Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sparring Partners
leonthegee
post Mar 12 2012, 07:40 AM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,401

It seems Floyd Mayweather has brought in undefeated middleweight prospect Omar Henry to his camp as a sparring partner. I think it's a great choice for Floyd. Who will Cotto bring in to his camp to help him get ready for his bigest fight?

My moneys on Stevie Forbes. Stevie grew up with the Mayweathers, and at one point in his carreer, was trained by al three Mayweather trainers. Hes helped other Mayweather opponents get ready to face Mayweather including Victor Ortiz. I know both camps will use multiple sparring partners but Stevie seems like the ideal choice to me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Mar 12 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

If it's true, Omar Henry is a great choice!! The way in which he throws left hook to the body is almost identical to Cotto's. Man I can't wait for the fight to happen!!

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 12 2012, 08:18 AM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Forbes is one of those guys that's good for anybody when it comes to sparring. He may actually be one of those sparring partners that will get sent home after the first day, because Cotto may have a hard time with him (that's just my opinion though).

If I remember correctly, Cotto used Omar Henry to spar with before the Margarito rematch. Yay? Nay? I cant really remember, but I saw a Henry interview and he alluded to it (dont quote me though).

Sidenote: Anybody remember when Khan got hurt in the 10th in the Maidana fight? Im a crowd watcher, and I saw Henry acting "frantically sweet" while reacting to fight. Too funny! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Check it out when you get a chance.

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 12 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #4

Lightweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 12 2012, 05:18 AM) *
Forbes is one of those guys that's good for anybody when it comes to sparring. He may actually be one of those sparring partners that will get sent home after the first day, because Cotto may have a hard time with him (that's just my opinion though).

If I remember correctly, Cotto used Omar Henry to spar with before the Margarito rematch. Yay? Nay? I cant really remember, but I saw a Henry interview and he alluded to it (dont quote me though).

Sidenote: Anybody remember when Khan got hurt in the 10th in the Maidana fight? Im a crowd watcher, and I saw Henry acting "frantically sweet" while reacting to fight. Too funny! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Check it out when you get a chance.

I would normally argree with that but this fight is huge. I was saying on another website that if I were Cotto I would try and get some sparring in with Mosley. Most sparring partners arent in their own training camp so they come in out of shape but Mosley has a fight on the same day so that wont be the case. If Cotto would spend his last couple weeks in Big Bear with Mosley he could get used to the speed and Mosleys punches would be a little more crisper. Plus Cotto provides the size that would Mosley prepare for Canelo.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Mar 12 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (leonthegee @ Mar 12 2012, 09:29 AM) *
I would normally argree with that but this fight is huge. I was saying on another website that if I were Cotto I would try and get some sparring in with Mosley. Most sparring partners arent in their own training camp so they come in out of shape but Mosley has a fight on the same day so that wont be the case. If Cotto would spend his last couple weeks in Big Bear with Mosley he could get used to the speed and Mosleys punches would be a little more crisper. Plus Cotto provides the size that would Mosley prepare for Canelo.

Wouldn't that be a big risk? #1 Because of them could get hurt #2 Because they could be opponents again if Cotto gets whooped.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 12 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (leonthegee @ Mar 12 2012, 09:29 AM) *

That's actually not a bad idea for Cotto to get in a few rounds with Mosley. Besides, he's already fought Shane, and Shane's already fought Mayweather not too long ago. As Franchize said, it may be a bit dangerous for him, but Cotto doesn't need an easy training camp anyway. He needs to master his timing, Im talking about the 2007 Cotto-type timing.

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 12 2012, 10:47 AM) *
Wouldn't that be a big risk? #1 Because of them could get hurt #2 Because they could be opponents again if Cotto gets whooped.

I doubt if they'll ever fight again, but who knows...

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 12 2012, 11:11 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

cotto and mosley may make an interesting sparring session but that could easily end up with one of the fighters injured and them getting carried away

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 12 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 12 2012, 08:11 AM) *
cotto and mosley may make an interesting sparring session but that could easily end up with one of the fighters injured and them getting carried away

I think its low risk. Im not talking about the whole training camp. Im talking about moving up to Big Bear for the last 2 or 3 weeks and get a couple good sparring sessions at about 75%.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 12 2012, 07:44 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

If he were to spar with Mosley, then Im sure he wouldn't go overboard...would probably be too busy trying to work on his timing. Im almost sure Mosley will try to emulate Mayweather if they happen to spar...not like he's never done it before.

+Quote Post
iKeNjiro
post Mar 14 2012, 08:35 AM
Post #10

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,431

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 12 2012, 10:18 PM) *

lol at the bold, how in the world did anyone miss this? hahahahahaha

But ummmm good topic, I can actually see Mosley stopping by Cotto's or Floyd's gym in 24/7 for face time.
Who knows he might do some light training with either of them. (But if he were too, I am sure it would be Cotto)

All in all I would not be surprised to see Mosley in the Cotto gym for some light work.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 05:43 PM