IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sanctioning Body Stunts..., Whose Worse?
Cshel86
post Mar 4 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

http://www.boxingscene.com/wba-returns-tit...manuever--50271

We've seen the stunts pulled by the WBC (for Chavez Jr., Alvarez, and Morales), and it's been defended to no bounds. NOW, the WBA has pulled a stunt of it's own. They now "recognize" Khan as the Super Champ of the division, and the fuckin' rematch hasn't even came yet.

As we all know, the WBA ordered the immediate rematch between the two, so what the fuck is the point of them crowning Khan as champ, and not one punch has landed in the rematch?

It would've been easier for them to just give the belt back to him, but there's no need for them to piss on Peterson, and then turn around to tell him that its raining outside.

Im sure some of us have heard the horseshit from Jose Sulaiman in regards to the Chavez Jr. and Sergio Martinez situation. With that said, what are your thoughts on sanctioning bodies?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Mar 4 2012, 08:28 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,604

I don't judge the fighters by their rankings from the sanctioning bodies. My problem with the commissions is that their rulings are not always upheld. I guess the fact that they can't make the best fight the best I just don't see any use for them or their shitty belts which they profit from

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 4 2012, 09:21 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

I read that article, that's a bunch of bullshit. I really don't see any rational reason why they returned the belt to him. It's yet another example of the mess that the sanctioning bodies have contributed to the sport. What all ways seems to baffle me by the sanctioning bodies actions is they do shit without offering an explanation for it. Campillo filed an appeal with the IBF about that horrendous decision that the judges gave Cloud. I'm curious to see how they handle that situation. And Sulaiman and the WBC is the worst. He constantly contradicts himself while acting as if he really cares for the sport of boxing

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 4 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

wba have always been sly corrupt

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 4 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #5

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 4 2012, 04:16 PM) *

We've seen the stunts pulled by the WBC (for Chavez Jr., Alvarez, and Morales), and it's been defended to no bounds. NOW, the WBA has pulled a stunt of it's own. They now "recognize" Khan as the Super Champ of the division, and the fuckin' rematch hasn't even came yet.

As we all know, the WBA ordered the immediate rematch between the two, so what the fuck is the point of them crowning Khan as champ, and not one punch has landed in the rematch?

It would've been easier for them to just give the belt back to him, but there's no need for them to piss on Peterson, and then turn around to tell him that its raining outside.

Im sure some of us have heard the horseshit from Jose Sulaiman in regards to the Chavez Jr. and Sergio Martinez situation. With that said, what are your thoughts on sanctioning bodies?

This actually was an unconfirmed report from Khan's Twitter Page. Fight News is reporting that Peterson is still champion according to the WBA. So Khan may be talking out of his ass on this one. Maybe a way for him to hype up the fight?

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/wba-says-p...ll-champ-109583

Jack

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 4 2012, 11:43 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Wbc is a joke.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 5 2012, 12:45 AM
Post #7

The Consultant

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 4 2012, 04:16 PM) *

Everyone bitches about them, but few do anything to counter them. If we really wanted to ignore the sanctioning bodies:

1.) There would be one champion in each of the eight weight classes.

2.) Title fights would all still be 15-rounds.

3.) There would be no open scoring, partial open scoring, or open scoring of any kind.

4.) Ring Titles would still have merit

Among other things. There is debate about the 12 vs. 15 round safety issue, or better to fit 12 round championship fights into a network time slot, or both played a role. It is said that more weight classes were created to help fighters prevent dehydration and starving themselves to make weight. The problem is, fighters are hydrating so much that the 20-25 pounds that they put on may be just as dangerous as dehydration if not more so. Especially for the opponent such as Chavez-Rubio, or Gatti-Gamache. What do you do? Cancel the fight if a guy has gained too much? The opponents are hurt now, because they are swallowing punches that are coming from fighters up to 30lbs more than intended.

There are problems with ALL the federations. But the WBC ratings, by most independent observers of ratings are often better than the WBA, IBF, and WBO. I like the WBC's insurance program for fighters and their work with fighter safety and research. They will at least listen to community input. However, Jose Suliamn thinks that everything the WBC does is wonderful and they have done nothing wrong. He is also delusional. At the last WBC convention, he talked about how Hagler never had go 15 rounds in one of his long winded speeches, citing how the WBC 12-round title fight distance was such a dedication to the WBC's safety for fighters. Forgetting Hagler-Auntofermo I, and Hagler-Duran. Both 15-round distance fights, sanctioned by the WBC. There were actually reports that when Duek Koo Kim died in the Mancini fight, that the autopsy report showed that Kim had some abnormal brain lesion that had been there since birth. That's what I remember reading. Now maybe the Mancini fight aggravated the pre-existing injury. However, Suliman had strong backing at the time from the American Medical Association that "If the Mancini-Kim fight had been 12 rounds, Kim would still be alive." The problem is, how can we know that? This has never been proven.

And recently after the WBC went to 12 rounds by a majority vote of the Board of Governors at it's 1982 convention, to start the 12 round bouts in January of 1983, and at that time, introduce the standing eight count as well, there was another ring death in a WBC title fight. Davila-Bejins (KO 12) Bejins died three days later. But this ring death went all but unnoticed. Not sure if this fight was televised nationally, so maybe that had something to do with it if it was not.

The case in point is that all of the issues above, changes in the issues above in boxing are a result of sanctioning body influence. Some may have been good, others not so good, and others it depends on the part of the world where you talk about the changes. For instance while the Association of Boxing Commissions and the British Boxing Board of Control have nullified the WBC's 4th and 8th round Open Scoring rule, Japan embraces the new rule. The rest of the world does not have the animosity that the USA has against the alphabet federations. Because boxing is an international worldwide sport that no longer has the American Champions, Madison Square Garden/New York Commission, One World Champion, Eight Weight Classes, 15 round title fight way of doing business, this allows the alphabet federations to grow very strongly without a system of checks and balances, to show favoritism if they choose to do so, based on how influential the promoter can be, the record of the fighter, the star power of the fighter and so forth.

The WBC is based in Mexico, ruled by a Mexican President, and really is for many, "a breeding ground for Mexican fighters." Jose Suliman has been forgetful in recent years due to advancing age. He may have even forgotten that the 4th and 8th round Open Scoring was tried on a Triple-Header title fight card in April of 1999 about a month after Holyfield-Lewis I, who disastrous call, opted commissions to try new scoring systems. I was involved with writing to commissions and sanctioning bodies at that time. The WBC tried the Open Scoring after the 4th and 8th round of the Keith Holmes-Hassim Cherifi fight. The scores were all over the place, and after the fight, the WBC Supervisor, Mario Latraverse from Canada recommended that the Open Scoring rule be scrapped because he noted that the scores seemed to change to reflect crowd reactions as the fight wore on. And the WBC took out Open Scoring even before it's convention.

No one has been able to answer exactly WHY or because of what fight the WBC brought open scoring back with commissions that don't support it, opting out. And in my view in the right for opting out. Jose does not understand or has forgotten that Open Scoring has a failed past history. I still don't know why they brought it back.

There is no undermining authority to implement or overturn championship sanctioning bodies rules in boxing when they do something stupid. The Unified Rules of the Association of Boxing Commissions are a good start. But if state commissions like Texas do not act with merit and responsibility in respecting those rules, where is the authority? Where are the consequences of ignoring post-fight anti-doping tests in Chavez-Rubio with the WBC and the Texas Commission passing the buck to and from each other? If boxing had a mainstream authority with TV representation that was respected and appropriate actions for rules violations, Derrick Chisora would not be able to start shit and threaten to kill another fighter. Floyd Mayweather and Bernard Hopkins would not be so easy to stand up all call everybody racists and rants without consequences and than go and hide behind some power-hungry corrupt promoter.

A high power boxing promoter with a high power fighter, is like a defense attorney with a multi-millionaire powerful client. The defendant goes out and commits some terrible crime, and the promoter (boxing's defense attorney) goes out and crusades for their guy with the money to pay off the right people to make the bullshit sound minor or the other guys fault. Look at how Tyson was defended by King and by Showtime even after biting Holyfield's ears........twice! Look at how Arum and Jose Suliman who have Mexican fighters wrapped around their little finger to support guys like Margarito after Antonio tried to cheat in the Mosley fight. Look at how judges ALWAYS cater to the star fighter or the the undefeated guy in decisions and guys like Gabriel Campillo, can't get a fair shake on the scorecards going against the marketable guy. We have these"defense attorneys" in boxing. Oscar's Company Golden Boy, Bob Arum, and Al Haymen/Floyd Mayweather productions, and of course 80 something Don King still lurking in the shadows. These are the legs that boxing stands on. And who is going to have the courage to say no to them or their high-profile fighters? This is what is wrong with boxing.

Jack

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 5 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Damn dude, how old are you? You were working to write for to the commission since back then?.. that's pretty cool

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 5 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #9

The Consultant

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 5 2012, 09:45 AM) *
Damn dude, how old are you? You were working to write for to the commission since back then?.. that's pretty cool

Thanks! I'm old! I don't mention my age on forums though. Some people guess between 30-50 over the years, and I say, yea it's in that range! LOL! But with my boxing knowledge, some people think I go to about 75! LOL! No, I'm not THAT OLD!!!!

Jack

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 6 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 5 2012, 07:58 PM) *
Thanks! I'm old! I don't mention my age on forums though. Some people guess between 30-50 over the years, and I say, yea it's in that range! LOL! But with my boxing knowledge, some people think I go to about 75! LOL! No, I'm not THAT OLD!!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Good info that you provided Jack! If I wasn't crazy, I would think you worked one of these commissions or sanctioning bodies back in the day, and you're using the "Jack" alias, so they wont know that you're blowing the whistle on them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I distinctly remember you stating that you've been following boxing for 40 years, so I immediately gave up on doing the math after that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 12:56 PM