IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> According to Roach, Manny is Running Out of Opponents. Same for Mayweather?
Cshel86
post Mar 7 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11934.html

Is it that Pacquiao is running out of "profitable opponents'? Is the same happening to Mayweather?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 7 2012, 11:34 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

Couldn't care less re. the saint, but I don't think that in any way applies to Floyd. The WW and lt. middleweight divisions have at least 3 big, big money fights for Floyd. Canelo (as long as he beats Sweet n' Low), Khan (if he beats Peterson), Martinez. Forget the embarassment of riches in the WW division as a whole. Even if Khan and Canelo lose, as I said, the WW division has enough talented and popular enough names that will allow him to do the same numbers as he did against Ortiz.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 8 2012, 09:19 PM

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 7 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

Id say Floyd has more potential opponents than Manny. Floyd can fight anybody at 154 plus Sergio if he decides to move back down. Then theres the WW division. So that means Devin "the dude" Alexander plus the Ortiz/Berto winner.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 7 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Great points guys! The only reason I threw Floyd name in this is because, well...it was gonna come up any damn way! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) No seriously, I brought him up because, yes, without a doubt, he has a few good options left.

Problem is, those guys HAVE to pull off "break out" performances in order for people to even be interested in them fighting him. Floyd is a businessman, and a great promoter (when it comes to his fights), but he does have to have something to work with.

Ortiz for example, had a Fight of the Year performance against an undefeated Berto and became champ...so Floyd worked from there. The other guys that you all mentioned, have to deem themselves worthy of earning a PPV fight, so that somebody at least has a clue who they are.

I was speaking of Alexander in that sense, and Berto has to look nothing less than spectacular against Ortiz and Alexander (if that materializes). Khan on the other hand has the right camp (Ariza, Roach, and Manny), and a nice bit of popularity...but even he has needs to look nothing less than spectacular to clean up that shit that stepped in, in the last Peterson fight.

Canelo is still a bit green (just as Khan is since he stills fights like a fuckin' amateur), but he really needs to stay focused on Mosley. If he happens to get starched by Mosley, then he's already put himself that much further behind.

As for Manny, until he decides to truly step up in competition and fight guys at their natural weight, then his options are limited. He gets a pass for Bradley (I'll come up with a reason why, later on), but after this, HE should step up and say, "I'll fight the winner of Berto/Ortiz".

Both of those guys happened to be promoted and managed by two guys that Bob hates, but this fight would at least make Manny seem as if he's trying to make something happen. Did I leave something out?

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 7 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 7 2012, 12:03 PM) *
Great points guys! The only reason I threw Floyd name in this is because, well...it was gonna come up any damn way! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) No seriously, I brought him up because, yes, without a doubt, he has a few good options left.

Problem is, those guys HAVE to pull off "break out" performances in order for people to even be interested in them fighting him. Floyd is a businessman, and a great promoter (when it comes to his fights), but he does have to have something to work with.

Ortiz for example, had a Fight of the Year performance against an undefeated Berto and became champ...so Floyd worked from there. The other guys that you all mentioned, have to deem themselves worthy of earning a PPV fight, so that somebody at least has a clue who they are.

I was speaking of Alexander in that sense, and Berto has to look nothing less than spectacular against Ortiz and Alexander (if that materializes). Khan on the other hand has the right camp (Ariza, Roach, and Manny), and a nice bit of popularity...but even he has needs to look nothing less than spectacular to clean up that shit that stepped in, in the last Peterson fight.

Canelo is still a bit green (just as Khan is since he stills fights like a fuckin' amateur), but he really needs to stay focused on Mosley. If he happens to get starched by Mosley, then he's already put himself that much further behind.

As for Manny, until he decides to truly step up in competition and fight guys at their natural weight, then his options are limited. He gets a pass for Bradley (I'll come up with a reason why, later on), but after this, HE should step up and say, "I'll fight the winner of Berto/Ortiz".

Both of those guys happened to be promoted and managed by two guys that Bob hates, but this fight would at least make Manny seem as if he's trying to make something happen. Did I leave something out?
True, but all of the guys mentioned in the context of Floyd are getting more well known and are already well known by boxing fans. I'm pretty sure that GBP and Mayweather Promotions already have his next three or four opponents lined up, at least strategically. I'd like to see him retire after that.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 7 2012, 12:17 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 7 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 7 2012, 12:16 PM) *
True, but all of the guys mentioned in the context of Floyd are getting more well known and are already well known by boxing fans. I'm pretty sure that GBP and Mayweather Promotions already have his next three or four opponents lined up, at least strategically. I'd like to see him retire after that.

Yeah I agree, they are becoming more and more known, but one of them needs to have that star studded performance, if they want to be next on the list. As boxing fans, we know them waaaaay before a causal fan, and casual fans need to most convincing when it comes to ordering these fights.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 7 2012, 02:08 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Lots of good ww and jmw under gbp Floyd can fight at legitimate weights. Can't really say the same for pac

+Quote Post
Plah
post Mar 7 2012, 04:51 PM
Post #8

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,629

I see Mayweather vs Canelo in November/December.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 7 2012, 04:57 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 7 2012, 02:08 PM) *
Lots of good ww and jmw under gbp Floyd can fight at legitimate weights. Can't really say the same for pac

+1

QUOTE (Plah @ Mar 7 2012, 04:51 PM) *
I see Mayweather vs Canelo in November/December.

What about the jail time? Not sure he'll have too much time to train. Better yet, Im not even sure he'll do any time...from the way the first attempted "sentencing" went.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 7 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

And as long as he's piling up numbers he won't have a problem reeling in non gbp or tr fighters like berto or Martinez. I'm sure gbp will still co promote with mayweather as always even if that happens

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 01:01 AM