Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tale of two press conferences
Cshel86
post Feb 29 2012, 07:13 PM
Post #21

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

As far as Floyd's outfit in the recent press conference along with those throne-type chairs and the set up...it took me waaaay back. Im trying to remember if John Saxon or Jim Kelly wore that outfit in Enter the Dragon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Feb 29 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #22

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Forget the Shane and Pac fight.. the Clottey Pac fight pressers and even the stare down was full of nothing but hugs and giggles... we saw what that Clottey Pac fight was.. just when I was starting to think Bradley would do something.. the information about the laughs and giggles got me not giving a damned about this bout for some reason...

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Mar 1 2012, 02:48 PM
Post #23

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,125

I prefer a serious press conference. After seeing Bradley transform into a different person my stomach turned. Both press conferences proved one thing, the business side of boxing. You have Manny who is everyone's "nice" guy and Bradley turning into Mr. Carl Winslow. It is a dog and pony show. While Cotto/Mayweather was about boxing and selling a fight. I do wish Pacqiao & Mayweather stop mentioning each other, it is getting boring.

And what boxing fan doesn't like a knock out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wtf.gif)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 1 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #24

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Mar 1 2012, 02:48 PM) *
I do wish Pacqiao & Mayweather stop mentioning each other, it is getting boring.

I have to agree with this...

+Quote Post
Archimedes
post Mar 1 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #25

Amateur

Member No.: 13,487

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Feb 28 2012, 07:26 AM) *
Having watched both Mayweather/Cotto and Pacquiao/Bradley press conferences the differences in the two is telling. While Bradley is smiling and giggling with Pacquiao reminded me of Shane Mosley and viewers saw how that fight went. Pacquiao is taking pictures of Bradley and the two couldn't keep a straight face during the stare down. Way to sell tickets. On the other side you have the Mayweather/Cotto press conference. All business. There was some tension between the two and the stare down was cool. There was no hugging and laughing, there was mutual respect but that is where it ended. That is how you sell a fight.

My question: How can fans take these press tours? I lost futher interest with Pac and Bradley. If history teaches us anything the Pac/Bradley fight may be like the Shane and Pacquiao fight. Bradley has been a trash talker throughout his unknown career, why is he changing who he is? I guess Pacquaio is playing mind games. Yes I will be nice to you and pretend we are buddies but 9 June I am kicking your ass. Notice Juan Manuel did not play that nice guy role with Pac and that fight turned into a great robbery.

Mayweather/Cotto presser all business. They said their peace and went on. Ortiz Mayweather went similar. There was a sense of respect until Ortiz started feeling himself which was great. I thought Ortiz had a shot until the bell rung. If these press conferences have proven anything from my perspective and a would be paying PPV customer, I would be wary of Pac/Bradley fight than I would be of Mayweather/Cotto. Cotto seems hungry and fired up while Bradley is just happy to be there.

I'm not so sure if anything really useful can be gained from an observation like this. The press conference in itself is somewhat of an art form in which Mayweather has flourished, and despite Pacquiao's fierce ring performances, in my humble opinion, his true persona isn't very compelling at all. If anything Pacquiao's guilty of being a ham for the cameras but I read nothing into his press conferences beyond that. I'm sure Pacquiao would be much more interesting if he could speak better English, but he can't, he can’t really bring his opponent into a tense situation because some comprehension of the language is needed for a true standoff.

I once had a girlfriend whose English was as broken as a wishbone on Thanksgiving. We did a lot of laughing and giggling, universal human traits that connect all people, but when it came to the finer points of communication we were utterly lost on each other. I suspect there's some truth to there being a "communication barrier" in the way he sells himself.

I'm not really thrilled about the Bradley match up, because a string of Manny's fights have been with competition that are in questionable condition or placed in a situation where they are not optimal, that I think is the better discussion, along with Bob Arum's hold over the Filipino "superstar."

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 1 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #26

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Archimedes @ Mar 1 2012, 07:06 PM) *
I'm not so sure if anything really useful can be gained from an observation like this. The press conference in itself is somewhat of an art form in which Mayweather has flourished, and despite Pacquiao's fierce ring performances, in my humble opinion, his true persona isn't very compelling at all. If anything Pacquiao's guilty of being a ham for the cameras but I read nothing into his press conferences beyond that. I'm sure Pacquiao would be much more interesting if he could speak better English, but he can't, he can’t really bring his opponent into a tense situation because some comprehension of the language is needed for a true standoff.

I once had a girlfriend whose English was as broken as a wishbone on Thanksgiving. We did a lot of laughing and giggling, universal human traits that connect all people, but when it came to the finer points of communication we were utterly lost on each other. I suspect there's some truth to there being a "communication barrier" in the way he sells himself.

Great points! Glad you brought up the communication barrier, which leads me to my points. Manny's biggest fights; Morales trilogy, Marquez trilogy, both Barrera fights, Margarito, Cotto, even the Clottey fight...have been dampered by the language barrier. I can throw the Oscar fight in there, in regards to Manny's english, and the Mosley fight as well...since Shane cant talk shit to save his life (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

His fights truly get the recognition that they deserve, after the first bell has rung, so let's not expect an extravagant press conference tour. Other than that, his team and promoter builds his fights. In the Cotto/Mayweather build up, we may see the same Floyd that we saw for the Marquez build up...very limited trash talk on Floyd's behalf.

+Quote Post
Archimedes
post Mar 2 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #27

Amateur

Member No.: 13,487

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 1 2012, 07:01 PM) *
Great points! Glad you brought up the communication barrier, which leads me to my points. Manny's biggest fights; Morales trilogy, Marquez trilogy, both Barrera fights, Margarito, Cotto, even the Clottey fight...have been dampered by the language barrier. I can throw the Oscar fight in there, in regards to Manny's english, and the Mosley fight as well...since Shane cant talk shit to save his life (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

His fights truly get the recognition that they deserve, after the first bell has rung, so let's not expect an extravagant press conference tour. Other than that, his team and promoter builds his fights. In the Cotto/Mayweather build up, we may see the same Floyd that we saw for the Marquez build up...very limited trash talk on Floyd's behalf.

Most folks that speak English fluently don't realize how difficult it is for someone that doesn't have such a firm grasp. Also, his fights do get recognition as you stated, sometimes far more than he deserves imho, which makes me think there's more to the Pacquiao phenomena than just what he is able to do in the ring. Some of Pacquiao's most staunch supporters don't merely analyze what he does in the ring, indeed they transfer whatever fantasies they garner from his performances to transform him into a saint. Essentially what that does is pollute reality, it makes Pacquiao a one dimensional sort of personality that does everything right and makes him beyond reproach or scrutiny. “Real” people bear little resemblance to the images conjured by their fans.

As for Floyd Mayweather, his ring performances are nearly flawless but the reverse is happening to him, whereas people transfer Manny's abilities out of the ring to make Manny the perfect person, Mayweather's character and statements outside of the ring are transferred into it making whatever he does not good enough.

Floyd's comfortable in the spotlight so big fights are routine to him. I think Floyd needs to do less trash talk for his fights because we've already come to expect a certain type of behavior to follow him into a big fight, we can expect the bravado of a press tour, and his trademark 24/7's which are amazingly compelling. (I thought Cotto's last 24/7 was fantastic as well.)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 2 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #28

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Archimedes @ Mar 2 2012, 11:48 AM) *
Most folks that speak English fluently don't realize how difficult it is for someone that doesn't have such a firm grasp. Also, his fights do get recognition as you stated, sometimes far more than he deserves imho, which makes me think there's more to the Pacquiao phenomena than just what he is able to do in the ring. Some of Pacquiao's most staunch supporters don't merely analyze what he does in the ring, indeed they transfer whatever fantasies they garner from his performances to transform him into a saint. Essentially what that does is pollute reality, it makes Pacquiao a one dimensional sort of personality that does everything right and makes him beyond reproach or scrutiny. “Real” people bear little resemblance to the images conjured by their fans.

As for Floyd Mayweather, his ring performances are nearly flawless but the reverse is happening to him, whereas people transfer Manny's abilities out of the ring to make Manny the perfect person, Mayweather's character and statements outside of the ring are transferred into it making whatever he does not good enough.

Floyd's comfortable in the spotlight so big fights are routine to him. I think Floyd needs to do less trash talk for his fights because we've already come to expect a certain type of behavior to follow him into a big fight, we can expect the bravado of a press tour, and his trademark 24/7's which are amazingly compelling. (I thought Cotto's last 24/7 was fantastic as well.)

Man Im fuckin' speechless...there's nothing about your post that I can disagree with (not that I was looking to). I just wish that Manny spent more time working on his English, so that he'd be more verbal throughout the build up. Seriously though, at the beginning of his career, it was terrible, but I must say, its tremendously improved.

As for his team and promoter (who are instrumental in tell him what to say and what to not say), they've put a bit of a strain on his reputation, just a bit though. Especially when he was being asked about drug testing and such. You can tell that most of them weren't his words, but oh well. I would just to hear more from him, rather than his team...it would really increase his appeal in my opinion.

You're right, the Cotto 24/7 was great....short, sweet, and straight to the point. His English has gotten better as well, he just doesn't talk much anyway...so I cant knock him. This 24/7 is going to look weird with Mayweather and Cotto, but as I stated earlier...it may be similar to Mayweather/Marquez 24/7.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Mar 2 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #29

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (Archimedes @ Mar 1 2012, 08:06 PM) *

I'm not really thrilled about the Bradley match up, because a string of Manny's fights have been with competition that are in questionable condition or placed in a situation where they are not optimal, that I think is the better discussion, along with Bob Arum's hold over the Filipino "superstar."

Cotto does not speak english and neither did Margarito or Juan Manuel. When Cotto/Mayweather it is respect and that is where the nice guy routine ends. Margs and Cotto there was a reason for the no love loss but you understood by body language they wanted to hurt each other. JMM does not speak english and his body language said I want to beat this guy. Bradley and Pac on the other hand: preliminary date to a gay marriage. Cotto/Mayweather tension. Body language is universal.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 2 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #30

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Mar 2 2012, 12:05 PM) *
Cotto does not speak english and neither did Margarito or Juan Manuel. When Cotto/Mayweather it is respect and that is where the nice guy routine ends. Margs and Cotto there was a reason for the no love loss but you understood by body language they wanted to hurt each other. JMM does not speak english and his body language said I want to beat this guy. Bradley and Pac on the other hand: preliminary date to a gay marriage. Cotto/Mayweather tension. Body language is universal.

Cotto DOES speak English...maybe not all that great, but he does speak it. Juan Marquez is working on his, and its getting there. Im not sure we'll hear him speaking it fluent, but he's working on it. Now Margarito (as you mentioned) doesn't, and it appears that he has no intentions on doing such.

Let's be honest here...Mayweather doesn't respect Cotto, really. Please dont say stuff alluding to "gay marriage", because as we ALL know, the things you say, usually turn a thread into a war zone. Again, as far as Mayweather and Cotto's body language, there is no tension...both fighters are about to have a sick payday though.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 05:40 PM