IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boxing's Biggest Saleries And PPV Records!, (A Historical Perspective!)
Cheesey1
post Mar 14 2012, 04:52 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 14 2012, 02:14 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I remember that thread where that bozo was trying to "out research" us, and kept giving us flimsy evidence. Too funny!

This list was great though! I saw that some of those guys that we give a bunch of credit to, didn't really start making bigger money until the latter part of their careers. Fact is, they were headlining PPVs earlier in their careers, and were much more marketable back then, than what what we have today. Now everybody wants to pull the whole "Im undefeated" bullshit, but fail to impress in the ring, let alone, sell tickets.

Oscar was pulling in decent numbers back in the day, and that whopping $30M from the back end money in the Mayweather fight was CRAZY! Shit!

Just to think about it, he kept most, if not all of that money. Funny how guys thought Oscar was keeping all of that money back in the day when they thought he left Arum, but he really left about 2 years before the Mayweather fight, so the Bobfather was still milking the cow.

Those Pacquiao fights at the lower weights, along those Barrera and Morales war would've given me the notion they got over the 500,000 hump with PPV numbers, but maybe it was the packed out arenas that fooled me. Those live gates must have been serious!

Now, the thing that got me was the enormous numbers pulled in for those HW back in the early 90's! Geez! Those guys were making a killing, though Im sure PPVs were damn near $70 back then, or even $50 (just guessing on the $50 part). The HW division reigned for decades, but that Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Gollata (sp), Lewis, era was ridiculous!!!

Yup, funny stuff re. the other thread.
Boxing is a money maker and hopefully it will regain its glory days, this time in a more equitable way for the boxers. Boxing has to be viewed internationally for it to continue to grow. With this sort of money, they can really add some structure and set up some sort of official benefits system for pro. boxers.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 16 2012, 02:23 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 15 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #12

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (flazi @ Mar 14 2012, 12:42 PM) *
Damn Tyson and De la Hoya owned ppv.

Indeed they did!

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 20 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #13

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 14 2012, 12:49 PM) *
Sup Max?

I'll ask my friend what his figures are for that fight.

Jack

My friend Hitman got the list and the source is from "Fat Dan!" LOL!

Jack

According to Dan Rafael:

http://graneyandthepig.wordpress.com/2009/...r-view-numbers/

Pac-Hatton did 850,000 buys, you will note in that same article he quotes Floyd-Hatton at 915,000 which eclipses my figure of 850K and i tend to believe Rafael's quote as I am certain to have read numerous soruces that Floyd-Hatton sold more than Pac-Hatton... as do most of Floyd's fights outsell Pacquiao

+Quote Post
TheHitman
post Mar 21 2012, 09:30 AM
Post #14

Amateur

Member No.: 13,581

Hello Gents,

Another link on Pac-Hatton, and Floyd-Hatton that confirms

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/...ob-arum-refuses

Another Floyd-Hatton and Pac-DLH source:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2009...o-economy_N.htm

+Quote Post
TheHitman
post Mar 21 2012, 09:33 AM
Post #15

Amateur

Member No.: 13,581

Everyone:

Very sadly I didn't keep sources on a lot of this info. However, I would just write down figures into a word document as I came by the information. I tried to backdate a couple sources (hence the Bleacher Report link, lol) but I do stand by all my numbers that they came from a reliable source at the time!

But I want anyone who comes across any corrected numbers through a legitimate source (like i did with Floyd-Hatton) to please let me know in this thread or by PM... because I could be wrong on any of these figures and just want to keep it as accurate as possible.

Also if anyone comes across boxer salary information that would be excellent as well! Cheers mates

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 22 2012, 09:06 AM
Post #16

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 14 2012, 05:52 PM) *
With this sort of money, they can really add some structure and set up some sort of official benefits system for pro. boxers.

You would think they'd lean more towards doing that, but hey, what can we do? I just know that these PPV numbers are wild!

Oh yeah...Welcome Hitman!!! Thanks for the numbers!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 06:07 PM