> Gamboa..., Fuck Gamboa!
pesticid
post Mar 15 2012, 08:32 AM
Post #11

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,865

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 06:40 AM) *
Without knowing the full details, its a bit difficult to comment. However from reading the various articles I think I can see what's going on here... We've heard about Arum pulling this kind of stunt before with Pavlik etc. Top Rank aren't saying that Gamboa's signed any contract, all i've heard/read is that they got an email from Team Gamboa agreeing to the fight in principle, and according to Ben's latest article he apparently accepted a $70k advance on the fight. Now it is not inconcievable to think that the terms Gamboa agreed to in principle didn't turn up on the final contract as he expected. I've read Arum had included a 5 yr promotional contract extension on the fight contract, which effectively gives him control over Gamboa till he's retired, dude's already 30yrs old right? That one detail alone would make me not wanna sign the fight contract. Now obviously Gamboa has tried to talk to Arum/Top Rank in regards to his displeasure with the fight contract sent to him. Instead of negotiating anything with Gamboa, Top Rank just pressed ahead with the promotion, basically trying to force Gamboa to sign a contract that contains terms he is unwilling to agree to. To me that looks a lot like bullying, So Gamby dug his heels in... Considering the fight contract hasn't been signed, I fail to see how Arum can even sue the dude. If the email agreement was binding, why the need for a fight contract? Appears like the agreement was contingent on terms being agreed and contracts being signed. I don't see how Gamboa can be blamed for what looks to me like some shady shit by TR. Yeah he called for the fight, then agreed with his promoter to the fight in principle, accepts an advance, then his promter sent him a contract for the fight he was unhappy with. He has a right to not sign a contract if he's unhappy with it, I highly doubt his Top Rank promtional contract states he HAS to sign any fight contract presented to him by TR. So Yuri takes up his complaint with his promoter, who decides to ignore Yuri's complaints, and press ahead with promoting the fight. Surely if Arum has spent cash and made various deals with HBO, sponsors etc, the onus is on him the promoter to secure the fighters he has promised to these entities. By causing a dispute with one of the fighters by refusing to negotiate terms included on the unsigned fight contract, wouldn't Top Rank be considered "in the wrong"? I dunno man, without further details its hard to really know what's going on or who's right/wrong. I mean if Gamboa accepted an advance, didn't Arum get him to sign anything pertaining to his purse from the fight, if so then why would Gamboa be now unhappy with the amount contained in the fight contract. He's expressed unhappiness with his TR deals before, but he still went and did the fight, so its not like he's ever reneged on a contract he doesn't like before. However this time he has, suggesting to me at least that he obviously feels like he has SOME legal argument.

Oh, and as for Gamboa not being "on point" with his business.. Lets not forget that he is relatively new to the Pro game, and has had to learn shit other fighters learn in the early years in regards to the business side of things. Also when he first escaped Cuba he was in Germany being looked after by this Oner dude, who basically funded Gamboa's "new" life till he started fighting and paying off that "debt". It was this guy whom Gamboa trusted that decided to sign Gamboa with Top Rank, to Gamboa's inexperienced eyes, signing with Top Rank made perfect sense, its only now he knows about the BS involved with them. This explains why Gamboa included Oner in his comments about being unhappy with his promoters.

Lastly, Gamboa may have been in Floyd's gym, but he quite clearly stated that he was just there to train for the Rios fight as it was in Vegas. When questioned about signing with Mayweather promotions, he denied that flat out. His no show at the press conf was due to TR being unwilling to negotiate terms included on the fight contract sent to him. If they had been willing to do that, Yuri would've shown up. Yet all i'm reading is how Gamboa's a douche for not showing up... Personally if I was him, I would've shown up, then used that stage to announce my displeasure with the contract, that i have yet to sign it and if its not resolved then there's no fight. But that's me...

Bottomline, I see folk are pissed about this fight not happening, but I'm still blaming Arum till I see proof that Gamboa signed and agreed to the terms, THEN changed his mind. Up till now, all i've heard is he asked for the fight, agreed to the fight, got sent a poor contract and refused to sign it, asked for it to be changed, got refused. You can say its late in the day, but it seems like TR made it that way imo... This practice of signing fight contracts late in the day makes it so that promoters can build up an event, gauge the estimated revenue THEN send out contracts for what the fighters are gonna make... All well and good, till you have a fighter refuse to sign the paperwork you present. If that's because of a disagreement with the promter and the fighter, well then the onus should be on the promter to at least TRY and sort that out. Instead they just hold the press conference, call Yuri a diva then stage a brawl between Rios and some next randon Cuban guy called Abril... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

Amen brother!

I can't add anything more to it. You summarized everything perfectly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 15 2012, 08:52 AM
Post #12

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 07:40 AM) *
I mean if Gamboa accepted an advance, didn't Arum get him to sign anything pertaining to his purse from the fight, if so then why would Gamboa be now unhappy with the amount contained in the fight contract.

Slumpage, you wrote a lot of stuff, but this part stuck out. The fact that Gamboa has taken an advance is very telling, because as we all know, people dont advances unless they need the money. Not only should he be unhappy with the contract details of this fight, he should be unhappy with himself for managing his money in the manner that he does.

We all wonder why Manny will NEVER leave TR, because this guy has taken several advances from Bob, Im talking millions...especially to support his political venture. So I laughed my ass off at the fact that he said this was going to be his last fight. Of course we saw that story change quickly.

Bottom line is, Yuri's not getting any younger, he still hasn't had a breakout fight in his career, and he's staring litigation in the face. Again, he doesn't have what it takes to dance with the devil (Arum). The same way Arum built him up, he will tear him down twice as fast, and make sure that he doesn't have a pot to piss in.

Oh yeah, for everybody that's saying that they're happy that Gamboa stood up for himself...please! He damn sure picked the picture perfect time to do so...while under contract. Now, had this been his last fight under the TR banner, then he should've taken it, and THEN expressed his displeasure AFTERWARDS, when talks of renewing the contract came up.

Let's wave goodbye to the Cuban fighting machine with no following, while he gets thrown off the TR boat. Rios is Arum's next product, and he actually has a following. If Gamboa did anything in this situation, he only made it easier for Arum to fuck him and put him back on the streets with nothing.

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Mar 15 2012, 07:42 AM) *
Even though the fight was announced I still had a funny feeling about it..

+2

It was too good to be true (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE (Thickback @ Mar 15 2012, 08:20 AM) *
We saw Timothy Bradley pull out of the Khan fight for seemingly the same reason. He was publicly prosecuted but now his move is oaying off. Maybe Gamboa is of the same mindframe Bradley was last year.

The difference is, Bradley didn't sign anything for a Khan fight (that I know of), he simply refused to take the fight. We see how long his litigation lasted...very brief. Though Yuri denied any talks of signing with Mayweather Promotions, Bradley did the same thing when asked about possibly signing with Top Rank.

You're right though, Gamboa is in the same mind frame as Bradley was last year, but the difference is, Timmy had his ducks in a row when he fled. Gamboa is simply going off of emotion and impulses right now. I wish him luck though...

+Quote Post
Slumpage
post Mar 15 2012, 09:49 AM
Post #13

Strawweight

Member No.: 13,226

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 15 2012, 09:52 AM) *
Slumpage, you wrote a lot of stuff, but this part stuck out. The fact that Gamboa has taken an advance is very telling, because as we all know, people dont advances unless they need the money. Not only should he be unhappy with the contract details of this fight, he should be unhappy with himself for managing his money in the manner that he does.

We all wonder why Manny will NEVER leave TR, because this guy has taken several advances from Bob, Im talking millions...especially to support his political venture. So I laughed my ass off at the fact that he said this was going to be his last fight. Of course we saw that story change quickly.

Bottom line is, Yuri's not getting any younger, he still hasn't had a breakout fight in his career, and he's staring litigation in the face. Again, he doesn't have what it takes to dance with the devil (Arum). The same way Arum built him up, he will tear him down twice as fast, and make sure that he doesn't have a pot to piss in.

Oh yeah, for everybody that's saying that they're happy that Gamboa stood up for himself...please! He damn sure picked the picture perfect time to do so...while under contract. Now, had this been his last fight under the TR banner, then he should've taken it, and THEN expressed his displeasure AFTERWARDS, when talks of renewing the contract came up.

Let's wave goodbye to the Cuban fighting machine with no following, while he gets thrown off the TR boat. Rios is Arum's next product, and he actually has a following. If Gamboa did anything in this situation, he only made it easier for Arum to fuck him and put him back on the streets with nothing.

+2

It was too good to be true (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

The difference is, Bradley didn't sign anything for a Khan fight (that I know of), he simply refused to take the fight. We see how long his litigation lasted...very brief. Though Yuri denied any talks of signing with Mayweather Promotions, Bradley did the same thing when asked about possibly signing with Top Rank.

You're right though, Gamboa is in the same mind frame as Bradley was last year, but the difference is, Timmy had his ducks in a row when he fled. Gamboa is simply going off of emotion and impulses right now. I wish him luck though...

Well according to Gamboa's lawyer, he isn't under any contract at the moment?! Saw this on The Ring's website:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/171911-...l-aims-to-fight

Top Rank has retained lawyer David Marroso, who is a senior attorney with the Los Angeles-based O'Melveny and Myers law firm. Marroso's partner, Daniel Petrocelli, gained a wrongful death conviction against O.J. Simpson in 1997."I think that it's a great public relations move by Top Rank," said Gary, who has been contacted by Marroso. Gary is Sekou Gary, Yuri's Laywer btw...

"But I think that the evidence will show that the promotional contract between Gamboa and Top Rank has expired, and that there clearly was never any agreement to fight the Brandon Rios fight. The original promotional contract that Gamboa signed has expired, and then the contract that Top Rank is operating under with Gamboa is not valid."

Seems like Gamboa's being advised by his lawyer at least that he DOES have a legal argument to make... Obviously I don't know WHY he thinks the current contract Gamboa and TR have is "not valid", be interesting to see how this pans out...

As for him getting an advance, we don't know if he requested that. Seems to be standard practice over at TR to advance fighters money, that way you can exercise some control over them when it comes to contract/fight negotiation time... If a dude owes you money, well then he has to do what you say right? However looks like Yuri and his lawyer have other ideas...

This post has been edited by Slumpage: Mar 15 2012, 09:54 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 15 2012, 10:21 AM
Post #14

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Good post. I guess at this point, we have to see what happens. Im wondering how Top Rank can take him to court, but his TR contract has expired. I guess the only evidence that we're waiting on is the stuff about the advance.

I agree with the last few lines about TR giving their fighters advances and using it as some type of control mechanism. That makes sense from a business standpoint, especially if a fighter needs it. So when they take accept the advance...they are TWICE the slave that they were before signing the initial promotional contract.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Mar 15 2012, 12:20 PM
Post #15

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

I live in Canada so Common Law applies in the English speaking part and Civil Law in the French speaking one or Quebec. I believe in the States, Common Law is also used and I remember I took a employment law back in school and according to Common Law - a contract could be a verbal one. So it doesn't have to be set in stone or black on white. To rank could argue that and look at prior precedents, which is what Common Law is based upon. And I am all for Gamboa cause they did similar stuff with Pavlik, which was exposed in the interview that Ben did with them. They low balled Pavlik and he pulled out.

This post has been edited by pesticid: Mar 15 2012, 12:20 PM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 15 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 14 2012, 09:07 PM) *
Shiiiiit, why would Arum be dumb enough to do that? Marquez is one foot out of the door, and dangerous as shit for Rios and for most remaining fighters even at this point of his career.

Rios is one of Arum's next cash cows, and he has a decent following. No need for him to put his cash cow in hot water against an old dangerous JMM.

On point. Arum isn't that stupid.. if marquez almost took out his biggest attraction and best fighter you think he's gonna try that recipe again with one of his more marketable young guys?

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 15 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 10:49 AM) *
Well according to Gamboa's lawyer, he isn't under any contract at the moment?! Saw this on The Ring's website:

Top Rank has retained lawyer David Marroso, who is a senior attorney with the Los Angeles-based O'Melveny and Myers law firm. Marroso's partner, Daniel Petrocelli, gained a wrongful death conviction against O.J. Simpson in 1997."I think that it's a great public relations move by Top Rank," said Gary, who has been contacted by Marroso. Gary is Sekou Gary, Yuri's Laywer btw...

"But I think that the evidence will show that the promotional contract between Gamboa and Top Rank has expired, and that there clearly was never any agreement to fight the Brandon Rios fight. The original promotional contract that Gamboa signed has expired, and then the contract that Top Rank is operating under with Gamboa is not valid."

Seems like Gamboa's being advised by his lawyer at least that he DOES have a legal argument to make... Obviously I don't know WHY he thinks the current contract Gamboa and TR have is "not valid", be interesting to see how this pans out...

As for him getting an advance, we don't know if he requested that. Seems to be standard practice over at TR to advance fighters money, that way you can exercise some control over them when it comes to contract/fight negotiation time... If a dude owes you money, well then he has to do what you say right? However looks like Yuri and his lawyer have other ideas...

Great post, I see Gamboa being out of commission for a little but I think he will get off pretty easily. Especially with another promotion company willing to back him and cover his advance/expenses. Or with someone like haymon arum would probably shit himself, haymon is very good at taking care of the fighters around him.

I've studied some law and this case seems like a toss up. Maybe a little more on gamboas favor though

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 15 2012, 01:46 PM
Post #18

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 07:40 AM) *
Without knowing the full details, its a bit difficult to comment. However from reading the various articles I think I can see what's going on here... We've heard about Arum pulling this kind of stunt before with Pavlik etc. Top Rank aren't saying that Gamboa's signed any contract, all i've heard/read is that they got an email from Team Gamboa agreeing to the fight in principle, and according to Ben's latest article he apparently accepted a $70k advance on the fight. Now it is not inconcievable to think that the terms Gamboa agreed to in principle didn't turn up on the final contract as he expected. I've read Arum had included a 5 yr promotional contract extension on the fight contract, which effectively gives him control over Gamboa till he's retired, dude's already 30yrs old right? That one detail alone would make me not wanna sign the fight contract. Now obviously Gamboa has tried to talk to Arum/Top Rank in regards to his displeasure with the fight contract sent to him. Instead of negotiating anything with Gamboa, Top Rank just pressed ahead with the promotion, basically trying to force Gamboa to sign a contract that contains terms he is unwilling to agree to. To me that looks a lot like bullying, So Gamby dug his heels in... Considering the fight contract hasn't been signed, I fail to see how Arum can even sue the dude. If the email agreement was binding, why the need for a fight contract? Appears like the agreement was contingent on terms being agreed and contracts being signed. I don't see how Gamboa can be blamed for what looks to me like some shady shit by TR. Yeah he called for the fight, then agreed with his promoter to the fight in principle, accepts an advance, then his promter sent him a contract for the fight he was unhappy with. He has a right to not sign a contract if he's unhappy with it, I highly doubt his Top Rank promtional contract states he HAS to sign any fight contract presented to him by TR. So Yuri takes up his complaint with his promoter, who decides to ignore Yuri's complaints, and press ahead with promoting the fight. Surely if Arum has spent cash and made various deals with HBO, sponsors etc, the onus is on him the promoter to secure the fighters he has promised to these entities. By causing a dispute with one of the fighters by refusing to negotiate terms included on the unsigned fight contract, wouldn't Top Rank be considered "in the wrong"? I dunno man, without further details its hard to really know what's going on or who's right/wrong. I mean if Gamboa accepted an advance, didn't Arum get him to sign anything pertaining to his purse from the fight, if so then why would Gamboa be now unhappy with the amount contained in the fight contract. He's expressed unhappiness with his TR deals before, but he still went and did the fight, so its not like he's ever reneged on a contract he doesn't like before. However this time he has, suggesting to me at least that he obviously feels like he has SOME legal argument.

Oh, and as for Gamboa not being "on point" with his business.. Lets not forget that he is relatively new to the Pro game, and has had to learn shit other fighters learn in the early years in regards to the business side of things. Also when he first escaped Cuba he was in Germany being looked after by this Oner dude, who basically funded Gamboa's "new" life till he started fighting and paying off that "debt". It was this guy whom Gamboa trusted that decided to sign Gamboa with Top Rank, to Gamboa's inexperienced eyes, signing with Top Rank made perfect sense, its only now he knows about the BS involved with them. This explains why Gamboa included Oner in his comments about being unhappy with his promoters.

Lastly, Gamboa may have been in Floyd's gym, but he quite clearly stated that he was just there to train for the Rios fight as it was in Vegas. When questioned about signing with Mayweather promotions, he denied that flat out. His no show at the press conf was due to TR being unwilling to negotiate terms included on the fight contract sent to him. If they had been willing to do that, Yuri would've shown up. Yet all i'm reading is how Gamboa's a douche for not showing up... Personally if I was him, I would've shown up, then used that stage to announce my displeasure with the contract, that i have yet to sign it and if its not resolved then there's no fight. But that's me...

Bottomline, I see folk are pissed about this fight not happening, but I'm still blaming Arum till I see proof that Gamboa signed and agreed to the terms, THEN changed his mind. Up till now, all i've heard is he asked for the fight, agreed to the fight, got sent a poor contract and refused to sign it, asked for it to be changed, got refused. You can say its late in the day, but it seems like TR made it that way imo... This practice of signing fight contracts late in the day makes it so that promoters can build up an event, gauge the estimated revenue THEN send out contracts for what the fighters are gonna make... All well and good, till you have a fighter refuse to sign the paperwork you present. If that's because of a disagreement with the promter and the fighter, well then the onus should be on the promter to at least TRY and sort that out. Instead they just hold the press conference, call Yuri a diva then stage a brawl between Rios and some next randon Cuban guy called Abril... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

Exactly!
QUOTE (Thickback @ Mar 15 2012, 08:20 AM) *
Typical Top Rank BS. How can you say fuck you to Gamboa without knowing the full story. TR has a history of issues with their fighters so how can you look at one side of this? If Gamboa breached his contract, then he deserves the consequences, but for TR to base their law suit on rival promotional companies advising him to breach his contract is plain petty. What proof do they have of such claims? We saw Timothy Bradley pull out of the Khan fight for seemingly the same reason. He was publicly prosecuted but now his move is oaying off. Maybe Gamboa is of the same mindframe Bradley was last year.

Pretty much.

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 10:49 AM) *

Great post.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 15 2012, 04:46 PM
Post #19

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 15 2012, 09:52 AM) *

Correct, Bradley didn't sign anything...also, what makes this different from Bradley's situation is, his former promotor, contractually, was obligated to get him a fight by a certain DATE. His promoter got him a fight, but it was later than what was detailed. He opted to exercise his right to decry a breach in contract. Granted, it was a "technicality", but a valid reason, nonetheless. Obviously, this was strategic on Bradley's part, which makes it ironic, that Arum & Co. are suggesting "unknown promoters" are behind this and suing Gamboa over this. It's a case of, do as I say, not as I do.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 15 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 06:40 AM) *

best post i've seen on the matter yet.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 11:02 PM