share my perspective.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Dec 13 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #13

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

I'm am a HUGE fan of the sweet science. That's why I box myself but if your 6'5" 250 pounds and satisfied with going the distance with guys you have every physical advantage of them I'm sorry, I just cant appreciate what you do. Your a fucking heavyweight...not a damn welterweight. You suppose to be knocking fools senseless. Name one Heavyweight of the golden era that was beloved because he was great at putting on 15 round boxing exhibitions? Ali was a GREAT boxer but he was still taking fools out! I'm sorry but as a HEAVYWEIGHT your suppose to be cold cocking fools!!!

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Dec 13 2011, 08:08 PM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 13 2011, 12:57 PM) *
So you are saying that because he did not leave fighters in a coma that makes him a bad heavyweight? I love the way Lennox fought. Knockout are your thing not mine. He boxed and I loved the way he fought. Lennox took for guaranteed McCall and Rahman (thanks for the tip in spelling names (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ok.gif) ) which is why he came back against Hasim and did what he should of done in the first place. Second I disagree with the Mercer fight, I do.

As far as big punchers are concerned it is far too overrated. Pacquiao knock people out but now he has been exposed for the hype job that he is. If you can knock someone out but can't box for crap what is the purpose? To entertain blood lust fans. I will take the boxer any day. Lennox was a great champion and I know that people under value him for all the wrong reasons.

Agreed. Your first post about Lennox was too much of a love letter for me to in any way be associated with, but this one I completely agree with.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Dec 13 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #15

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 13 2011, 01:57 PM) *

Before I respond, where did I say Lennox was a bad HW? **jeopardy theme music playing** Moreover, when/where did I type he had to knock fools out? **more jeopardy theme music**

I even went so far as to say, "I like Lennox..." All I pointed out, was why people may not view him as great. Moreover, if we're gonna downgrade Tyson from "great" due to a not so great HW era, then why does Lennox get a pass? Was he not of the same era? Again, his most heralded win was.....?????

You disagree w/ me about the Mercer fight? That's your opinion...however, youtube that fight again. Lennox lost that fight, my friend.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Dec 13 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

Lennox Lewis had 42 pro fights, with 32 KOs, 2 losses and 1 draw. I took a look at who is included in that list of KOs and TKOs and for me, he beat up some pretty, tough, dangerous heavyweights of the time, when they were at the top of their games. For example, Michael Grant (at the time he was very, very highly regarded), Shannon Briggs, as someone else said-Razor Ruddock, my main man Frank "it isn't cricket" Bruno, Andrew Golota, Tyrell Biggs, Tommy "the great white hope" Morrison. As far as Tyson, supposedly when they were amateurs they fought and Lennox beat the snot out of Tyson, but since they were amateurs that's just an interesting story, nothing more than that.
The circumstances under which he first lost to Rahman and subsequent demolishing of Baltimore's finest should show that Rahman was never on Lewis' level.
Lewis should never be compared to a Klitschko, just look at his level of opposition as compared to theirs. He fought David Tua at his prime and at his prime, David Tua was a bad S.O.B. Lewis beat the lord of the 'roids, Evander Holyfield twice, when Holyfield was at his prime.
Lewis is definitely a hall of fame heavyweight and one of the all time great HWs. I didn't say the best, but definitely up there. IMO he was better than Holyfield. Haha, yeah fuck it, I said it, he was better than Holyfield.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Dec 13 2011, 08:37 PM

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Dec 13 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #17

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Dec 13 2011, 08:00 PM) *
I'm am a HUGE fan of the sweet science. That's why I box myself but if your 6'5" 250 pounds and satisfied with going the distance with guys you have every physical advantage of them I'm sorry, I just cant appreciate what you do. Your a fucking heavyweight...not a damn welterweight. You suppose to be knocking fools senseless. Name one Heavyweight of the golden era that was beloved because he was great at putting on 15 round boxing exhibitions? Ali was a GREAT boxer but he was still taking fools out! I'm sorry but as a HEAVYWEIGHT your suppose to be cold cocking fools!!!

Not to be an asshole but you answered your own question there. Ali's bread and butter was 15 round boxing exhibitions. His most notable knockouts are Liston and Foreman...but other than that Ali is THEE pivotal "golden era" (your words not mine) boxer who scored (questionable)decision win after decision win. Ali knocked out, I might be a few digits off, around 10 opponents. And a large majority of them were crummy and substantially smaller than ali. the rest are technical knock outs.

your opinion is your opinion. but i do think it is a popular misconception that the bigger you are the more knockouts you should be able get. I see some of the reasoning behind it...but the bigger you are the more energy it requires to knock a head off, and the longer your legs the more difficult it is to balance and coordinate your body movements

thats why in the future, vitali is gonna get his fuckin due cause his KO percentage is through the roof

This post has been edited by wolterb: Dec 13 2011, 08:48 PM

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Dec 13 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #18

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Dec 13 2011, 09:34 PM) *
Lennox Lewis had 42 pro fights, with 32 KOs, 2 losses and 1 draw. I took a look at who is included in that list of KOs and TKOs and for me, he beat up some pretty, tough, dangerous heavyweights of the time, when they were at the top of their games. For example, Michael Grant (at the time he was very, very highly regarded), Shannon Briggs, as someone else said-Razor Ruddock, my main man Frank "it isn't cricket" Bruno, Andrew Golota, Tyrell Biggs, Tommy "the great white hope" Morrison. As far as Tyson, supposedly when they were amateurs they fought and Lennox beat the snot out of Tyson, but since they were amateurs that's just an interesting story, nothing more than that.
The circumstances under which he first lost to Rahman and subsequent demolishing of Baltimore's finest should show that Rahman was never on Lewis' level.
Lewis should never be compared to a Klitschko, just look at his level of opposition as compared to theirs. He fought David Tua at his prime and at his prime, David Tua was a bad S.O.B. Lewis beat the lord of the 'roids, Evander Holyfield twice, when Holyfield was at his prime.
Lewis is definitely a hall of fame heavyweight and one of the all time great HWs. I didn't say the best, but definitely up there. IMO he was better than Holyfield. Haha, yeah fuck it, I said it, he was better than Holyfield.

Cheesey....first and foremost, you know the drill: It ain't easy......

Now, back to the task at hand. Again, Holyfield & Razor Ruddock were the most accomplished victories (along w/ Vitali) on his resume, IMO. I agree, he beat some tough fighters, but how many of the aforementioned would you call "great....or REALLY good"? This is NOT to say LL isn't a HOF'r, b/c he IS, but I dont' want to exaggerate or downgrade one's skill.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 13 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #19

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Dec 13 2011, 08:46 PM) *
Cheesey....first and foremost, you know the drill: It ain't easy......

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Dec 13 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #20

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Dec 13 2011, 08:18 PM) *
Before I respond, where did I say Lennox was a bad HW? **jeopardy theme music playing** Moreover, when/where did I type he had to knock fools out? **more jeopardy theme music**

I even went so far as to say, "I like Lennox..." All I pointed out, was why people may not view him as great. Moreover, if we're gonna downgrade Tyson from "great" due to a not so great HW era, then why does Lennox get a pass? Was he not of the same era? Again, his most heralded win was.....?????

You disagree w/ me about the Mercer fight? That's your opinion...however, youtube that fight again. Lennox lost that fight, my friend.

You implied that with his physical gifts he should of destroyed people, Now Nasty Nas how else am I suppose to take that? You inference that he wasn't a good heavyweight because he did not kill his opponents. You said he had a boring style of fighting and what his physical gifts he should of being laying dudes outs.
Mercer did not beat Lennox. Lennox was a little off but he did enough to win the fight. While at work I will watch the fight tomorrow and further comment on it. When he beat Klitschko. He open up that dude's eye and mustered up enough to finish the fight. Then he retired. I believe if Lennox had a had a Tyson type of attitude people would be praising him. I realize that being a gentleman in boxing is no no. Shane Mosley is a nice guy but he knocked people out at the same time the nice guy thing makes him look like a punk especially when he is basically hugging and kissing touching gloves in every damn round (Pacquiao and tried to do it with Mayweather).

Lennox is a great champion. He did it differentl but like Frank ol blue eyes Sinatra he did it his way and that is what I dig!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 05:54 AM