IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez or Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao [Poll & Added Question]]
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez or Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao
Which fight interests you the most?
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao [ 10 ] ** [37.04%]
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Sergio Martinez [ 17 ] ** [62.96%]
Total Votes: 27
Guests cannot vote 
Cshel86
post Mar 20 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #31

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I agree with the point about him fighting with his hands down to provoke his opponent into throwing, and Im sure he wont attempt such a thing in a high profile fight. With that said, I cant really picture Sergio being on the defensive end of a fight.

I was also laughed at how the HBO commentators were saying that he wasn't fighting like the champion of the world. Really? I agree that he isn't a top P4P fighter, but he is still the champ (in a sense).

Seriously, the way that some guys fight, separates them from the rest...that's why only a few fighters are recognized as true champions. Merchant always looks for a Gatti/Ward fight, Steward just cant stop fuckin' fantasizing about Tommy Hearns, and Lampley was being his usual "nuthuggerish" self...searching for a basic Freddie Roach type fighter...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 20 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #32

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

I don't understand why hbo puts commentators who continually talk bad about their product.. to me mayweather and Martinez are definitely both top 3 p4p closely followed by Andre ward. And these guys can't seem to say a good thing about them. It's ridiculous, no wonder ward sticks to showtime. They show so much respect to the fighters and actually call them on their bullshit instead of just talking down on them. I mean if it wasn't for the fighters they would be out of the job.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 20 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #33

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 20 2012, 01:16 PM) *
I don't understand why hbo puts commentators who continually talk bad about their product.. to me mayweather and Martinez are definitely both top 3 p4p closely followed by Andre ward. And these guys can't seem to say a good thing about them. It's ridiculous, no wonder ward sticks to showtime. They show so much respect to the fighters and actually call them on their bullshit instead of just talking down on them. I mean if it wasn't for the fighters they would be out of the job.

You have a valid argument there, Sir. Great point!

+Quote Post
sduck
post Mar 20 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #34

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 20 2012, 12:25 AM) *
Do either of you guys box by any chance?.. Jw

The gamplan was smart but he did show adjustments to answer your question.
He started planting at a wider stance when leading with his straight and shooting it a little further left so he could land cleanly. Also he began throwing left uppercuts when macklin was coming in (one almost put him down, partly due to balance). Not to mention the wider stance with his lead foot helped him avoid another "kd" (trip) as the fight went on. Also he started following up his straight with a sort of power jab that had some steam on it. Eventually the circling effective jab and lead straights fatigued and broke macklin down to set up the kds and force the stoppage from the corner.

I was going to answer, but what would it matter if someone boxed or not?

I don't see this as adjusting. What I saw was Sergio trying to land jab, straight left, and was able to land the left uppercut when he or Macklin rushed in. It became easier for him to land as Macklin continuously fatigued, then to the point where Macklin burned out and had no defense (after he scored the KD on Sergio). It was a problem with Macklin's conditioning, Sergio wasn't breaking him down. It was actually the same with the Barker fight.

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 20 2012, 12:29 AM) *
Btw Martinez fights with his hands down when he gets comfortable enough to provoke his opponent to throw. In the pwill fights he hardly did it if at all. To call it stupid is an opinion because many boxers have used it successfully. I agree he should probably not do it against Floyd which he probably wouldn't, mayweather has done this many times as well.

I would agree with that assessment if I actually saw him baiting his opponent to counter, which he isn't doing. He's just showing off. Mayweather would do it to bait his opponent to lead first so he can typically counter with a straight right. He did a lot against Marquez. Sergio is rarely baiting and countering when he does this, he's like I said... showing off. He probably didn't do it against Paul Williams, because Williams has a high punch output, and Sergio isn't that dumb to keep his hands down when someone is tagging you 24/7.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 20 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #35

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Being in the ring as opposed to just observing is a world of difference.

Thinking he just gassed is ignorant. In the ring taking nearly two hundred jabs to the face would MAKE anyone get tired. But I'm just giving my two cents as someone who has observed and then felt the difference in the ring. And those adjustments I described might seem small but in the ring they make a world of difference.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 20 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #36

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i won't consider any of these fights until floyd and manny handle the business at hand. both will have their hands full. i think pac is getting upset by bradley...plus his recent talk of retirement....the writing is on the wall.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Mar 21 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #37

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

1. Martinez has the better chance of beating Floyd. Floyd is definitely a better skilled fighter than Manny and Sergio for sure, but 154 is 154. DiBella can say all he wants, Sergio walks around at about 170-175. He looks as big or bigger than Ortiz did, plus he's fast.

2. I actually think the Pacquiao fight gets made 1st. I think the excuses have been exhausted, and while I'm sure Arum will come up with more, I think people are gradually beginning to open their eyes. The people that were spreading the Bob Arum propaganda (lex. ESPN) are starting to wisen up and say "hey wait a minute." I think when Floyd gets outta jail, Manny's camp finally says "fuck it, let's just get this over with."

3. I don't think the weight will kill Floyd as it did Roy for two reasons. #1 Roy leaped cruiser and to fight heavyweights and then came back down. Floyd is really only going from 147 to 154. #2 Floyd doesn't bulk up really to fight these guys nor does he drain himself to make 147. He walks around at about 150 and will probably fight Cotto at about 150. I doubt Floyd is going to gain weight to get to 154.

BTW, I voted for Pacquiao vs Mayweather. While it's become a circus and annoying, I still want to see the fight. Furthermore, I think anyone who fights Floyd and Floyd himself will be done a disservice if this fight doesn't happen. Floyd could fight Vitali and some people would say "but you didn't fight Manny." Also, I think it will eliminate a huge population of ignorant, casual fans (mainly Pactards) that help enable Bob Arum. The Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight needs to happen for so much more than just a good matchup. It brings attention back to the sweet science and also breaks up the monopoly Arum is trying to create.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 21 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #38

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 20 2012, 12:29 AM) *
Btw Martinez fights with his hands down when he gets comfortable enough to provoke his opponent to throw. In the pwill fights he hardly did it if at all. To call it stupid is an opinion because many boxers have used it successfully. I agree he should probably not do it against Floyd which he probably wouldn't, mayweather has done this many times as well.

Yup and agreed that he has shown that he can box in a more orthodox manner i.e. hands up.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 21 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #39

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (wolterb @ Mar 19 2012, 06:51 PM) *
1.I think Martinez fairs better. In one of the macklin fight interviews Martinez states he likes challenges and I believe him. I've noticed he goofs off until his opponent gives him a reason to fight, then you can tell there is something above par in Martinez.

It takes present danger for Martinez to throw and I think the same applies to Mayweather.

I also think Mayweather is pretty well fine tuned to fight rush-in, bullheaded fighters. Martinez presents a different challenge. He'd be a bigger man with power who will try to think throughout the fight and land counters. Martinez could present Mayweather with what Mosley should have.

Speaking of Mosley, I think this fight could be potentially reminiscent of Mosley-Mayweather if Martinez finds Mayweather is too fast. Then he'd probably freeze up and get too focused on out-feinting.

2. Hard to say...

3. I don't think so. It wouldn't surprise me if a bigger frame is to his advantage now that he is getting older (by boxing standards). His weight has probably increased throughout the years, not uncommon for men. But, there is a chance it could be dangerous. The De La Hoya fight, for me, made Mayweather really rely on his feet and stifle his punch output. Some of the Ortiz blows appeared to really shock Mayweather, too. So there is some evidence suggesting Mayweather is more vulnerable at the higher weight.

Agreed. Just to clarify and as you are saying, I don't think that Martinez beats Mayweather, but he's got a decent chance.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Mar 21 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #40

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

I would rather see Martinez vs. Floyd simply because this is the closest I will ever get to see a Roy Jones Mayweather type of match up. Martinez is the poor man's Roy Jones If Martinez is had the defense of Roy than I would give the match to Martinez but since Martinez is so easy to hit I would say Mayweather hits the ground running. Martinez is a slow started and no way Mayweather leaves himself open to get knocked out in the later rounds, He will be so far ahead of point he will probably cruise from rounds 9 through 12. I would say either 9-3 fight or 8-4.

Pac vs. Mayweather would have been great 3 years ago I have lost interest and besides this fight would be a boxing lesson. Mayweather will shut both Pacquiao's eyes and I think Pac would get wild in the fight which spells knock down and I think the ref would stop it. Now Pacquiao does have a punchers chance but again I don't know which Pac will show up.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 06:53 AM