IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fighters who have quit in fights, Name them!
alaganza
post Feb 22 2012, 01:41 AM
Post #21

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 76

I don't mind too much if guys quit for the right reasons. However, the guys that bother me are the ones that quit fighting and run until the goal bell. Example: after Mosley got popped by Manny he basically quit.

I'd rather a fighter not answer the bell and quit on the stool than to do some crap like that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Feb 22 2012, 08:46 AM
Post #22

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (alaganza @ Feb 22 2012, 02:41 AM) *
I don't mind too much if guys quit for the right reasons. However, the guys that bother me are the ones that quit fighting and run until the goal bell. Example: after Mosley got popped by Manny he basically quit.

I'd rather a fighter not answer the bell and quit on the stool than to do some crap like that.

Well, the precursor to that behavior was exactly 2 min. deep in the 2nd round of the Mayweather fight.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 22 2012, 09:27 AM
Post #23

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (alaganza @ Feb 22 2012, 01:41 AM) *

Now you really have me thinking which is the lesser of the two evils...quitting on the stool, or giving viewers a false sense of hope until the final bell. I agree though...a guy running his way to the final bell is annoying, especially if the charges are going to show up on my next month's bill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Quitting on the stool, has his perks, very few though. At least the trainer can take the blame for the fight being stopped in the corner...basically saying that he was looking out for his fighter's safety, while the fighter still wanted to continue (though it wouldn't be the truth). Perfect damage control...

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Feb 22 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #24

Lightweight

Member No.: 76

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 22 2012, 08:46 AM) *
Well, the precursor to that behavior was exactly 2 min. deep in the 2nd round of the Mayweather fight.

True.

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 22 2012, 09:27 AM) *
Now you really have me thinking which is the lesser of the two evils...quitting on the stool, or giving viewers a false sense of hope until the final bell. I agree though...a guy running his way to the final bell is annoying, especially if the charges are going to show up on my next month's bill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Quitting on the stool, has his perks, very few though. At least the trainer can take the blame for the fight being stopped in the corner...basically saying that he was looking out for his fighter's safety, while the fighter still wanted to continue (though it wouldn't be the truth). Perfect damage control...

Brother I will let you make your own determination on that. But as for me, I don't like my time to be wasted. If you're not going to fight then go sit down somewhere! And stop wasting everyone's time.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 22 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #25

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (alaganza @ Feb 22 2012, 07:11 PM) *
I don't like my time to be wasted. If you're not going to fight then go sit down somewhere! And stop wasting everyone's time.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Exactly! Either take the punch that's going to dismantle you, or give it up! No need to leave us hoping! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 29 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #26

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (pesticid @ Feb 21 2012, 07:20 PM) *
Duran
Vitaly
Cotto
Kostya
Sam Peter
Tyson
Smoke Gainer
Sonny Liston
Ray Robinson
The Atomic Bull
Victor Ortiz
Devon Alexander?
Kermit Cintron
DLH?
Rubio
Luis Ramon Campas
Robbie Peden
Acelino Freitas
Mohamed Abdulaev
Genaro Hernandez
JC Chavez
Antonio Demarco
Sharmba
Golota

cotto, robinson and mccall never quit.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 29 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #27

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 21 2012, 07:29 PM) *
First, define "quitting". Then, answer why there's no DLH vs. Hopkins or Kermit Cintron on that list?

If you're referencing the Chris Byrd fight, kinda hard to throw Vitali in that mix, as a shoulder injury prevented him from continuing. From what I remember, he was getting the best of Byrd in that fight.

u need to go back and watch that one over. byrd made him miss big time...he was gassed and byrd was turning it on.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 29 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #28

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 21 2012, 08:00 PM) *
One could argue Morales against Pacquiao III.

arguello against pryor 2.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 29 2012, 08:25 PM
Post #29

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (pesticid @ Feb 21 2012, 08:13 PM) *
I thought Bhop kinda quit against Chad

no kinda about it.

he also quit against allen in their first fight.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 29 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #30

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (hitman @ Feb 21 2012, 08:42 PM) *
i guess what this list shows me is that there are different degrees of quitting. each situation is different. some are more acceptable than others. many of the guys who have "quit" are some of the greatest warriors of all time. duran quit, not because of getting beat up, but because of frustration. cotto and arguello (pryor rematch) fought with all their heart and just got beat down. morales was shot and weight drained and went to war for 3 rounds and knew that he didn't have it anymore and couldn't win. those guys may have quit but their not quitters to me.

then their are guys like bruce seldon who was scared to death and faked getting knocked down vs. tyson. golota quit from fear vs. tyson too. a lot of tyson opponents did. devon alexander fought scared and quit from a cut vs. bradley. cloud was getting his ass kicked much worse and had a much worse cut and he told the doctor "do not stop this fight." alexander put on an acting job with the doctor. those examples of quitting are much less acceptable to me.

very good post.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 02:24 PM