IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Martinez Have Been Asking For a Mosley Fight a While Back?
Cshel86
post Mar 19 2012, 09:56 PM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I dont know what you guys think, but had Sergio pushed for a Mosley fight at 54 before Shane fought boring ass Mora, then maybe he would've had a bigger name on his resume to build a Mayweather fight.

I mean, I know that Sergio had just beaten Pavlik for the MW title months before that, but it would've done Mosley some good to fight Sergio, rather than have a dull ass fight against a boring fighter.

With that said, Martinez could've done a Pacquiao number, and fought Mayweather's leftovers (in a sense), and used his name to build his reputation. Had he fought Mosley and possibly knocked him out (or beat him better than Mayweather), then he could've had an argument.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 19 2012, 11:51 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

Man he probably would have killed that guy. Mosley can't handle speed or moving up in weight

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 20 2012, 07:44 AM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 20 2012, 12:51 AM) *
Man he probably would have killed that guy. Mosley can't handle speed or moving up in weight

Mosley presents speed and timing against his opponents, and sometimes they get thrown off. Im trying to remember the last "quick" fighter that Sergio fought. He may have been able to give Mosley a fight, but Im not sure he would've killed him.

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 20 2012, 09:27 AM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

At 154 Sergio wasnt this great all time fighter. He wasnt fighting the best guys in the division. No Kirklands, Cory Spinks, or any of the other champions. His biggest fight was against Kermit Cintron (even though he got robbed of the desicion) and he wasnt even great then. There was nothing great about Martinez at that point in his carreer.

Then he moves up and beats Kelly Pavlik, Paul Williams, and a few other bums so that puts him in Mayweathers class? Hes the king of a weak division and I understand him wanting to cash out at his age but the rest of you guys should be ashamed of yourselfs. This is the Pacquiao bullshit all over again. In fact this is worse because at least Pacquiao had done more to deserve the hype (overhype depends on your point of veiw). The Mayweather haters are already moving off Pacquiao and getting behind this guy. Hysterical if you ask me.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Mar 20 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #5

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

QUOTE (leonthegee @ Mar 20 2012, 09:27 AM) *
At 154 Sergio wasnt this great all time fighter. He wasnt fighting the best guys in the division. No Kirklands, Cory Spinks, or any of the other champions. His biggest fight was against Kermit Cintron (even though he got robbed of the desicion) and he wasnt even great then. There was nothing great about Martinez at that point in his carreer.

Then he moves up and beats Kelly Pavlik, Paul Williams, and a few other bums so that puts him in Mayweathers class? Hes the king of a weak division and I understand him wanting to cash out at his age but the rest of you guys should be ashamed of yourselfs. This is the Pacquiao bullshit all over again. In fact this is worse because at least Pacquiao had done more to deserve the hype (overhype depends on your point of veiw). The Mayweather haters are already moving off Pacquiao and getting behind this guy. Hysterical if you ask me.

Damn, hating full speed, aren't we?

So who did Mayweather beat at WW?

This post has been edited by pesticid: Mar 20 2012, 09:48 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 20 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (leonthegee @ Mar 20 2012, 10:27 AM) *

To a certain degree, I agree with you. I dont believe that Sergio is this top P4P fighter either. Im guessing that the only avenue of consolation is, a Martinez/Mayweather fight, since nobody seems to really give a shit a Pacquio fight anymore.

Since Mayweather recently agreed to move up to 154 for a Cotto fight (which Im sure he wont hit 154 on the head), a Martinez fight seems to be closer than it was about 6-12 months ago.

Now, I brought up a Mosley/Martinez bout, just to support Sergio's push for a Mayweather fight at the present time. Right now, Im more interested in discussing why a Martinez/Mosley would've done some good for the both of them.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 20 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 20 2012, 03:06 PM) *
Since Mayweather recently agreed to move up to 154 for a Cotto fight (which Im sure he wont hit 154 on the head), a Martinez fight seems to be closer than it was about 6-12 months ago.

But in reality its Mayweather, which means he's not fighting until he knows he's won, am pretty sure there's going to be some sort of excuse to why he's not going to fight Martinez, probably cause it doesn't make money so it doesn't make sense, or his never ending stream of bullshit instead of the answers he's supposed to give when people ask him a question. I mean will he fight a strong established light middleweight? Doubtful, he'll probably fight Alvarez next due to his lack of experience and punching power. I mean the 154 division is literally a dead division, it's just a platform till fighters move onto the middleweight division. Who else is he going to generate any sort of money with in that division? Apart from Martinez.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 20 2012, 03:28 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (pesticid @ Mar 20 2012, 09:47 AM) *
Damn, hating full speed, aren't we?

So who did Mayweather beat at WW?

Exactly to say one thing about Martinez would be saying the same about mayweather.

Mosley cannot hang with guys with good timing. Remember the cotto fight? And Martinez hits harder and faster.

As far as the Cintron fight goes he literally kod him then they started the fight over. They were really trying to push that kid

And to call Pavlic and Williams bums is ridiculous

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 20 2012, 05:35 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 19 2012, 10:56 PM) *
I dont know what you guys think, but had Sergio pushed for a Mosley fight at 54 before Shane fought boring ass Mora, then maybe he would've had a bigger name on his resume to build a Mayweather fight.

I mean, I know that Sergio had just beaten Pavlik for the MW title months before that, but it would've done Mosley some good to fight Sergio, rather than have a dull ass fight against a boring fighter.

With that said, Martinez could've done a Pacquiao number, and fought Mayweather's leftovers (in a sense), and used his name to build his reputation. Had he fought Mosley and possibly knocked him out (or beat him better than Mayweather), then he could've had an argument.

Thoughts?

Yup, that would've definitely helped Martinez' rep. If they had made the match, I would've picked him against the Mosley that ended up perfecting the "spastic two step shuffle with no punch thrown" against Mora.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 20 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Goodness do I hate mora lol

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 09:26 AM