IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> According to Roach, Manny is Running Out of Opponents. Same for Mayweather?
BigFightFan
post Mar 7 2012, 09:16 PM
Post #11

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,604

QUOTE (leonthegee @ Mar 7 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Id say Floyd has more potential opponents than Manny. Floyd can fight anybody at 154 plus Sergio if he decides to move back down. Then theres the WW division. So that means Devin "the dude" Alexander plus the Ortiz/Berto winner.

The Martinez fight is not going to happen plus I think we give him 2 much praise. Martinez is not a top p4p guy in my opinion
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 7 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #12

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Mar 7 2012, 09:16 PM) *
Martinez is not a top p4p guy in my opinion

I can agree with you on that. He's done good with what's been put in front of him.

+Quote Post
Archimedes
post Mar 7 2012, 09:45 PM
Post #13

Amateur

Member No.: 13,487

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 7 2012, 08:20 AM) *
http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11934.html

Is it that Pacquiao is running out of "profitable opponents'? Is the same happening to Mayweather?

Pacquiao isn't running out of anything, he's the window dressing, the blank faced mannequin staring blindly out a department store window as it were. Bob Arum is running out of profitable fighters to feed Manny, and with Mayweather's shadow looming large it's hard to sell a fight when there's only one fight many boxing fans want to see. The intrigue and drama that's grown around this fight is epic. In some ways the fight itself has been eclipsed by the build up. Normally when a fight gathers this much steam it's eventually released by a fight actually materializing, but when the stakes are this high and Bob Arum is involved, it leaves only one possible result = NO FIGHT!

There are only so many named fighters worth the effort at minimal risk, only so many fighters that make the marquee name look good, and only so many fighters to herd off of the cliff like suicidal lemmings.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 7 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #14

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Archimedes @ Mar 7 2012, 09:45 PM) *
Pacquiao isn't running out of anything, he's the window dressing, the blank faced mannequin staring blindly out a department store window as it were. Bob Arum is running out of profitable fighters to feed Manny, and with Mayweather's shadow looming large it's hard to sell a fight when there's only one fight many boxing fans want to see. The intrigue and drama that's grown around this fight is epic. In some ways the fight itself has been eclipsed by the build up. Normally when a fight gathers this much steam it's eventually released by a fight actually materializing, but when the stakes are this high and Bob Arum is involved, it leaves only one possible result = NO FIGHT!

There are only so many named fighters worth the effort at minimal risk, only so many fighters that make the marquee name look good, and only so many fighters to herd off of the cliff like suicidal lemmings.

Good stuff. Im almost curious as to know who Arum can find to feed to Manny. I mean there's somebody out there that's willing to drain weight or try to make a silly catchweight.

+Quote Post
Archimedes
post Mar 7 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #15

Amateur

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 7 2012, 06:54 PM) *
Good stuff. Im almost curious as to know who Arum can find to feed to Manny. I mean there's somebody out there that's willing to drain weight or try to make a silly catchweight.

It gets tricky from here on out I'll admit, if I were Arum I'd focus a PR war on Mayweather when he goes behind bars and count on the blind hatred some feel for Floyd to take over. A segment of Pacquiao's fans have demonstrated time and again that they have no qualms with whom he fights and what condition they’re in. The More Floyd embarrasses himself in the public square the easier it becomes for Arum to sell smoke and mirrors.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 7 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #16

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Archimedes @ Mar 7 2012, 10:06 PM) *
It gets tricky from here on out I'll admit, if I were Arum I'd focus a PR war on Mayweather when he goes behind bars and count on the blind hatred some feel for Floyd to take over. A segment of Pacquiao's fans have demonstrated time and again that they have no qualms with whom he fights and what condition they’re in. The More Floyd embarrasses himself in the public square the easier it becomes for Arum to sell smoke and mirrors.

Well Arum is great at twisting a story, so I see him having success with such matters. Yes, Floyd does make it easy for the public to poke holes in his logic, while they turn a blind eye to Manny's nonsense.

Im not sure how much buzz is left in another Marquez fight, but I dont see many people that he could match up with. Now, if Martinez is willing to kill himself for a payday, then Manny can always entertain that 150 lb catchweight.

+Quote Post
Archimedes
post Mar 7 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #17

Amateur

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 7 2012, 07:23 PM) *
Well Arum is great at twisting a story, so I see him having success with such matters. Yes, Floyd does make it easy for the public to poke holes in his logic, while they turn a blind eye to Manny's nonsense.

Im not sure how much buzz is left in another Marquez fight, but I dont see many people that he could match up with. Now, if Martinez is willing to kill himself for a payday, then Manny can always entertain that 150 lb catchweight.

I'd watch Manny fight both fighters if he would just fight Floyd first.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Mar 8 2012, 12:59 AM
Post #18

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

the floyd/manny fight will never live up to the hype

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Mar 8 2012, 01:31 AM
Post #19

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

Mayweathers most likely fights i think are, either Pac (because at this point after this year they most likely wont fight), but if not that fight later this year then definitely sergio at 154, i can see him saying cotto was a transition. Also at the end of the mosely fight he said he would move up to fight sergio martinez so dont count martinez out at all, most likely fight later this year after pacquaio. As for next year, i can see him fighting canelo on May 5th then retiring......Seems like it would be a good last 2-3 fights for me........mayweather also said he would fight twice this year, and im glad, i really just want May to beat Pac and shut my cousin up, lol unfortunately he is a pactard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) lol (and by that i mean one who thinks Pac is the greatest fighter ever and is a god).

+Quote Post
un01
post Mar 8 2012, 04:54 AM
Post #20

Strawweight

Member No.: 13,229

i dont think Manny is running out of opponents. he can fight Marquez, Rios and maybe even Peterson. Floyd on the other hand is running out of opponents. with Robert "the ghost" Guerrero having been a option for May 5th should of told you that.

most likely floyd will fight canelo next, but after that whos out there? Khan is in rebuilding mode and still has to prove himself at 147.

i dont see the sergio fight happening. hes not that popular casual wise and also ethnic wise with him being argentinian... Floyd also said hes not to big on catchweights and fighters draining themselves.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 08:56 AM