IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@10PM(ET)/7PM(PT)-Martinez vs. Macklin-SPOILERS 15 Mins. Later, No Duplicate Threads, New Spoilers, or Public Streams
mrchitown
post Mar 17 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #41

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

Got home from the Bulls game and turned to the fight and the first thing I see is Martinez get knocked down. From what I did see Macklin was performing well against Martinez. I'm going to have to watch it in it's entirety to accurately give a definitive opinion but I liked the way Martinez closed the show but it did seem as if the fatigue of Macklin played a part in the fight

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Mar 17 2012, 11:26 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sduck
post Mar 17 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #42

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Don't get me wrong, I like Sergio. I like watching his fights, but I just don't understand it. All the praise and elitism towards him. He's overrated to me. Not THAT good. I see way too many flaws with this guy, I see many fighters that can beat him. And the fact that people think he'll give Floyd Mayweather a very tough fight is just funny to me. I've even seen people compare Martinez to Roy Jones Jr, now that's hilarious.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 17 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #43

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 18 2012, 12:13 AM) *
JCC looked like garbage to me against Zbik (that's how you spell it?) but his boxing style aint bad, and it will give Martinz problems. As long as you box Martinez, he'll get confused and can't throw his signature straight hand combos.

The same fight you all just watched, where mysteriously to your eyes Martinez had full control of the fight. Macklin was actually giving Martinez a hell of fight, he was getting hit with jabs, but was dodging a lot of power shots, and was landing solid punches of his own. The fight was neck and neck until Macklin's stamina just died after scoring that knockdown.

Personally, I think many score fights via "comparative" rounds. Meaning, a fighter does better than one expects, so dude gets that round. I think, no, I KNOW Macklin won a few rounds, but he was NEVER ahead in that fight. Moreover, he didn't give Serg "hell", he was competitive. He came to fight and that's good. However, to label Martinez as garbage, IMO, is unfounded. The ONLY way JCC, Jr. gives Martinez problems is if he channels his inner John Ruiz, jab and clinch on the way in. I'm telling you, Jr. is gonna walk into counter right hands like that was his game plan.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 17 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #44

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 18 2012, 12:27 AM) *
I've even seen people compare Martinez to Roy Jones Jr, now that's hilarious.

Well, there you go. Clearly, you were in the wrong place, while talking boxing.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Mar 17 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #45

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 17 2012, 11:32 PM) *
Personally, I think many score fights via "comparative" rounds. Meaning, a fighter does better than one expects, so dude gets that round. I think, no, I KNOW Macklin won a few rounds, but he was NEVER ahead in that fight. Moreover, he didn't give Serg "hell", he was competitive. He came to fight and that's good. However, to label Martinez as garbage, IMO, is unfounded. The ONLY way JCC, Jr. gives Martinez problems is if he channels his inner John Ruiz, jab and clinch on the way in. I'm telling you, Jr. is gonna walk into counter right hands like that was his game plan.

I think you all giving Martinez too much credit in this fight, we just viewed them differently I guess. That fight was neck and neck to me and at no point did I see Martinez control the fight until the end when Macklin just gave up. He looked confused and frustrated to me throughout most of the fight. And I watched it in HD too. I don't think Martinez is garbage. He's a good fighter. He's just not this elite amazing fighter to me, that for some reason many people got wrapped in their heads. Just because he can knock out a dumb fighter like Paul Williams only means just that. Against people who box, Barker and Macklin, he looked sub-par to elite level to me. And when you want to compare him to people like Floyd Mayweather, which many people think will be some sort of "true test" for Floyd (which I strongly disagree. I'd put my life on it and say Martinez will get destroyed by Floyd if they ever fought, that's how confident I am in that.)

The thing with me is, it's just Martinez style and his performance. He's clearly not good at adjusting to boxing styles, and we all know who's the best in the game at that. He fights defensive, likes to put his hands down, and he's not doing it like Floyd to trick his opponent, he's just fightin stupid. He gets hit way too much, especially against these SLOW fighters. He's decent at countering, especially with the jab, but he won't know how to adjust to Floyd's countering, trust me. It's going to be like Mosley, one-dimensional, will get figured-out and will look stupid for the rest of the fight not knowing what to do. I'm not gonna try to change anyone's opinion, come the fight, IF they fight, I'll say I told you so lol.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 18 2012, 12:21 AM
Post #46

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 18 2012, 12:32 AM) *

+1.. seriously I gave him maybe three rounds. And I counted the kd round as 9-9 because I thought serg was winning the round and that it was a trip.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 18 2012, 01:53 AM
Post #47

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

Macklin tested Martinez, but all he did was bring out the true Champion in Martinez. Good fight!

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 18 2012, 06:49 AM
Post #48

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

it seems that he outdid Macklin in stamina, or maybe it was his general high work rate, followed by his classic rounds off, maybe he'd do a lot better than we see if he trains to fight for the entire 12 rounds? I want to see someone with enough stamina and a good enough chin to last with him 12 rounds, am not so sure about Pirog because I haven't seen him fight, but two fighters that are always amazingly conditioned are Pacquiao and Mayweather, and there chins have been tested, well Pacquiao has, Mayweather doesn't let his get tested, a fight at 154 would be something nice since Martinez did come in at 158lb. i mean the mans 37, am sure he wants an exit strategy and a fight with either of these two would guarantee that, Mayweather more than Pacquiao since am sure he'd get a bigger slice of the pie than The Bobfather is willing to give out, a fight with ward would be just too stupid. he'd give up weight and height to the best super middleweight in the world. a fight with Pirog just wouldn't generate that much money? and realistically he cant fight the new European middleweight champion because he's not in the same league.

+Quote Post
fightscoreollect...
post Mar 18 2012, 09:26 AM
Post #49

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,394

how did yous all have the fight at the time of stoppage?

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 18 2012, 10:09 AM
Post #50

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

I scored it 107-99. Martinez was consistently accurate and put on the pressure at the end of the round in which he was knocked down, so I also made that a 9-9 round. Martinez was pacing himself and while I would have liked to have seen him throw more jabs and be a bit more orthodox, he thoroughly beat up Macklin.

Also, to my eyes, Martinez went over because Macklin's leg/thigh was in the way. If it wasn't there, Martinez would've rolled/moved his feet with the punch and not gone down. He wasn't hurt at all.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 18 2012, 12:54 PM

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 04:43 PM