IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez or Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao [Poll & Added Question]]
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez or Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao
Which fight interests you the most?
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao [ 10 ] ** [37.04%]
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez [ 17 ] ** [62.96%]
Total Votes: 27
Guests cannot vote 
Cshel86
post Mar 19 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #21

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (CauzinRuckus @ Mar 19 2012, 02:56 PM) *
niether can beat floyd but martinez will have a better chance .

I agree.

QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 19 2012, 03:09 PM) *
Can someone make a video about Sergio Martinez 'adjusting'? Because I really don't see it. I just see a guy taking advantage over other fighter's mistakes such like stamina or stupid fightin, not really adjusting.

Muthafreakin' +1!!! THANK YOU! I have YET to see Sergio make these "adjustments" during fights. Luckily for him, his opponents tire because of his constant movement and ability to counter punch...not because he counter punches at will (not true), but the shit happens to land flush after so many attempts.

So yes, his opponents give him their best shot in the middle rounds because they feel themselves wearing down, and he (Martinez) tends to get stuck in the mud in the middle rounds, for some odd reason.

Seriously, Sergio leaves himself open for punches as well...straight punches to be exact. Does anybody notice that he gets hit more than he should, and it usually happens during exchanges? I saw soooo many opportunities for Macklin to catch Sergio with some good shots, and guess where those openings were? Yep you got it, straight up the middle.

Guess who likes to throws punches straight up the middle? Yep you got it...Mayweather himself. Let's look for Martinez to be the bigger man if they fight at 54, but guess what punch Floyd will lnad if nothing else lands...yep, you got it...that straight right hand.

Sergio DOES NOT adjust as great as people give him credit for. He's so used to being first, that it's crazy. When guys like Dzinrurik (sp) and Barker can land shots on Sergio, then look for Mayweather to land those same shots with confidence, precision, and a better follow-up other than the usual, "Oh shit, I landed a punch against Martinez" moments that Sergio's opponents have.

Im not saying that this will be a grand walk in the park for Floyd, but picture this, who has Martinez fought with speed, great defense, who lands precise punches...even if he only throws a handful? Another thing...when those straight right comes flying in, will Sergio be left fighting with an unusually high sense of defense, or will get peppered and wonder why he cant stop getting caught with the same punch?

Oh yeah, though Mayweather insinuated a Martinez fight (I believe he did, cant remember), just look for it to happen at 54. I wouldn't hold my breath any time soon, especially since the Cotto fight hasn't happened. Mayweather may have fought for the Jr. Middleweight title, but he's never tipped 154 on the scale. He more than likely wont for the Cotto fight, and the same goes for the Martinez fight. So let's look for Floyd to be a WW and Martinez to hit 154 on the head.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 19 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #22

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Thickback @ Mar 19 2012, 05:00 PM) *
1) Martinez definitely has the better chance at winning.

1) Floyd said he would fight martinez already so this fight can easily be made.

3) Roy was suckered into fighting Tarver when he was thinking of bowing out of the game once he won the HW title. He then had to lose a ridiculous amount of muscle to make weight to fight Tarver. Floyd gradually moved from 130-154 and stays in crazy shape. He will be fine. He just can't take any flush straight rights from Martinez. I think Martinez has enough power to hurt Mayweather, IF he can land at all.

Lefts

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Mar 19 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #23

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

1.I think Martinez fairs better. In one of the macklin fight interviews Martinez states he likes challenges and I believe him. I've noticed he goofs off until his opponent gives him a reason to fight, then you can tell there is something above par in Martinez.

It takes present danger for Martinez to throw and I think the same applies to Mayweather.

I also think Mayweather is pretty well fine tuned to fight rush-in, bullheaded fighters. Martinez presents a different challenge. He'd be a bigger man with power who will try to think throughout the fight and land counters. Martinez could present Mayweather with what Mosley should have.

Speaking of Mosley, I think this fight could be potentially reminiscent of Mosley-Mayweather if Martinez finds Mayweather is too fast. Then he'd probably freeze up and get too focused on out-feinting.

2. Hard to say...

3. I don't think so. It wouldn't surprise me if a bigger frame is to his advantage now that he is getting older (by boxing standards). His weight has probably increased throughout the years, not uncommon for men. But, there is a chance it could be dangerous. The De La Hoya fight, for me, made Mayweather really rely on his feet and stifle his punch output. Some of the Ortiz blows appeared to really shock Mayweather, too. So there is some evidence suggesting Mayweather is more vulnerable at the higher weight.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Mar 19 2012, 09:01 PM
Post #24

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

Floyd would be the favourite against Sergio, but it will be a tough one. Floyd has never faced anybody quite like Martinez.
Nobody poses more of a challenge to Floyd than Martinez and vice versa. The only two things Floyd has over Sergio is boxing IQ and defense everything else is even money or in favour of Martinez.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 19 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 19 2012, 03:09 PM) *
Can someone make a video about Sergio Martinez 'adjusting'? Because I really don't see it. I just see a guy taking advantage over other fighter's mistakes such like stamina or stupid fightin, not really adjusting.

Agreed. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it this way. Sergio Martinez is pretty much a one-dimensional fighter who can't make adjustments, especially to boxing styles. And when you put a one-dimensional fighter against a technician like Floyd, that's easy work. Unless they got a chin and pressure dedication like Oscar or Castillo, then it's pretty much easy.

QUOTE (karmine20 @ Mar 19 2012, 04:40 PM) *
Not to mention the fool fights with his hand down to his knees. No way in hell he will be able to conduct that same approach against FLOYD. He fights EVERYONE with his hands to his knees. NO WAY JOSE. NOT GONNA FLY. Either he takes a more respectable aproach or he will be another WIN in floyds Column

Do either of you guys box by any chance?.. Jw

The gamplan was smart but he did show adjustments to answer your question.
He started planting at a wider stance when leading with his straight and shooting it a little further left so he could land cleanly. Also he began throwing left uppercuts when macklin was coming in (one almost put him down, partly due to balance). Not to mention the wider stance with his lead foot helped him avoid another "kd" (trip) as the fight went on. Also he started following up his straight with a sort of power jab that had some steam on it. Eventually the circling effective jab and lead straights fatigued and broke macklin down to set up the kds and force the stoppage from the corner.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 19 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #26

Super Middleweight

Btw Martinez fights with his hands down when he gets comfortable enough to provoke his opponent to throw. In the pwill fights he hardly did it if at all. To call it stupid is an opinion because many boxers have used it successfully. I agree he should probably not do it against Floyd which he probably wouldn't, mayweather has done this many times as well.

This post has been edited by checkleft: Mar 19 2012, 11:33 PM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 19 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #27

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (wolterb @ Mar 19 2012, 06:51 PM) *
1.I think Martinez fairs better. In one of the macklin fight interviews Martinez states he likes challenges and I believe him. I've noticed he goofs off until his opponent gives him a reason to fight, then you can tell there is something above par in Martinez.

It takes present danger for Martinez to throw and I think the same applies to Mayweather.

I also think Mayweather is pretty well fine tuned to fight rush-in, bullheaded fighters. Martinez presents a different challenge. He'd be a bigger man with power who will try to think throughout the fight and land counters. Martinez could present Mayweather with what Mosley should have.

Speaking of Mosley, I think this fight could be potentially reminiscent of Mosley-Mayweather if Martinez finds Mayweather is too fast. Then he'd probably freeze up and get too focused on out-feinting.

2. Hard to say...

3. I don't think so. It wouldn't surprise me if a bigger frame is to his advantage now that he is getting older (by boxing standards). His weight has probably increased throughout the years, not uncommon for men. But, there is a chance it could be dangerous. The De La Hoya fight, for me, made Mayweather really rely on his feet and stifle his punch output. Some of the Ortiz blows appeared to really shock Mayweather, too. So there is some evidence suggesting Mayweather is more vulnerable at the higher weight.

+1 great post especially about Martinez reaction to mayweathers speed.

+Quote Post
Thickback
post Mar 20 2012, 07:34 AM
Post #28

Strawweight

Member No.: 12,355

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 19 2012, 05:37 PM) *
Lefts

Thanks....

+Quote Post
karmine20
post Mar 20 2012, 08:35 AM
Post #29

Amateur

Member No.: 13,403

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 20 2012, 12:29 AM) *
Btw Martinez fights with his hands down when he gets comfortable enough to provoke his opponent to throw. In the pwill fights he hardly did it if at all. To call it stupid is an opinion because many boxers have used it successfully. I agree he should probably not do it against Floyd which he probably wouldn't, mayweather has done this many times as well.

Point taken and point well made.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 20 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #30

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 20 2012, 12:29 AM) *

This is true, but in a sport where 1 punch can end it all, or 1 mistake can cost you (dearly), it's highly unacceptable... especially when "my" money is on the line. I be bettin' on these guys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 02:44 PM