IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez or Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao [Poll & Added Question]]
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez or Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao
Which fight interests you the most?
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao [ 10 ] ** [37.04%]
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez [ 17 ] ** [62.96%]
Total Votes: 27
Guests cannot vote 
Gambit808
post Mar 19 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

1. Also, Which of the 2 has a better chance of beating Floyd?
2. Which fight do you think happens 1st?
3. Do you think jumping up and down in weight to get these fights at this stage in Floyd's career spell doom for him the way it did for Roy Jones?

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Mar 19 2012, 12:54 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 19 2012, 01:04 PM
Post #2

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 19 2012, 01:51 PM) *
1. Also, Which of the 2 has a better chance of beating Floyd?
2. Which fight do you think happens 1st?
3. Do you think jumping up and down in weight to get these fights at this stage in Floyd's career spell doom for him the way it did for Roy Jones?

1. Martinez has the better chance of beatin' Floyd, but only at 154. Anything below 154 nullifies/eliminates the "threat" that Martinez carries. Personally, I think it'd be suicide. As far as Pacquiao goes, sure he has a chance of beatin' Floyd, but only a puncher's chance. That's it!

2.Definitely the Martinez fight.

3.Nah, not at all. Floyd has preserved himself pretty well throughout the course of his career, which comes in handy when you're jumpin' weight classes. In this case, self-preservation is his biggest asset.

This post has been edited by BoxingFan86: Mar 19 2012, 01:08 PM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 19 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

1. Martinez has the better chance to win. He shows the ability to adjust while manny doesn't. And I actually think he has the better corner also.

2. Just because of the fact that arum is on mannys side I see the Martinez fight happening first.

3. I don't think so. Roy was jumping a lot of weight classes. But to jump to 154 right after being on a prison diet could spell disaster. But I think his body is well built for 147 and small 154 pounders. The bigger worry would probably be, how does Martinez react to fighting at 150 or 154.

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 19 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

I see Serg v Floyd happening first and I also give Serg the better chance of winning. But I still see Serg having only a 20% chance of really winning the fight. I think Serg's best quality is his movement. I dont think Serg has the creative arsenal to beat a complete fighter like Floyd. Serg is basically jab straight left hand. I dont see any right or left hooks or any body punching what so ever.

Take all of the foot stomping out of the fight and I didnt see Macklin all that hurt. The knockout came more from fatigue and I dont see Floyd fading late in the fight. I know Serg is an undersized MW but at his age how easy can he make 154? And this fights most likely taking place a year from now. His last fight at 154 was 3 years ago and he wasnt really that great then. I give Serg a punchers chance but Floyd protects his chin like Tigers protect their young. I think Floyd beats Serg easily.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Mar 19 2012, 01:16 PM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 19 2012, 01:04 PM) *
1. Martinez has the better chance of beatin' Floyd, but only at 154. Anything below 154 eliminates the "threat" that Martinez carries. Personally, I think it'd be suicide. As far as Pacquiao goes, sure he has a chance of beatin' Floyd, but only a puncher's chance. That's it!

2.Definitely the Martinez fight.

3.Nah, not at all. Floyd's has preserved himself pretty well throughout the course of his career, which comes in handy when you're jumpin' weight classes. In this case, self-preservation is his biggest asset.

You have a good point @BoxingFan86, but correct me if i'm wrong by saying that Roy Jones was pretty self preserved throughout his career before the Tarver fight right?

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 19 2012, 01:25 PM
Post #6

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 19 2012, 02:16 PM) *
You have a good point @BoxingFan86, but correct me if i'm wrong by saying that Roy Jones was pretty self preserved throughout his career before the Tarver fight right?

Nah, not really. Roy was too active.

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 19 2012, 01:27 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 19 2012, 10:16 AM) *

The jump between HW and LHW is 30lbs. But I agree I dont like fighters jumping in and out of weight classes either. Even for Floyd. As a fan of Floyd I would much rather him campagn now at 154 than go jumping back and forth between 154 and 147. Unless it's to fight Manny.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Mar 19 2012, 01:51 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 19 2012, 01:10 PM) *
1. Martinez has the better chance to win. He shows the ability to adjust while manny doesn't. And I actually think he has the better corner also.

2. Just because of the fact that arum is on mannys side I see the Martinez fight happening first.

3. I don't think so. Roy was jumping a lot of weight classes. But to jump to 154 right after being on a prison diet could spell disaster. But I think his body is well built for 147 and small 154 pounders. The bigger worry would probably be, how does Martinez react to fighting at 150 or 154.

Arum just wants control of that event (Mayweather vs. Pacquiao) in it's entirety. I just don't understand how with that much money to make is not enough to agree on smh.

Great point, I'm wondering what weight class Floyd will fight at after his prison term is over 47 or 54... but knowing his back round I'm sure it'll be what ever makes the most dollars & sense.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Mar 19 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (leonthegee @ Mar 19 2012, 01:27 PM) *
The jump between HW and LHW is 30lbs. But I agree I dont like fighters jumping in and out of weight classes either. Even for Floyd. As a fan of Floyd I would much rather him campagn now at 154 than go jumping back and forth between 154 and 147. Unless it's to fight Manny.

I know Pacquiao better get his shit together before Floyd decide to stay at 54 and have it play a factor in the next time they negotiate.

+Quote Post
CauzinRuckus
post Mar 19 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #10

Amateur

Member No.: 13,566

1. niether can beat floyd but martinez will have a better chance . simply becuase pac is 1 dimensional and can't fight of the back foot. Martinez wants u to attack him cuz he can fight backing up. but his style with the hands down wouldn't fly, if macklin was able to get box him and make him adjust floyd would easily beat him. i was impressed wit martinez's will to win and steppin up after the knockdown .

2.being that floyd will beat cotto and become a title-holder in the 154 class martinez will have the right to push for this fight since he fights so close to that wait. Plus 80/20 is wat martinez will offer. Dat smells like $$ so he will have floyds attention.

3.i've seen people say i wont matter but it will , roy jones was preserved very well, wen he decided to jump weights that was his doom. he fought often but he wasn't gettin hit. Floyd is the same way we haven't seen him get hit with hard shots alot so we dont kno if his chin is glass or a diamond. his conditioning will help him shake off punches like mosely hit him with, but he was hurt no ? i think his solid home is 147 but not enough big names at 154 to stay there.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 07:43 AM