IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sergio Martinez vs Matthew Macklin March 17th MSG, What's your thoughts?
Macklin vs Martinez
Who takes it?
Macklin by decision (close) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Macklin by decision (wide) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Macklin by KO/TKO [ 1 ] ** [20.00%]
Martinez by decision (close) [ 4 ] ** [80.00%]
Martinez by decision (wide) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Martinez by KO/TKO [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Draw [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
DQ (Indicate loser in response) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 5
Guests cannot vote 
BoxingEinstein
post Dec 20 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #1

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243

I personally think this is a step down for Team Martinez but yet it is understandable...no one wants to fight him outside of Pirog who hasn't done anything as far as opposition and earning his name in the states. Martinez can't fight Chavez, Cotto, and Alvarez who are all champs in the division as their promoters look to protect their star fighters as they are deemed not ready. I always thought Martinez should move up in weight to super middleweight but he's an unusually small middleweight who's inbetween super middleweight and jr middleweight itself. Martinez needs to take a name opponent like Abraham or maybe down the line Kirkland if he wants to boost his name. The man's abilities deserve more recognition as he is considered a top P4P champion in today's era. With many promoters swindling the alphabet belts to their own fighters boxing is looking more and more like business acumen instead of glorified efforts.

Martinez TKO 11th.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefloatingmonke...
post Dec 20 2011, 09:45 PM
Post #2

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 4,046

Martinez should see if he could get a fight with Sturm. Think that would at least be better than fighting Macklin and would be one step closer to unifying the belts.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 20 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Im not all that familiar with Macklin, but if I remember correctly, was he the guy that pissed and moaned about getting robbed in the Sturm fight? Or did he get robbed? I agree, Martinez better competition, but there's not too much he can do about it. He may get a Sturm fight after this, but who knows?

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 20 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

martinez shouldnt fight sturm, if he does in germany, and he doesnt KO him he's lost that fight.

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Dec 20 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #5

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

QUOTE (thefloatingmonkey @ Dec 20 2011, 09:45 PM) *
Martinez should see if he could get a fight with Sturm. Think that would at least be better than fighting Macklin and would be one step closer to unifying the belts.

It won't happen, Sturm is ageing and is now looking to fight sub par opponents after that Macklin fight. Sturm isn't the same fighter he use to be, he's been holding on that belt before the Macklin fight for a long time fighting weak opposition but still get paid so you think he won't keep doing that? Only way Dibella can get that fight is offer money and go to the sanctioning bodies for a unification purse bid to make that fight but thats a long process waiting to happen. The middleweight champs are mostly with promoters who won't risk putting them up against the other champs or great competitiors. Chavez jr., Cotto, and Alvarez is some of the champs in that division that is making it uneventful. Guys like Molina, Martinez, eventually Kirkland, and more are very deserving of title shots soon or should be the ones with their belts. I mean seriously..look at all the fights that could happen...

Daniel Geale vs Andy Lee

Geale vs Martinez

Geale vs Pirog

Geale vs Peter Quillin

Geale vs Golovkin

Geale vs Ishida

Pirog vs Golovkin

Andy Lee vs Golovkin

Andy Lee vs Martinez

Andy Lee vs Pirog

Kirkland vs Pirog

Kirkland vs Golovkin

Kirkland vs Martinez

Martinez vs Golovkin

Lara vs Kirkland

Lara vs Andy Lee

Lara vs Martinez

Peter Quillin vs Lara

Quillin vs Martinez

etc.

the match ups is endless but thanks to Windbag Arum and Bottom Rank and OscarDela Fish Filet and turning a wonderful Robert Schaefers Promotions back to Fishnets Boy Promotions by protecting Alvarez, Chavez Jr, and Cotto who are all champs in those divisions doesn't help at all.

+Quote Post
JONdaCON817
post Dec 20 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #6

Welcome to the Dirty South

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 11,493

guess we can pull Him out of the Mayweather running... smh... that doesnt leave Money much room for competition outside of Pac... smh...

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 20 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

Im sure Sturm will take the fight with Sergio, if the money right. Money is what makes these guys fight on, even if they feel/know that they're past their primes. For the record, let's not expect Cotto to move up to middleweight, that aint happenin'.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Dec 20 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #8

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Dec 20 2011, 10:10 PM) *
guess we can pull Him out of the Mayweather running... smh... that doesnt leave Money much room for competition outside of Pac... smh...

Sure it does. Look to free agency. LOL.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 20 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i never heard of macklin. i don't believe i've ever seen him fight either...

i would be satisfied with sturm, pirog or any move to unify 160. if not, a move up to 168 to face andre ward would be major!!!

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Dec 21 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Ward and Martinez have strongly considered fighting each other, and ward does not have that much of a size advantage over Martinez. But I really doubt it will happen

Macklin got robbed against sturm so he is kind of fighting a guy who beat sturm so I don't have a problem with this fight. But I still don't really see the hype in sturm so I don't really see it as a step up in competition, pirog has done absolutely nothing except mirror Tim Bradley. Had he fought Lara I would gain some respect for him

I know Martinez would love a big pay day but I don't think he minds making north of a million dollars to keep busting up the people who will fight him on hbo. Because to me he does not look to be slowing down at all, he's a very fresh 37. But trying to go up and down in weight for a pay day at that age still doesn't sound like a good idea

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 02:50 AM