IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why do Pacquaio's PPVs consistently sell less than Floyd's, Numbers don't lie.
Cheesey1
post Jan 24 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #61

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

Also, I forget who brought it up, but someone said that the Mayweather/Ortiz numbers were estimated at 750k before the official numbers were released. That 750k was never taken seriously by anybody apart from those that wanted to see Floyd fail. You don't have to believe me, just check to see where those estimates started.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Jan 24 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #62

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (johnnyblaze @ Jan 24 2012, 03:28 PM) *
Why does Pac do better at the gate than Floyd?

Floyd hasn't sold out a fight since Hatton.

I'm willing to listen and learn. Please show me when they fought in the same venue and what their respective gates were. You can't really compare gate unless the venue and tickets being sold are the same. I'll wait for your response.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Jan 24 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #63

Super Middleweight

Extant, did you find the numbers that I very nicely asked you to post? Please do so. Thanks bud.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Jan 24 2012, 05:58 PM

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Jan 24 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #64

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

I will pay any of Bob Arum's employees 5K to slip poison in his country coffee. Fucking bitch!

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 25 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #65

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Oh yeah guys, I forgot to mention...the molester aka johnnyblaze is gone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Plah
post Jan 25 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #66

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 24 2012, 02:12 PM) *
This has nothing to do with you...move outta the way...

LOL

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 25 2012, 01:29 PM
Post #67

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 24 2012, 04:37 PM) *
There it goes...done.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Jan 25 2012, 01:46 PM
Post #68

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,282

I mean, I think overall it's pretty even.

There are both opportunistic and circumstantial factors here.

Floyd was at the right place at the right time when he fought DLH and Hatton:

DLH was fighting at a weight he had no problems reaching and on his terms, in a mega event, i.e. people thought he had a real shot at beating Floyd.

Hatton was undefeated and was brutalizing the people he beat, and had a huge fan base behind him.

Manny did respectable numbers with both of those guys, but the opportunity was limited given Floyd having fought those guys.

Then again, let's look at circumstantial factors:

Floyd comes out of retirement to fight JMM and does about 1 MM buys.

Pacquiao fights JMM 2 years later, when the latter is aging and has lost a step or 2, and manages to do 1.4 MM.

Pacquiao fights Cotto and Margacheato and comfortably eclipses 1 MM buys each time.

Floyd and Manny do comparable figures against Mosley.

Floyd fights a guy who will be on PPV for the first time in Ortiz and does 1.25 MM.

Whoever both of these guys fights next, they will eclipse 1 MM buys.

That's why I believe that when they do fight (if it ever happens), it should be split 50/50.

Floyd has a case if you count DLH, that he deserves more money. Take that out as a once in a lifetime thing, and you'll find that they're currently the same level of superstar.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 25 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #69

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 25 2012, 06:46 PM) *

DLH was fighting at a weight he had no problems reaching and on his terms, in a mega event, i.e. people thought he had a real shot at beating Floyd.

Hatton was undefeated and was brutalizing the people he beat, and had a huge fan base behind him.

Manny did respectable numbers with both of those guys, but the opportunity was limited given Floyd having fought those guys.

Pacquiao fights JMM 2 years later, when the latter is aging and has lost a step or 2, and manages to do 1.4 MM.

Pacquiao fights Cotto and Margacheato and comfortably eclipses 1 MM buys each time.

Floyd fights a guy who will be on PPV for the first time in Ortiz and does 1.25 MM.

That's why I believe that when they do fight (if it ever happens), it should be split 50/50.

Floyd has a case if you count DLH, that he deserves more money. Take that out as a once in a lifetime thing, and you'll find that they're currently the same level of superstar.

this post says it all

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 25 2012, 02:05 PM
Post #70

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 25 2012, 01:46 PM) *

You have great points Max, some I agree with, and some not so much. You're right about Floyd...he was in the right place at the right time for the DLH and Hatton fight. Check this out, he was a FREE AGENT, something that Manny isn't...and he's staring at the biggest fight of his career soon (hopefully) with no free agency, so that shows why he wants a 50/50 split...that helps him recoup some of the money that Arum AND GBP (still) is going to pull out of his ass.

As far as Manny and the DLH & Hatton fights, pretty opportunistic and he did pretty good numbers. Floyd's fight with Hatton could also be considered opportunistic, being the fact that he scooped him up while he was still hot (undefeated).

Pacquiao/Cotto...I give this to Manny, hands down...that fight had "crazy revenue & PPV numbers" written all over it. The Margarito fight was just promoted well, and the numbers were good. Floyd fought Ortiz (who NEVER headlined a PPV and still relatively unknown) and did 1.25M, while Pac needs Floyd's leftovers and guys with names to pull in numbers.

If Floyd were to fight Cotto in May, we would have the chance to see who does big numbers, regardless of the opponent and their current status. I can imagine Floyd would've fought Cotto back in '09 instead of Marquez, but Cotto was still with Arum then, so Im sure Arum would've picked Manny (an in-house cash cow) to fight Miguel (another in-house cash cow) to keep all of his damn money, regardless.

I say that they should shoot for a December bout...leaving both fighters a chance to fight in May and June, just to see who does better numbers. Arum can kill that November shit for Manny, as if Manny didn't fight the biggest fight of his life (DLH) in DECEMBER '08. Mega fights can be made on any month of the year, not just on Arum's schedule. Anybody tired of simpleton Pacquiao not being able to say shit?

Now, when we speak of comparing the Mosley numbers...that's still in the air. From Manny's situation, Im sure THAT PPV didn't do as much as Bob predicted. I saw somebody posted a link from ESPN about the Pac/Mosley numbers hitting 1.3M, but let's be fair and say that those numbers were swept under the rug. 

Floyd came back and fought Manny's leftovers (twice over) and still hit 1M buys. As far as Pac/JMM doing 1.4M, that was just a number that Arum pulled out of his ass and fed to the public. Had it done 1.4M, then Im sure the numbers would've been all over the place and HIGHLY compared to the numbers Manny did with Cotto.

Oh yeah...good points Max! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 08:07 PM