> Lennox Lewis forgotten?
Cheesey1
post Dec 13 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #21

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Dec 13 2011, 08:46 PM) *
Cheesey....first and foremost, you know the drill: It ain't easy......

Now, back to the task at hand. Again, Holyfield & Razor Ruddock were the most accomplished victories (along w/ Vitali) on his resume, IMO. I agree, he beat some tough fighters, but how many of the aforementioned would you call "great....or REALLY good"? This is NOT to say LL isn't a HOF'r, b/c he IS, but I dont' want to exaggerate or downgrade one's skill.

I think that I'll start posting with my full name i.e. Greazy Cheesey... the ironic thing is that cheese and I don't really agree with each other, but when I first heard that word "cheese" and over the years saw the power it holds, how could I not end up legally changing my name to Cheesey1...Greazy Cheesey 1.

In the 90s and early '00s, those guys were undoubtedly some of the best that the HW division had to offer. Since Lennox Lewis, no one in the HW division has fought and beaten the level of opponents that he did. Yeah the Klitschkos can box and do some damage, but they just haven't fought the level of opposition that he did. Speaking of them, Vitali is going to fight Dereck Chisora. WTF? I'm glad that Chisora's showing people that Zimbabwe isn't all fucked up and can produce an internationally known heavyweight, but he's still an average heavyweight, who sometimes crosses the line into tomato can territory. I would love to see a prime David Tua fight Vitali, or Wlad and see what happens. Or Razor Ruddock, damn even an in his prime Michael Grant.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Dec 13 2011, 10:27 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ks1
post Dec 14 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #22

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 12,051

Lennox Lewis - Blah! He was Larry Holmes lite.

The reason why fans didn't gravitate toward him had nothing to do with his Jafakin English accent or his supposedly "gentlemanly ways". It's because dude was an incredibly arrogant prick. Now boxing has, and had, plenty of such folks but Lewis was the type of guy who acted like he was doing boxing a favor by boxing or as he put it "bringing class to the sport". He acted like if he wasn't boxing he would be out discovering the cure for cancer or advancing string theory physics so, we all should have been happy that he deigned to box and been grateful for for his presence,

Blah I say! GTFO with Lennox Lewis.

This post has been edited by ks1: Dec 14 2011, 11:17 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 14 2011, 11:04 AM
Post #23

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (ks1 @ Dec 14 2011, 10:53 AM) *
Lennox Lewis - Blah! He was Larry Holmes lite.

The reason why fans didn't gravitate toward him had nothing to do with his Jafakin English accent or his supposedly "gentlemany ways". It's because dude was an incredibly arrogant prick. Now boxing has, and had, plently of such folks but Lewis was the type of guy who acted like he was doing boxing a favor by boxing or as he put it "bringning class to the sport". He acted like if he wasn't boxing he would be out discovering the cure for cancer or advancing string theory physics so, we all should have been happy that he deigned to box and been grateful for for his presence,

Blah I say! GTFO with Lennox Lewis.

+1

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Dec 14 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #24

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 13 2011, 10:27 PM) *
You implied that with his physical gifts he should of destroyed people, Now Nasty Nas how else am I suppose to take that? You inference that he wasn't a good heavyweight because he did not kill his opponents. You said he had a boring style of fighting and what his physical gifts he should of being laying dudes outs.
Mercer did not beat Lennox. Lennox was a little off but he did enough to win the fight. While at work I will watch the fight tomorrow and further comment on it. When he beat Klitschko. He open up that dude's eye and mustered up enough to finish the fight. Then he retired. I believe if Lennox had a had a Tyson type of attitude people would be praising him. I realize that being a gentleman in boxing is no no. Shane Mosley is a nice guy but he knocked people out at the same time the nice guy thing makes him look like a punk especially when he is basically hugging and kissing touching gloves in every damn round (Pacquiao and tried to do it with Mayweather).

Lennox is a great champion. He did it differentl but like Frank ol blue eyes Sinatra he did it his way and that is what I dig!

Quick question: What are you talking about? I challenge you to find WHERE I implied, much less said any of those things. You've essentially combined 2 or 3 posters' responses and addressed them to my thread. LOL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wtf.gif)

Here's what I find funny, you initially used the word "destroy", but now are saying I'm somehow unfairly assessing Lennox (though I've done nothing of the sort), b/c I've implied (which I never did) he isn't "laying dudes out". <-----that would be comical if it weren't so blatantly hypocritical. All I asked was, "exactly who did he destroy?"**Side Note** Francois Botha was a complete destruction** Here's another question, "what does the word 'destroy' mean where you're from? Apparently, I'm using it wrong. Moreover, I never called him boring nor did I even remotely imply it. Help me out; how did you come to these conclusions?

Btw, I love how you praised Lennox for winning on "cuts", but was essentially behind on EVERY card up until the stoppage.

This post has been edited by bnoles4life: Dec 14 2011, 01:49 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 14 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #25

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Anybody tired yet???

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Dec 14 2011, 02:19 PM
Post #26

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 14 2011, 02:05 PM) *

Nope, but that's because I just hired Angel Hernandez aka Angel Heredia as my new conditioning coach....(the old me would've said Alex Ariza, but no more as I now respect Ariza - let bygones be bygones).

Most of the criticisms of Lennox seem to be about his personality. The numbers don't lie and the level of opposition doesn't lie. Lennox "the Lion" Lewis. Yes mi bredda, or yes guv' (depends on where he is at the time).

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Dec 14 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #27

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Dec 12 2011, 07:15 PM) *
Clearly, you've never heard of, much less seen, any fights of Larry Holmes, huh?

As far as his fan fare is concerned, Lennox had the audacity to:

1. Possess a British accent--for the most part, Americans hate British accents (unless it's a hot broad), mainly b/c it sounds arrogant

2. Beat the brakes off Tyson

3. Not be terribly exciting...remember, he was in the Tyson era....people wanted HWs to destroy opponents, NOT be good boxers

4. Be confident in his abilities...see reason #1.

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 12 2011, 08:18 PM) *
Sorry, never seen Larry Holmes fight I was probably wasn't even born when he was fighting. I am talking about of Lennox's era. i am not ranking him all time. And if you are judging him off of his accent then that is stupid. He was a gentleman plus he beat Tyson which I won so many bets on. Lennox did destroy his opponents. He lost to Hasmin Rammand ( I know I spelled that wrong) but then came back and took his belts by KO! And he represented his Jamaican heritage. Give me a break!

Larry Holmes ended Ali's career that I do know, I think they spared together.

Lennox by outboxing his opponents destroyed them. He put on a damn clinic is the ring. You stated that people ( I do not know if you inculde yourself in that category, I am guessing that you are) wanted to see knockouts. I said I like to see the the art of the sport, knockouts are great but to see someone break down an opponent that is a beautiful thing. That is what I meant by destroyed. Not big knock outs, again that is your thing. And being confident has nothing to do with an accent. Amir Khan was over confident and he went home titleless. And how was Lennox not exciting? Your argument blows me away. I am actually a little surprised. To each its own. And he beat Mercer

This post has been edited by Allmenjoi8: Dec 14 2011, 06:54 PM

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Dec 14 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #28

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

QUOTE (wolterb @ Dec 13 2011, 08:46 PM) *
Not to be an asshole but you answered your own question there. Ali's bread and butter was 15 round boxing exhibitions. His most notable knockouts are Liston and Foreman...but other than that Ali is THEE pivotal "golden era" (your words not mine) boxer who scored (questionable)decision win after decision win. Ali knocked out, I might be a few digits off, around 10 opponents. And a large majority of them were crummy and substantially smaller than ali. the rest are technical knock outs.

your opinion is your opinion. but i do think it is a popular misconception that the bigger you are the more knockouts you should be able get. I see some of the reasoning behind it...but the bigger you are the more energy it requires to knock a head off, and the longer your legs the more difficult it is to balance and coordinate your body movements

thats why in the future, vitali is gonna get his fuckin due cause his KO percentage is through the roof

Buddy I think your missing my point. Unlike LL, Ali actually attempted to take his opponents out instead of playing it safe. Did he do it at a high percentage? No! Did he atleast use his advantages? Yes! Lewis was comfortable going an easy 12.

I understand the science of bigger men and the expectations so the break down wasn't necessary.

As far as Vitali getting is due...it's all BS. On paper it looks good but if you actually watched him fight you know he isn't a big KO puncher. He stops most of his opponents with an accumulation of punches. Of course they don't seperate it with TKO and KO percentage, they just put it all together so folks who never seen him fought will think he was a monster. Far Far from it but he is damn good.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Dec 14 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #29

Welterweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 14 2011, 03:05 PM) *

NOW, I totally see what you mean. SMDH

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Dec 14 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #30

Welterweight

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 14 2011, 06:05 PM) *
Lennox by outboxing his opponents destroyed them. He put on a damn clinic is the ring. You stated that people ( I do not know if you inculde yourself in tha category, I am guessing that you are) wanted to see knockouts. I said I like to see the the art of the sports, knockouts are great but to see someone break a down an opponent that is a beautiful thing. That is what I meant by destroyed. Not big knock outs, again that is your thing. And being confident has nothing to do with an accent. Amir Khan was over confident and he went home titleless. And how was Lennox not exciting? Your argument blows me away. I am actually a little surprised. To each its own. And he beat Mercer

I see, I need to actually highlight "sarcasm" for you. SMDH

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 04:42 AM