IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO or Showtime Commentators?, Your pick?
Cshel86
post Mar 4 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

The title is self-explanatory...just want to know everybody's take on whose better. Compare and contrast, shall we?

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigDDatHomey
post Mar 4 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #2

Junior Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,802

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 4 2012, 08:38 PM) *
The title is self-explanatory...just want to know everybody's take on whose better. Compare and contrast, shall we?

Thoughts?

HBO

I like Roy Jones...like it when Lennox was there.
can't stand Merchant.

Lampley is OK. Sometimes I don't know what the heck he's looking at sometimes.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 4 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Mar 4 2012, 10:50 PM) *
HBO

I like Roy Jones...like it when Lennox was there.
can't stand Merchant.

Lampley is OK. Sometimes I don't know what the heck he's looking at sometimes.

Wrapped it up pretty well.

One thing I could add is Emanuel steward is so obvious with his favorites its annoying.

+Quote Post
Thickback
post Mar 5 2012, 08:48 AM
Post #4

Strawweight

Member No.: 12,355

Roy Jones and Max are my favorite combo because they aren't bias like everyone else. I hate Merchant, I'm tired of him asking from "drama" in every fight...."where's the drama" "Will this live up to the hype". Lampley used to be one of my favorites but he is getting senial and delusional. His obvious favortism has become a disgrace. manny S is on the fence. Some times he's on point and some times he shows too much dislike for certain boxers.

The Showtime crew knows their stuff but are so BLAH and boring. Tarver is doofy but I like his commentary.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 5 2012, 09:30 AM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Thickback @ Mar 5 2012, 08:48 AM) *
Roy Jones and Max are my favorite combo because they aren't bias like everyone else.

I agree with RJJ and Kellerman, and the crazy part is...at one point, I couldn't stand Max Kellerman, seriously. He's worked his way to the top, and if I remember correctly, he started to grow on me while calling the Morales/Maidana fight.

Merchant can be over the top annoying, but not as much as he used to be. It's hard to admit it, but if he weren't on HBO anymore, something would really be missing. Lampley is one of the greats when it comes to being the face of HBO and his voice fits those dramatic recaps of great fights. His commentating is okay, but his extreme man-crushes and bias towards fighters, is in overdrive.

Steward is doing this see-saw thing, that has become a bit annoying. His predictions are usually on point, but he starts this "last-minute" predictions crap when the tides of the fight changes. His bias ways become annoying as hell from time to time as well.

As for the Showtime commentators, I actually dont have many complaints about them. I used to HATE Gus Johnson, but after I sit down and listen to him, his excitement and weird terms such as "he got hit with a can opener", really baffles me and cracks me up at the same time. He's most exciting when somebody gets hurt in fights, i.e. Taylor/Froch, Lopez/Salido.

Those guys at Showtime call the fight straight down the line, and there's hardly any bias. Tarver definitely helps the line-up, because at one point, I didn't like Showtime commentators.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Mar 5 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #6

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I'll take Showtime. While they lack the personality of the HBO guys, they surely are more knowledgeable and far less biased. Al Bernstein is phenomenal in my opinion. I LOVE listening to Antonio Tarver. Farhood isn't bad. I thought Andre Ward actually was phenomenal.

I would like to see Teddy Atlas and Tessitore start doing some bigger fights. They're a pretty good team.

On the HBO side, I think Roy is gr8, although his grammar isn't. He really knows his stuff and you can tell he's a student of the game. Merchant is a total idiot,racist and biased commentator who adds nothing but excruciating analogies and failed attempts at painting mental pictures by trying to mimic styles of some of the gr8 commentators in radio days.Lampley used to be good, but he's gradually become a "good ole boy" and is as biased as Merchant now. I, like many, completely wrote him off after his infamous "Bang Bang Bang Bang" fiasco. If I wanna hear bangs, I'll watch John Witherspoon. "Yeaaaaaaaa BOY"

(IMG:https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1655413119/image.jpg)

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 5 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

Showtime= Gus Johnson, Al Bernstein, and Tarver would blow any HBO combo out of the water. But Gus Johnson is hardly ever used for Showtime boxing anymore. Probably because they dont produce big enough fights.

+Quote Post
Kratza
post Mar 5 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #8

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,360

I used to like HBO alot but it seems they are too bias right now, i think showtime are at the top in commenting at this moment in time

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 6 2012, 05:48 AM
Post #9

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (leonthegee @ Mar 5 2012, 03:34 PM) *
Showtime= Gus Johnson, Al Bernstein, and Tarver would blow any HBO combo out of the water. But Gus Johnson is hardly ever used for Showtime boxing anymore. Probably because they dont produce big enough fights.

+1. Gus Johnson's "over the top" announcing is just what boxing nees, IMO. I like Max Kellerman...that's about it on HBO. Lampley and Merchant can go tackle cars in traffic, as far as I'm concerned.

+Quote Post
iKeNjiro
post Mar 6 2012, 07:40 AM
Post #10

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,431

this was easy for me

Showtime

HBO does a whole lot of side talking
and not enough focusing on the damn fight
Keller is good, that's about it....

side note; I love Teddy Atlas lol he is a beast love to hear him more
also I love UK commentary SkySports

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 06:22 AM