IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another Great Weekend of Boxing!, The hits keep coming.
Cheesey1
post Feb 22 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

Another very nice weekend of boxing is here. Definitely something for everyone. From lightweight aka super featherweight to heavyweight. From boxers to brawlers. Domestic and international. Hopefully you fight fans are looking forward to this weekend as much as I am.

I'm only mentioning the more high profile bouts, but I plan on watching everything that's going to be shown. Who are your picks to win?

Friday:
Showtime's Shobox: Jessie Vargas vs. Lanardo Tyner - No disrespect to Lanardo Tyner, but many fight fans expect Jessie Vargas to continue his steady rise up the ranks of the Lt. WW division by adding Lanardo Tyner's scalp to his belt. Who knows though, we saw what happened with Cloud and Campillo last week. Nonetheless, I'm picking Vargas (even though I really should have checked out some of Tyner's earlier fights).

Showtime's Shobox: Deandre Latimore vs. Milton Nunez - 154lb clash. Great division and Latimore's apparently well regarded. I'm sure that I've seen him box before, but the memory circuits are failing me.

FNF: Juan Carlos Burgos vs. Cristobal Cruz - same division as Adrian Broner and Burgos is apparently in the top ten. I'm not familair with him, or Cruz, but let's see what they're about.
FNF: Edgar Santana vs. Manuel Perez

Saturday:
Epix - Start your afternoon off (for those over here) with the heavyweight clash- Alexander Povetkin vs. Marco Huck. This is being billed as a clash of boxer/brawlers. Povetkin is apparently no longer being trained by Teddy Atlas, so that's a bit of intrigue (it might be a temporary thing, not sure). I'm interested to see what the cruiserweight Huck can do. We've had a few cruiserweights move up to heavyweight with success.

HBO: Devon Alexander vs. Marcos Maidana - yup this is it. Boxer vs. Brawler. Accused vs. Accuser. I've got to go with Alexander and I think that he'll either get the late TKO, or a wide decision.
HBO: Adrian Broner vs. Eloy Perez - also another very interesting fight. Broner's looked very solid and at times sublime recently, but was that because of the level of opposition? Eloy Perez seems to be a step up and also seems very confident of his abilities. Good stuff. Going for Broner (please don't do that stupid "comb my hair" shit), but may the best man win. Also can't forget that Broner's newly won title is at stake.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Feb 23 2012, 02:24 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Cshel86
post Feb 23 2012, 09:09 AM
Post #2

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Im ready! Juan Carlos Burgos had little trouble with the last "Cruz" he fought on the JMM/Pac 3 undercard, which was Luiz Cruz. So this one should make for an interesting bout, since Cristobal Cruz is no slouch (though he's lost a whole ass of fights). Burgos is going to dominate though.

Lanardo Tyner may be some type of force for Vargas. Hell, he's gone the distance with Canelo, and actually gave him a decent fight. Vargas may have his hands full because its obvious that Tyner has a chin, as he took Canelo's shots, and he also answers back, even when in trouble.

After I saw the Vargas/Lopez fight, I found out quickly that Vargas gets too excited, gasses out, and finds himself up the creek when he faces a guy with a good chin. This should be a good one. As far as Latimore, Im not sure I've seen his opponent before, but he should look okay. I just remember Latimore from FNFs!

I haven't seen Povetkin or Huck fight, but Im sure I'll enjoy streaming it, since I no longer have Epix with my cable provider. By the way, what time does this air?

Im absolutely ready for the B.A.D. card. Im sure Perez will be a live body for Broner...as long as he uses exceptional head movement and doesn't get caught with a counter. Hook, right, goodnight! Im sure he'll make a fight of it though.

The main event better end as I expect...in a TKO. If it goes to the card, then Maidana is fucked, period, point blank. Devon would come out better by "looking good while losing", rather than the standard St. Louis protocol of a "hometown gimme".

Seriously, he cant afford to receive another decision like this, because at this point, it's twice as bad as losing. It only proves that he's subject to get his ass kicked anywhere outside of the St. Louis area.

+Quote Post
jrosales13
post Feb 23 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #3

Amateur

Member No.: 12,657

Good boxing weekend, 2nd good weekend for boxing in a row.

Note: Lattimore will not be facing Ryan. He couldn't pass an eye exam. He will be fighting Milton Nuņez, a Colombian banger with a weak chin. All 3 losses have been KO'd in the st first round

I think Burgos-Cruz will be the fight of the weekend.

I want to pick Perez to beat Broner but I doubt he gets a decision in the Lou. Even if he deserves to win.

Alexander should and will beat Maidana by decision. And, I don't think it will be a robbery either.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 23 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (jrosales13 @ Feb 23 2012, 10:38 AM) *

Note: Lattimore will not be facing Ryan. He couldn't pass an eye exam. He will be fighting Milton Nuņez, a Colombian banger with a weak chin. All 3 losses have been KO'd in the st first round

I want to pick Perez to beat Broner but I doubt he gets a decision in the Lou. Even if he deserves to win.

Alexander should and will beat Maidana by decision. And, I don't think it will be a robbery either.

Yeah I just read about Latimore's opponent not being able to pass an eye exam...dude is fucked for future fights if he cant pass an eye exam. Lately, these last-minute opponents have been showing up, so he may put up a decent fight.

As far as your Alexander/Maidana prediction...that's a pretty bold one, but we've seen it before from Alexander (in St Louis), so anything can happen. Im wondering what will happen when he either; gets tired of boxing Maidana or when/if he gets too excited and think he can bang with him.

In the meantime, I'll hold you to your prediction and pray for a great scrap!

+Quote Post
jrosales13
post Feb 23 2012, 11:00 AM
Post #5

Amateur

Member No.: 12,657

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 23 2012, 11:56 AM) *
Yeah I just read about Latimore's opponent not being able to pass an eye exam...dude is fucked for future fights if he cant pass an eye exam. Lately, these last-minute opponents have been showing up, so he may put up a decent fight.

As far as your Alexander/Maidana prediction...that's a pretty bold one, but we've seen it before from Alexander (in St Louis), so anything can happen. Im wondering what will happen when he either; gets tired of boxing Maidana or when/if he gets too excited and think he can bang with him.

In the meantime, I'll hold you to your prediction and pray for a great scrap!

I think Maidana might run out fo time. He might come on strong late in the fight but it will be too late. Maybe if it was a 12 round fight I could see Maidana doing something. Having it 10 rounds benefits Alexander greatly. He should have no issues here. Maidana team are stupid for not pushing to having it 12 rounds.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Feb 23 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #6

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I kinda lost my enthusiasm about the Maidana vs Alexander fight when I found out it was 10 rounds. WTF is that about?

I think if Alexander wants to win, he's going to have to come out fast yet cautious. It think he needs to fight Maidana like Cotto fought Magarito. Combinations then back on the bicycle.

I agree with CShel. If he gets somemore hometown cooking, his rep will be tarnished. He also probably wont ever get another big fight in St Louis again.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Feb 23 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (jrosales13 @ Feb 23 2012, 10:38 AM) *

Thanks, I'll make the change.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Feb 24 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Boxing starts in a few hours!

I completely forgot that it's all star weekend.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Feb 24 2012, 09:19 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 24 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 24 2012, 06:36 PM) *
Boxing starts in a few hours!

Man this shit needs to hurry up! I was looking around for the Alexander/Maidana weigh-in pics...no luck just yet.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 24 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Hahahaha!!! Bradley's getting his time to shine. Cant knock him that. This fight was partly planned, and partly happening by default, but oh well.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 02:20 AM