Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best 5 Trash Talkers in Boxing/Best Refs
Allmenjoi8
post Mar 9 2012, 08:21 AM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,125

When it comes to boxing trash is as common as a jab, here is my list of great trash talkers and my favorite ref...

Ali (he birthed Spoken Word poetry) Mayweather (as Chels has pointed out I am Team Mayweather) Vernon Paris (his rant about Zab Judah I became an instant fan) Roy Jones (Yawl must of forgot) James Tony (he is from the D enough said) Prince Naseem Hamed (He was a terrorist in the ring until he fought Barrera)

Favorite Ref, Judge Mills Lane! He was energetic and great at his job. I loved seeing him pull away two heavyweights because he was so small. Judge Mills Lane should give classes to these new "refs." Especially the Firm but Fair guy.

This post has been edited by Allmenjoi8: Mar 9 2012, 02:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 9 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Tyson mainly because he spoke his mind, and his mind when he was young was fairly scary.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 9 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

ali...the greatest! too good! too witty! too prophetic! too on point....sometimes overboard (joe frazier) but he is the guy who laid the foundation for trash talking in boxing.

roberto duran...prelude to guys like mayorga and edison miranda. i forget the guys names...but he fought one guy...then threatened to beat up his brother and father! classic! spit on leonard and his wife in an elevator. he took it to new intimidating levels.

bhop...in his prime very different style of trash talk but very on point and psychological.

toney../reminds me of the shit talkers back home. very crude, very effective.

ricardo mayorga...for his over the top trash talk. how do u top threatening to send someone to the grave with his dead mother!?

honorable mention:

mike tyson...once his skills stopped intimidating ppl his off center trash talk took over. threatening to eat someones children is another hard one to top. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

it's working but it's just not the same:

floyd mayweather...almost comical and hard to watch/listen too. he's never said anything that i thought was funny, insightful or witty....but it seems to do the job by getting under ppls skin.

i guess they have all taken a page from muhammad ali's book in some form or another....but none of them had the wit, intelligence or charisma that ali had. he'll never be topped. he was the full package in and out of the ring. "i'm young and pretty and can't possibly be beat!!!" truly the greatest.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 9 2012, 01:25 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

well am sure manny pacman takes this title (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 9 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

Ricoardo Mayorga was on the TOP of my list! This dude's trash-talking brings the worst out of people! If you can get under De La Hoya's skin enough to make him want to throw a punch, then you've successfully climbed the ranks.

ANYBODY that can make people result to wanting to throw punches before the first bell rings, is nothing short of a genius in the trash-talking department. I remember that scuffle between him and Vargas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Mike Tyson's choice to talk trash was the scariest shit ever. I mean damn, he was already psychologically fucking with guys during staredowns and when they entered the ring...but again, his choice to talk trash was unbearable.

The shit he would say was scary, because of course it was graphic, but the whole idea of knowing that he would do such things...made me uncomfortable as hell. Prison REALLY messed this dude up...

Third on my list is Mayweather Jr. He's a pretty good trash talker, but as Professor said, it makes you cringe because the thought of the "unsaid, but coming down the pipe" choice of words that ultimately damper his image, are always to be considered.

The funniest, and I mean the funniest trash talking that I've seen from him was during the build-up of the De La Hoya fight. Here's a clip that had me in tears when that fight was approaching...

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Mar 9 2012, 02:17 PM
Post #6

Lightweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 9 2012, 02:07 PM) *
ali...the greatest! too good! too witty! too prophetic! too on point....sometimes overboard (joe frazier) but he is the guy who laid the foundation for trash talking in boxing.

roberto duran...prelude to guys like mayorga and edison miranda. i forget the guys names...but he fought one guy...then threatened to beat up his brother and father! classic! spit on leonard and his wife in an elevator. he took it to new intimidating levels.

bhop...in his prime very different style of trash talk but very on point and psychological.

ricardo mayorga...for his over the top trash talk. how do u top threatening to send someone to the grave with his dead mother!?

honorable mention:

mike tyson...once his skills stopped intimidating ppl his off center trash talk took over. threatening to eat someones children is another hard one to top. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

floyd mayweather...almost comical and hard to watch/listen too. he's never said anything that i thought was funny, insightful or witty....but it seems to do the job by getting under ppls skin.

i guess they have all taken a page from muhammad ali's book in some form or another....but none of them had the wit, intelligence or charisma that ali had. he'll never be topped. he was the full package in and out of the ring. "i'm young and pretty and can't possibly be beat!!!" truly the greatest.

Mayorga is crazy for doing that. Too bad if he did that now sport writers would call for his head. Boxing has become "be nice to each other." I dig that, i bet in his press conferences there was no hugging or taking pictures and smiling with his opponent.

I was going to add Iron Mike but I just thought saying "I fuck you until you love me" would be considered over the top. Kudos on you. The eat you kids things was funny. Lennox response was "I don't even have any kids." Funny.

Ali was a student of people and the game. He hung out with Malcolm X matter of fact Malcolm said "how did Ali get the heavyweight title? Not from singing but from swinging!" Loved that. My favorite Ali quote definitely had to be "No Viet Cong ever called me nigger." Hands down besides Carlos Rodgers the best political stance against the Imperial Power.

There is an art to shit talking. Mayweather if he were more articulate of his delivery could be up there. His De la Hoya rants were classic! And Shane Mosley. Good post!!!

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 9 2012, 02:28 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Mar 9 2012, 03:17 PM) *

honorable mention:

Mayorga is crazy for doing that. Too bad if he did that now sport writers would call for his head. Boxing has become "be nice to each other." I dig that, i bet in his press conferences there was no hugging or taking pictures and smiling with his opponent.I was going to add Iron Mike but I just thought saying "I fuck you until you love me" would be considered over the top. Kudos on you. The eat you kids things was funny. Lennox response was "I don't even have any kids." Funny.

Ali was a student of people and the game. He hung out with Malcolm X matter of fact Malcolm said "how did Ali get the heavyweight title? Not from singing but from swinging!" Loved that. My favorite Ali quote definitely had to be "No Viet Cong ever called me nigger." Hands down besides Carlos Rodgers the best political stance against the Imperial Power.
There is an art to shit talking. Mayweather if he were more articulate of his delivery could be up there. His De la Hoya rants were classic! And Shane Mosley. Good post!!!

i thought mayorga beat spinks in that fight...but his comments before hand turned everyone against him. if my memory serves me correctly, the fight was pretty close...but there were knockdowns that weren't counted that should have been.

carlos who??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) no one comes close to ali. period.

thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Mar 9 2012, 02:29 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 9 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 9 2012, 03:13 PM) *
Ricoardo Mayorga was on the TOP of my list! This dude's trash-talking brings the worst out of people! If you can get under De La Hoya's skin enough to make him want to throw a punch, then you've successfully climbed the ranks.

ANYBODY that can make people result to wanting to throw punches before the first bell rings, is nothing short of a genius in the trash-talking department. I remember that scuffle between him and Vargas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Mike Tyson's choice to talk trash was the scariest shit ever. I mean damn, he was already psychologically fucking with guys during staredowns and when they entered the ring...but again, his choice to talk trash was unbearable.

The shit he would say was scary, because of course it was graphic, but the whole idea of knowing that he would do such things...made me uncomfortable as hell. Prison REALLY messed this dude up...

Third on my list is Mayweather Jr. He's a pretty good trash talker, but as Professor said, it makes you cringe because the thought of the "unsaid, but coming down the pipe" choice of words that ultimately damper his image, are always to be considered.

The funniest, and I mean the funniest trash talking that I've seen from him was during the build-up of the De La Hoya fight. Here's a clip that had me in tears when that fight was approaching...

never saw this one. pretty good.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Mar 9 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #9

Lightweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 9 2012, 03:28 PM) *
i thought mayorga beat spinks in that fight...but his comments before hand turned everyone against him. if my memory serves me correctly, the fight was pretty close...but there were knockdowns that weren't counted that should have been.

carlos who??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) no one comes close to ali. period.

thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

During the 1968 Olympics (I think) in Mexico City Carlos Rodgers stood on the podium lifted his arm that was in a black glove and gave the Black Power salute (closed fist basically), to me that was just the shit! That is a poster in Casa de la A. To this day Rodgers can not get a job coaching track.

Mayorga I have to go back in watch because that guy seems like a winner.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 9 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Mar 9 2012, 04:01 PM) *
During the 1968 Olympics (I think) in Mexico City Carlos Rodgers stood on the podium lifted his arm that was in a black glove and gave the Black Power salute (closed fist basically), to me that was just the shit! That is a poster in Casa de la A. To this day Rodgers can not get a job coaching track.

Mayorga I have to go back in watch because that guy seems like a winner.

i know who he is...but that stance was not as big as the one ali took. ali said no to war to the greatest nation on earth. they threatened him with imprisonment, they took his title, his career and the millions that came with it that he lost out on for 3yrs. while i admire the stance carlos rodgers took and the balls it took to make it...i don't think it came close.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 03:25 PM