> Gamboa..., Fuck Gamboa!
daprofessor
post Mar 15 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #21

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 09:49 AM) *
Well according to Gamboa's lawyer, he isn't under any contract at the moment?! Saw this on The Ring's website:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/171911-...l-aims-to-fight

Top Rank has retained lawyer David Marroso, who is a senior attorney with the Los Angeles-based O'Melveny and Myers law firm. Marroso's partner, Daniel Petrocelli, gained a wrongful death conviction against O.J. Simpson in 1997."I think that it's a great public relations move by Top Rank," said Gary, who has been contacted by Marroso. Gary is Sekou Gary, Yuri's Laywer btw...

"But I think that the evidence will show that the promotional contract between Gamboa and Top Rank has expired, and that there clearly was never any agreement to fight the Brandon Rios fight. The original promotional contract that Gamboa signed has expired, and then the contract that Top Rank is operating under with Gamboa is not valid."

Seems like Gamboa's being advised by his lawyer at least that he DOES have a legal argument to make... Obviously I don't know WHY he thinks the current contract Gamboa and TR have is "not valid", be interesting to see how this pans out...

As for him getting an advance, we don't know if he requested that. Seems to be standard practice over at TR to advance fighters money, that way you can exercise some control over them when it comes to contract/fight negotiation time... If a dude owes you money, well then he has to do what you say right? However looks like Yuri and his lawyer have other ideas...

wow. great move by gamboa if this is true and it would explain toprank trying to throw him to the wolves...and then subsequently throwing him under the bus for refusing to sign the contract. i wish nothing but the best to gamboa who is only looking out for his own best interest. it is clear to me bob doesn't give a shit about any of his fighters nor boxing for that matter. fuck bob.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 15 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #22

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 15 2012, 10:21 AM) *
Good post. I guess at this point, we have to see what happens. Im wondering how Top Rank can take him to court, but his TR contract has expired. I guess the only evidence that we're waiting on is the stuff about the advance.

I agree with the last few lines about TR giving their fighters advances and using it as some type of control mechanism. That makes sense from a business standpoint, especially if a fighter needs it. So when they take accept the advance...they are TWICE the slave that they were before signing the initial promotional contract.

advances can be paid back. if all slumpage is saying is true...it looks very good for gamboa.

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Mar 15 2012, 06:06 PM
Post #23

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 14 2012, 09:07 PM) *
Shiiiiit, why would Arum be dumb enough to do that? Marquez is one foot out of the door, and dangerous as shit for Rios and for most remaining fighters even at this point of his career.

Rios is one of Arum's next cash cows, and he has a decent following. No need for him to put his cash cow in hot water against an old dangerous JMM.

Marquez maybe old and still dangerous but he has yet faced an opponent who constantly puts pressure on him lately and willingly fight in the inside. Rios is a good inside fighter and has a good chin on him. The man has iron will and the heart the size of Japan. Then again this is JMM who we're talking bout.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 15 2012, 06:21 PM
Post #24

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 15 2012, 06:03 PM) *
advances can be paid back.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ask Manny how long that takes! Seriously, why take an advance, if your stuff is in order already? If it's only $70k and his contract has expired, then he should be okay. Now if he takes those Pacquiao advances (consecutive cases of millions), then he may be stuck. I highly doubt that's the case though.

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Mar 15 2012, 07:06 PM) *
Marquez maybe old and still dangerous but he has yet faced an opponent who constantly puts pressure on him lately and willingly fight in the inside. Rios is a good inside fighter and has a good chin on him. The man has iron will and the heart the size of Japan. Then again this is JMM who we're talking bout.

What about Juan Diaz? Marquez has fought Manny 3 times and held his own w/o losing his marbles or staring retirement in the face. Has Rios fought a JMM-type fighter? Almost everyone that Rios has fought, either had skill and no pop, pop and no skill, or a little bit of both with no mental toughness.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Mar 15 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #25

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 15 2012, 06:21 PM) *

Ask Manny how long that takes! Seriously, why take an advance, if your stuff is in order already? If it's only $70k and his contract has expired, then he should be okay. Now if he takes those Pacquiao advances (consecutive cases of millions), then he may be stuck. I highly doubt that's the case though.

What about Juan Diaz? Marquez has fought Manny 3 times and held his own w/o losing his marbles or staring retirement in the face. Has Rios fought a JMM-type fighter? Almost everyone that Rios has fought, either had skill and no pop, pop and no skill, or a little bit of both with no mental toughness.

True! What JMM would do to Rios is what JMM does to everyone without a lot of skill and speed. Undress them and kill them.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 16 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #26

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 15 2012, 06:21 PM) *

true dat...but pac stayed put. gamboa wants out. there's a chance his next promoter squares things up by paying back the advance if need be. 70k is a small price to pay for a fighter of gamboa's caliber.

i agree about juan diaz. at least diaz was capable of switching game plans. i've only seen rios fight one way. jmm eats him up in similar fashion.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 16 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #27

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

This only improved my opinion of Gamboa. If there's no signed contract, then it's an implied contract which is by no means a slam dunk to prove. Even with the advance, not sure if that's going to accepted as automatic proof of a contract being in place, but as with everything, time will tell.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 16 2012, 02:51 PM

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Mar 16 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #28

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 11,536

I made a post in this thread earlier today in which I argued some people were being too hasty to put it all on Gamboa while giving Bob Arum/Top Rank an undeserved pass. I also added stuff to the effect that Gamboa's case/side of the story was probably being underrated. Immediately following my post was a post by Slumpage in which he complained that his posts were missing, and that it took him quite a while to compose that stuff.

As it has now turned out, those [posts I presume were the] previously missing posts by Slumpage - which have all turned out to be excellent in my view - together with other comments, have now surfaced. However, my own post, along with Slumpage's post in which he complained about his own missing posts, are now missing. Is this thread experiencing a technical hitch or being messed up?

Whatever the case is, I am glad I'm getting to read Slumpage's well reasoned posts.

P34c3

This post has been edited by duwdu: Mar 16 2012, 03:02 PM

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Mar 16 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #29

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 11,536

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 16 2012, 03:50 PM) *
This only improved my opinion of Gamboa. If there's no signed contract, then it's an implied contract which is by no means a slam dunk to prove. Even with the advance, not sure if that's going to accepted as automatic proof of a contract being in place, but as with everything, time will tell.

Right. And like Slumpage already postulated, if mere verbal or informal agreements would be so binding, why bother about contracts? Something is definitely fishy about this lawsuit by TR. I also pointed out in my [currently] missing post that this lawsuit could be more about TR wanting to show they're not a promotional wimp, as well as serve warnings to their other fighters and save face, than it is about TR trying to re-coup any losses.

P34c3

+Quote Post
thehype
post Mar 16 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #30

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (duwdu @ Mar 16 2012, 04:01 PM) *
I made a post in this thread earlier today in which I argued some people were being too hasty to put it all on Gamboa while giving Bob Arum/Top Rank an undeserved pass. I also added stuff to the effect that Gamboa's case/side of the story was probably being underrated. Immediately following my post was a post by Slumpage in which he complained that his posts were missing, and that it took him quite a while to compose that stuff.

As it has now turned out, those [posts I presume were the] previously missing posts by Slumpage - which have all turned out to be excellent in my view - together with other comments, have now surfaced. However, my own post, along with Slumpage's post in which he complained about his own missing posts, are now missing. Is this thread experiencing a technical hitch or being messed up?

Whatever the case is, I am glad I'm getting to read Slumpage's well reasoned posts.

P34c3

Um...yeah...just FYI, I actually just picked up the entire site and moved it from one server to a new server. Our previous hosting company was starting to have way too many issues for my taste, so I moved to a much more stable one. I made a backup of the database, but there may have been a few posts lost in the shuffle depending on when they were made because it took a little while for the DNS to resolve. Sorry about that.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 07:11 AM