IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Poll: What is The Single Biggest Issue Leading to Bad Officiating in Boxing?, And Why?
Single Biggest Issue Boxing Leading to Bad Officiating?
What is It? And Why?
Incompetence [ 2 ] ** [10.53%]
Favoritism [ 5 ] ** [26.32%]
Corruption [ 10 ] ** [52.63%]
Not Sure [ 2 ] ** [10.53%]
Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
Cshel86
post Feb 21 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #11

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 21 2012, 02:05 PM) *
Bias can spread not only to the commissions, the sanctioning bodies, and even the commentary. For instance, how many times has Jim Lampley commented in a negative way about an HBO contracted fighter?

Yep...its absolutely terrible when the commentators get involved. I have great respect for Showtime commentators, rather than HBO commentators. Seriously, those guys at Showtime tell it as they see it, while HBO is too busy promoting the fighters during the fight.

The only two exceptions at HBO are, RJJ, Merchant (sometimes), and Kellerman (for sure). As for Lampley and Steward...those dudes drive me crazy with their nuthugging...that's only if Steward can decide when to hit the switch, since he usually tries to go with the wave of the fight.

Lampley is the worst when it comes to pom-pom waving though. I had to mute the tv for the Khan/Peterson and Donaire/Vasquez fight. I mean seriously, they took it too far. Lampley seemed pissed that only one of the two "knockdowns" were called in the Khan/Peterson fight, when truthfully, both of those knockdowns were bogus as hell.

Guys like Martinez have been robbed out of decisions, and I can see why he tries to knock the shit out of everyone he steps in the ring with. He had to beat Pavlike to bloody pulp to win that MW title. Had Pavlik not been cut, then Im quite sure some fuckery would've taken place...especially after that bogus knockdown occurred.

Good point Jack...it does seem like DiBella's fighters usually get jerked out of decisions. Either that, or they wither away while waiting on a title shot that they earned in an eliminator bout (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Feb 21 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #12

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,770

Not to disregard all of these reasons - but I think the biggest obstacle is the very sport itself. A fist fight between two human beings is not something that can be easily officiated, ever, and under any circumstances. The ambiguous duties of boxing referees is very much a part of boxing tradition (Dempsey's long count, Ali holding Frazier behind the head, Chuck Wepner hitting behind the head etc.)...a fight is not something that can be controlled in the same way baseball, basketball, soccer etc.

I do not agree with the notion that referee work is exceptionally bad compared to past eras. This year especially highlighted that aspect of boxing, with all of the debacles. But, historically this is more a continuation than it is a change.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Feb 21 2012, 05:04 PM
Post #13

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 21 2012, 01:46 PM) *
Did anybody get that feeling of an upset, during the 12th round. I just knew that Cloud was going to lose, but then Antonion Tarver started talking about the De La Hoya dash at the end of the Trinidad fight...and I immediately came to my senses. I also forgot Don King was there...silly me, huh?

Felt like that during JMM-Pac 3.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 22 2012, 10:44 AM
Post #14

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Plah @ Feb 21 2012, 05:04 PM) *
Felt like that during JMM-Pac 3.

You too? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Feb 22 2012, 11:51 PM
Post #15

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

That's why it's so hard to bet on boxing. Even if you pick the winner, it's not likely that he'll be declared as one.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 06:19 AM