Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gamboa..., Fuck Gamboa!
thehype
post Mar 16 2012, 03:27 PM
Post #31

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

And by the way, just to add to the thread, from what I'm hearing, Gamboa supposedly communicated via email that he was okay with the fight so long as the money is right...I'm guessing that the email is the "document" that Top Rank is referring to when they keep saying he agreed to the fight. Not really sure what that means as far as the case is concerned though.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Mar 16 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #32

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,536

QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 16 2012, 04:21 PM) *
Um...yeah...just FYI, I actually just picked up the entire site and moved it from one server to a new server. Our previous hosting company was starting to have way too many issues for my taste, so I moved to a much more stable one. I made a backup of the database, but there may have been a few posts lost in the shuffle depending on when they were made because it took a little while for the DNS to resolve. Sorry about that.

Now well understood Hype; all the best with the new host.

P34c3

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 16 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #33

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (duwdu @ Mar 16 2012, 03:01 PM) *
I made a post in this thread earlier today in which I argued some people were being too hasty to put it all on Gamboa while giving Bob Arum/Top Rank an undeserved pass. I also added stuff to the effect that Gamboa's case/side of the story was probably being underrated. Immediately following my post was a post by Slumpage in which he complained that his posts were missing, and that it took him quite a while to compose that stuff.

As it has now turned out, those [posts I presume were the] previously missing posts by Slumpage - which have all turned out to be excellent in my view - together with other comments, have now surfaced. However, my own post, along with Slumpage's post in which he complained about his own missing posts, are now missing. Is this thread experiencing a technical hitch or being messed up?

Whatever the case is, I am glad I'm getting to read Slumpage's well reasoned posts.

P34c3

please don't tell me we have a gestapo here like some other forums not worth mentioning.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 16 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #34

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 16 2012, 03:21 PM) *
Um...yeah...just FYI, I actually just picked up the entire site and moved it from one server to a new server. Our previous hosting company was starting to have way too many issues for my taste, so I moved to a much more stable one. I made a backup of the database, but there may have been a few posts lost in the shuffle depending on when they were made because it took a little while for the DNS to resolve. Sorry about that.

cool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Mar 16 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #35

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

Fuck all the out of the ring soap opera shit, i'm simply pissed this fight won't happen soon smh

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Mar 17 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #36

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 11,536

Well, newly published on the front page is a Top Rank press release about what will now be on the April 14 card: a split venue event to be co-headlined by JMM (in Mexico) and Rios (in Vegas). The card also features the exciting Alvarado.

I'm not sure if I buy this opponent for JMM though.

Here's the link to the front page story: http://fighthype.com/pages/content12005.html

P34c3

This post has been edited by duwdu: Mar 17 2012, 03:15 PM

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 17 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #37

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 07:40 AM) *
Without knowing the full details, its a bit difficult to comment. However from reading the various articles I think I can see what's going on here... We've heard about Arum pulling this kind of stunt before with Pavlik etc. Top Rank aren't saying that Gamboa's signed any contract, all i've heard/read is that they got an email from Team Gamboa agreeing to the fight in principle, and according to Ben's latest article he apparently accepted a $70k advance on the fight. Now it is not inconcievable to think that the terms Gamboa agreed to in principle didn't turn up on the final contract as he expected. I've read Arum had included a 5 yr promotional contract extension on the fight contract, which effectively gives him control over Gamboa till he's retired, dude's already 30yrs old right? That one detail alone would make me not wanna sign the fight contract. Now obviously Gamboa has tried to talk to Arum/Top Rank in regards to his displeasure with the fight contract sent to him. Instead of negotiating anything with Gamboa, Top Rank just pressed ahead with the promotion, basically trying to force Gamboa to sign a contract that contains terms he is unwilling to agree to. To me that looks a lot like bullying, So Gamby dug his heels in... Considering the fight contract hasn't been signed, I fail to see how Arum can even sue the dude. If the email agreement was binding, why the need for a fight contract? Appears like the agreement was contingent on terms being agreed and contracts being signed. I don't see how Gamboa can be blamed for what looks to me like some shady shit by TR. Yeah he called for the fight, then agreed with his promoter to the fight in principle, accepts an advance, then his promter sent him a contract for the fight he was unhappy with. He has a right to not sign a contract if he's unhappy with it, I highly doubt his Top Rank promtional contract states he HAS to sign any fight contract presented to him by TR. So Yuri takes up his complaint with his promoter, who decides to ignore Yuri's complaints, and press ahead with promoting the fight. Surely if Arum has spent cash and made various deals with HBO, sponsors etc, the onus is on him the promoter to secure the fighters he has promised to these entities. By causing a dispute with one of the fighters by refusing to negotiate terms included on the unsigned fight contract, wouldn't Top Rank be considered "in the wrong"? I dunno man, without further details its hard to really know what's going on or who's right/wrong. I mean if Gamboa accepted an advance, didn't Arum get him to sign anything pertaining to his purse from the fight, if so then why would Gamboa be now unhappy with the amount contained in the fight contract. He's expressed unhappiness with his TR deals before, but he still went and did the fight, so its not like he's ever reneged on a contract he doesn't like before. However this time he has, suggesting to me at least that he obviously feels like he has SOME legal argument.

Oh, and as for Gamboa not being "on point" with his business.. Lets not forget that he is relatively new to the Pro game, and has had to learn shit other fighters learn in the early years in regards to the business side of things. Also when he first escaped Cuba he was in Germany being looked after by this Oner dude, who basically funded Gamboa's "new" life till he started fighting and paying off that "debt". It was this guy whom Gamboa trusted that decided to sign Gamboa with Top Rank, to Gamboa's inexperienced eyes, signing with Top Rank made perfect sense, its only now he knows about the BS involved with them. This explains why Gamboa included Oner in his comments about being unhappy with his promoters.

Lastly, Gamboa may have been in Floyd's gym, but he quite clearly stated that he was just there to train for the Rios fight as it was in Vegas. When questioned about signing with Mayweather promotions, he denied that flat out. His no show at the press conf was due to TR being unwilling to negotiate terms included on the fight contract sent to him. If they had been willing to do that, Yuri would've shown up. Yet all i'm reading is how Gamboa's a douche for not showing up... Personally if I was him, I would've shown up, then used that stage to announce my displeasure with the contract, that i have yet to sign it and if its not resolved then there's no fight. But that's me...

Bottomline, I see folk are pissed about this fight not happening, but I'm still blaming Arum till I see proof that Gamboa signed and agreed to the terms, THEN changed his mind. Up till now, all i've heard is he asked for the fight, agreed to the fight, got sent a poor contract and refused to sign it, asked for it to be changed, got refused. You can say its late in the day, but it seems like TR made it that way imo... This practice of signing fight contracts late in the day makes it so that promoters can build up an event, gauge the estimated revenue THEN send out contracts for what the fighters are gonna make... All well and good, till you have a fighter refuse to sign the paperwork you present. If that's because of a disagreement with the promter and the fighter, well then the onus should be on the promter to at least TRY and sort that out. Instead they just hold the press conference, call Yuri a diva then stage a brawl between Rios and some next randon Cuban guy called Abril... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

Agreed.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 17 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #38

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (duwdu @ Mar 16 2012, 04:19 PM) *
Right. And like Slumpage already postulated, if mere verbal or informal agreements would be so binding, why bother about contracts? Something is definitely fishy about this lawsuit by TR. I also pointed out in my [currently] missing post that this lawsuit could be more about TR wanting to show they're not a promotional wimp, as well as serve warnings to their other fighters and save face, than it is about TR trying to re-coup any losses.

P34c3

TR and the Bobfather, redefining the word "fishy" for the email age.

+Quote Post
Slumpage
post Mar 21 2012, 05:53 AM
Post #39

Strawweight

Member No.: 13,226

Seems like Arum tried to slip another contract extension into a fight contract, going by the front page article regarding Chavez Jr.

Clearly a pattern emerging here....

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 21 2012, 08:18 AM
Post #40

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 16 2012, 08:56 PM) *
Fuck all the out of the ring soap opera shit, i'm simply pissed this fight won't happen soon smh

Surely you didn't believe this fight was gonna happen in the first place. I mean seriously, they even made an announcement of the upcoming fights on HBO, and mentioned Gamboa/Rios.

EVEN THEN, it was still too good to be true. You can hear in Lampley's voice, that he lacked faith in the fight happening while announcing it (before the Alexander/Maidana fight began)...there was NO enthusiasm in his voice whatsoever.

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 21 2012, 06:53 AM) *
Seems like Arum tried to slip another contract extension into a fight contract, going by the front page article regarding Chavez Jr.

Clearly a pattern emerging here....

Open a thread for this...HUUUUURRY!!!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 06:35 AM