IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yuri dropping out of the rios fight???
Cshel86
post Mar 7 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #31

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 7 2012, 12:03 PM) *
True that... Only way you escape Arum is to buy yourself out like Oscar and Floyd did. So unless Gamboa got someone fronting up the money for him, I doubt he can. Donaire damn sure couldn't, and I think he definitely looked into it. Maybe that's why Gamboa decided to hit up Floyd, see if he can get something done, sign to Mayweather promotions if they cover his release fee? I dunno, speculating here man, will keep my eyes peeled for any scrap of info...

Was interesting to read that Gamboa is unhappy with that Oner dude too tho, wasn't that the guy who helped get him out of Cuba?

Ha! You may actually be onto something here Slump! Oner could have had something to do with helping Yuri get out of Cuba, or Yuri may have done it the old fashion way...ESCAPE, like a lot of those other guys did in Cuba.

I believe I remember hearing something about Yuri escaping Cuba, back in the Friday Night Fight days when I used to watch him. I could be wrong though, so dont quote me. That may have very well been part of the back story of one of the many Cubans that I've watched on FNF.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 7 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #32

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

"no celebration without litigation" - nice one.

"No emancipation without confrontation"

"No solution without revolution"

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 8 2012, 01:03 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 7 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #33

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 7 2012, 12:35 PM) *
Seems to me like Gamboa is still intending to fight Rios, I mean why go to Vegas and train if you're not intending to fight? I know people are speculating about the Mayweather/Haymon link, but fact is he did do a gym session and at least appears to still be in preperation for the April bout. If what he says about not having a fight contract signed is true, well then he "should" have Arum over a barrel in some sense. Seems to me like his Lawyer believes this to be the case. If Top Rank have all gone and started promoting the bout, spent money etc, then I assume HBO and the various sponsors are expecting to get the headliner they were promised. So if Gamboa isn't happy with the offer he can refuse it (he def has that right). That leaves Arum to either offer more money or maybe renegotiate Gamboa's TR contract giving him what he wants (a release by the sounds of it) to try and get the fight signed off. However the presence of some guy called Abril at the 2nd presser, who then got into a brawl with Rios (which btw SMACKS of staged drama) to set up a plan B if Gamboa continues to play hardball was ominous...

As i said earlier (maybe in another thread) I am not happy that this fight may not happen, was really looking forward to it. However after reading the various articles regarding Arum/Top Rank and the contract situations involving guys like Manny and Pavlik on this site and others, I can understand Gamboa tryna escape. I mean its not like it aint in his nature to try and escape an oppressive regime that stifles your money making potential, lol!

That said, he better be careful, we all saw what happened to Donaire, and more tellingly, Clottey when they crossed Arum...

great post.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 08:24 AM