IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yuri dropping out of the rios fight???
Cshel86
post Mar 6 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #11

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 6 2012, 12:10 PM) *
arum is gonna make him look like a duck for not jumping two weight classes and fighting a bloated lw

...or Arum will shelf him for showing his ass. He did the same to Donaire, but ended up booking him in a few not-so-pleasing fights. Think about it, how many big fights has Gamboa been in?

So, Arum will keep him and make him suffer by throwing him in there with tomato cans, to kill the rest of the appeal that he has left. Again, if Arum had to choose between Rios and Gamboa...the choice wouldn't be hard.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 6 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

Good for Gamboa. The last minute nature of things is disappointing, but fuck it, if he didn't sign, then too f'ing bad. Obviously TR is going to try some breach of implied contract nonsense, or whatever heathenry (is that even a word) they usually pull.
I hope that Gamboa knows what he's doing because the Bobfather giveth and the Bobfather taketh.
Yuriorkis Gamboa, you are in my prayers my brother. May you be delivered from the clutches of the scribes and the pharisees. Hallelujah!

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 6 2012, 01:10 PM

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Mar 6 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #13

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,282

I wonder whether Golden Boy/Mayweather Promotions would make the same mistake about trying to sign a guy who is under contract with another company. They got burned bad in that Nonito situation, and from what I hear, Gamboa has 2 years left on his deal.

I'm pretty sure I know what's going on.

Floyd has been whispering in Gamboa's ear about how he's being ripped off like a motherfucker because he fights under TR. Gamboa went home, did some thinking, and realized that the only way to hardball negotiate was to say, "I won't sign the contract. I'm not showing up to any dumbass press conference for a fight that isn't even signed."

Gamboa's an excellent fighter and someone who is very, very exciting to watch, regardless of whether you like skills or KO possibilities.

The problem is, he just turned 30 and time is running out. Guys at the lower weight classes don't last into their late 30's like heavyweights do.

Perhaps he's trying to get fired ? I don't think that will work, because TR will simply either keep him on the bench or put him in a tough fight, pay off the judges and get some "split decision loss" bullshit going, to kill off his brand by getting losses on his record, by the time his contract ends.

+Quote Post
pimpfighterROQ
post Mar 6 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #14

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,368

Soo bottom line is that Gamboa is pretty much fucked. But still for not to show up on a press conference at HIS hometown is fucked up. Why dont these guys learn from each others mistakes lol

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Mar 6 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #15

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,282

QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Mar 6 2012, 01:18 PM) *
Soo bottom line is that Gamboa is pretty much fucked. But still for not to show up on a press conference at HIS hometown is fucked up. Why dont these guys learn from each others mistakes lol

Not really. Once again, if he's unhappy about the money he'll be making for this fight, then he has every right to try and play hardball. He needs to stand up to his promoters and put his demands out there in no uncertain terms.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 6 2012, 02:37 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

this is why it is important for fighters to have options when it comes to promoters....

not all promoters can look out for the best interests of all of their fighters. apparently, gamboa has not signed a contract...yet they are trying to force him to promote a fight when he hasn't even agreed to any terms? sound familiar? kelly pavlik dealt with the same shit and all the top rank shills(writers for websites i won't name...) shit on kelly for pulling out. there is no second chance to get it right in boxing. the deal has to be right or there is no fight. i can't fault gamboa in this. he has to look out for his own best interests. arum has plenty of guys lined up to take his spot...gamboa only gets one shot to get it right.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 6 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #17

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Mar 6 2012, 01:50 PM) *
if he's unhappy about the money he'll be making for this fight, then he has every right to try and play hardball. He needs to stand up to his promoters and put his demands out there in no uncertain terms.

Not really...the only time hardball needs to be played is when the contract is up. Other than that, "softball" should be played until the fighter has a choice of whether or not he wants to deal with the promoter anymore.

A game of hardball while still under contract, leads to litigation, unusual incidents with the fighter, a soft ass, and empty pockets if your finances aren't straight. Im not sure that all fighters (especially Gamboa) are able to buy out of their contracts, like some have been fortunate enough to do.

If most of these fighters had money, then there would be no need to be under contract to begin with, so that's reason enough to explain why they cant buy out of their contracts. I have no problem with a fighter speaking up about what they may not fully agree with, but stunts like this never end well.

Be a slave (which the fighter signed up for), but wen your contract is over, find somewhere else to go. The problem that I have with some fighters is that, they come from nothing, sign a contract, let the media and fans amp them up to feel bigger than they really are, then they get this "false sense of entitlement"...all while forgetting that they're still somebody's slave.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 6 2012, 02:37 PM) *
kelly pavlik dealt with the same shit and all the top rank shills(writers for websites i won't name...) shit on kelly for pulling out. there is no second chance to get it right in boxing.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I remember that shitty $50k payday that Pavlik didn't find out until the a day or two before the fight!

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 6 2012, 03:40 PM
Post #18

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 6 2012, 03:18 PM) *
Not really...the only time hardball needs to be played is when the contract is up. Other than that, "softball" should be played until the fighter has a choice of whether or not he wants to deal with the promoter anymore.

A game of hardball while still under contract, leads to litigation, unusual incidents with the fighter, a soft ass, and empty pockets if your finances aren't straight. Im not sure that all fighters (especially Gamboa) are able to buy out of their contracts, like some have been fortunate enough to do.

If most of these fighters had money, then there would be no need to be under contract to begin with, so that's reason enough to explain why they cant buy out of their contracts. I have no problem with a fighter speaking up about what they may not fully agree with, but stunts like this never end well.

Be a slave (which the fighter signed up for), but wen your contract is over, find somewhere else to go. The problem that I have with some fighters is that, they come from nothing, sign a contract, let the media and fans amp them up to feel bigger than they really are, then they get this "false sense of entitlement"...all while forgetting that they're still somebody's slave.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I remember that shitty $50k payday that Pavlik didn't find out until the a day or two before the fight!

I understand your point re. the correct time to negotiate, but if the Bobfather has it in writing then fine he can enforce it, but if Gamboa didn't sign as he claims, then run Kunta, run. I'll be waiting for you in Canada my brother.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 6 2012, 04:46 PM
Post #19

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 6 2012, 03:40 PM) *
I understand your point re. the correct time to negotiate, but if the Bobfather has it in writing then fine he can enforce it, but if Gamboa didn't sign as he claims, then run Kunta, run. I'll be waiting for you in Canada my brother.

Hahaha!!!

Gamboa cant do shit, really. He can keep up the stunts with this fight, and end up on the shelf. Of course he didn't sign the contract for the Rios fight, but the contract that he really shouldn't have signed, was the Trump Rank contact.

So, he better have a decent plan and a good way to clean up this mess he made. Seriously, people were looking forward to this fight, and for him to not show up at the presser was a bigger mess. The fact that Yuri didn't sign, and Bob went on with the press tour anyhow, just goes to show us whose really in control.

What is also uglier, is the fact that he way at Mayweather's gym training. C'mon Yuri, out of all gyms, really? The guy that people love to hate and blame for the biggest fight in history, will also be blamed for robbing us of a good fight between Rios and Gamboa...regardless of the real story (you know how the media gets with Floyd).

Hell, if he was at least training at the Wild Card gym while holding up this press tour, then that would've at least taken the edge off a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Being at the gym of the most hated guy in boxing and publicly say that "they're friends", is even more infuriating to the blind fans out there.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 6 2012, 04:59 PM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 6 2012, 04:18 PM) *

Be a slave (which the fighter signed up for), but wen your contract is over, find somewhere else to go. The problem that I have with some fighters is that, they come from nothing, sign a contract, let the media and fans amp them up to feel bigger than they really are, then they get this "false sense of entitlement"...all while forgetting that they're still somebody's slave. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

i get what ur saying...but i totally disagree with this. contracts get renegotiated all the time. gamboa is not an average fighter. it's apparent someone is in his ear to help him understand his worth. he has every right to make statements. sounds to me like he's willing to fulfill his contract. he's just not laying down for arum. good for him.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 08:16 AM