IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO or Showtime Commentators?, Your pick?
mrwigi
post Mar 6 2012, 09:01 AM
Post #11

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,421

I agree with many of you about showtimes lack of enthusiasm in some fights, but they do seem to be less bias. I think HBO should have RJJ, Lennox, and Lampley, or Kellerman commentating most of their fights. You can make a point to sub Max Kellerman in for Jim, but it does seem like Jim's voice belongs at ringside. I could surely do without Larry though.. And don't forget another commentator for HBO, who likes to yell, OK JIM, LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING every three of four rounds.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Mar 6 2012, 09:02 AM
Post #12

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Mar 6 2012, 07:40 AM) *
also I love UK commentary SkySports

I agree. They did a phenomenal job with the Pacquiao vs Marquez fight. Amir Khan was there and I gotta give him his props. He kept it 100 about Manny. He said Marquez outboxed him.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 6 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 5 2012, 10:15 AM) *
I'll take Showtime. While they lack the personality of the HBO guys, they surely are more knowledgeable and far less biased. Al Bernstein is phenomenal in my opinion. I LOVE listening to Antonio Tarver. Farhood isn't bad. I thought Andre Ward actually was phenomenal.

I would like to see Teddy Atlas and Tessitore start doing some bigger fights. They're a pretty good team.

On the HBO side, I think Roy is gr8, although his grammar isn't. He really knows his stuff and you can tell he's a student of the game. Merchant is a total idiot,racist and biased commentator who adds nothing but excruciating analogies and failed attempts at painting mental pictures by trying to mimic styles of some of the gr8 commentators in radio days.Lampley used to be good, but he's gradually become a "good ole boy" and is as biased as Merchant now. I, like many, completely wrote him off after his infamous "Bang Bang Bang Bang" fiasco. If I wanna hear bangs, I'll watch John Witherspoon. "Yeaaaaaaaa BOY"

(IMG:https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1655413119/image.jpg)

Yup, agreed. As you said, the HBO commentators are cooler, but the Showtime guys have a lot of the traits that a good commentator should have. Big up to Teddy Atlas, Saul and Joe Tessitore (Tessitore's the weak link though). As said already, the SKY Sports guys are good too, but I've watched a couple fights, or so, where some of the commentary's inaccurate.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 6 2012, 09:57 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 6 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #14

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 6 2012, 05:48 AM) *
+1. Gus Johnson's "over the top" announcing is just what boxing nees, IMO. I like Max Kellerman...that's about it on HBO. Lampley and Merchant can go tackle cars in traffic, as far as I'm concerned.

"Go tackle cars in traffic"

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Man I swear Gus Johnson grew on me! His "over the top" commentating is hilarious! I remember him in the Taylor/Froch fight..."Taylor...ALL! OVER! FROCH! CAN! OPENER!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I think I almost cried laughing, when he called the Lopez/Salido fight!

QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Mar 6 2012, 07:40 AM) *
also I love UK commentary SkySports

I agree...those dudes may be inaccurate at times, but they are truly exciting!

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 6 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 5 2012, 11:15 AM) *
I'll take Showtime. While they lack the personality of the HBO guys, they surely are more knowledgeable and far less biased. Al Bernstein is phenomenal in my opinion. I LOVE listening to Antonio Tarver. Farhood isn't bad. I thought Andre Ward actually was phenomenal.

I would like to see Teddy Atlas and Tessitore start doing some bigger fights. They're a pretty good team.

On the HBO side, I think Roy is gr8, although his grammar isn't. He really knows his stuff and you can tell he's a student of the game. Merchant is a total idiot,racist and biased commentator who adds nothing but excruciating analogies and failed attempts at painting mental pictures by trying to mimic styles of some of the gr8 commentators in radio days.Lampley used to be good, but he's gradually become a "good ole boy" and is as biased as Merchant now. I, like many, completely wrote him off after his infamous "Bang Bang Bang Bang" fiasco. If I wanna hear bangs, I'll watch John Witherspoon. "Yeaaaaaaaa BOY"

(IMG:https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1655413119/image.jpg)

what he said. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 6 2012, 04:57 PM
Post #16

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Still laughin' at the John Witherspoon pic...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 07:23 AM