Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maidana over rated?
mgrover
post Feb 16 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

hes in the wrong era of boxing thats for sure, a guy like him would of done better in the 70s and 80s i think
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Feb 16 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #12

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,299

Maidana is the perennial, "you can win or lose this fight the same way: easily" fighter. If you can box, possess good stamina w/ movement, you beat him pretty easily. However, if ANY 1 of the aforementioned attribute is missing, you can lose that fight REAL easy. I'll say this, dude maximizes his abilities, EVERY fight.

Look at the Khan fight...hit w/ a body shot that literally "took his breath away". Got back up and proceeded to stalk the hell outta Khan. I think he's a pretty good fighter. Is he the best? Not by a long shot, but more dangerous than anyone really wants him to be.

The toughest thing about Maidana is NOT being lured into fighting his fight. This usually ends badly for the guy standing across from him.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 16 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 16 2012, 07:18 PM) *
hes in the wrong era of boxing thats for sure, a guy like him would of done better in the 70s and 80s i think

he seems to be doing well for himself now. i agree though...he is a throwback fighter.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 16 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #14

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 16 2012, 07:19 PM) *
Maidana is the perennial, "you can win or lose this fight the same way: easily" fighter. If you can box, possess good stamina w/ movement, you beat him pretty easily. However, if ANY 1 of the aforementioned attribute is missing, you can lose that fight REAL easy. I'll say this, dude maximizes his abilities, EVERY fight.

Look at the Khan fight...hit w/ a body shot that literally "took his breath away". Got back up and proceeded to stalk the hell outta Khan. I think he's a pretty good fighter. Is he the best? Not by a long shot, but more dangerous than anyone really wants him to be.

The toughest thing about Maidana is NOT being lured into fighting his fight. This usually ends badly for the guy standing across from him.

very well said.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Feb 16 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #15

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 16 2012, 06:09 PM) *
and before the ortiz fight he was 25-1 w/24kos. that does NOT happen by accident.

25-1 is irrelevant if the 25 were meaningless opponents. Lots of young fighters have great records when they are upcoming, in terms of ranking though until you beat quality opposition IMO you don't deserve to rise much. All of Maidana's fights pre-Ortiz do nothing for him rank wise; all they do is give him more experience for bigger fights down the road.

My point in starting this thread wasn't to bash Maidana; I think I made that clear in the initial post. I like the guy and enjoy watching him. It's just comments like the one above for example, someone taking him over Mayweather... or guys picking him to beat whoever (insert a top 3 name) when he hasn't beaten any top guys out there.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 16 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #16

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

Maidana is one of those guys that you can look good against, as far as airing out your arsenal...but shit gets wild when you either run out of shit to do, or it stops working...THEN the fight has just started for him.

As far as his record (pre-Ortiz), I can honestly stand up and say that all of the pros in the sport, have had their share of bums on their record, especially in the beginning of their career. It sucks when they're past 20 fights and still sharing the ring with bums.

+Quote Post
Hittman25
post Feb 16 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #17

Flyweight

Member No.: 10,662

Im saying if maywheather fought maidana i would pay to see it I know maywheather most likely would kill him but maidana's punchers chance is the best in the biz. If he is fighting any top level guy i would pay to see.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Feb 17 2012, 12:34 AM
Post #18

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

This threads kind of disrespectful. As Kevin durant said "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". The guy brings everything he has every fight, and that's why him and morales made a hell of a fight. You could say he's overrated but if his opponents do the same better believe they are in for a surprise.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Feb 17 2012, 08:44 AM
Post #19

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

Here's a good way to tell exactly how overrated a fighter is: all the people calling him overrated haven't shared a ring w/ him and those that have, keep silent.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 17 2012, 09:57 AM
Post #20

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 17 2012, 08:44 AM) *
Here's a good way to tell exactly how overrated a fighter is: all the people calling him overrated haven't shared a ring w/ him and those that have, keep silent.

There's no better way of putting this...good stuff.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:00 PM