IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Biggest Pet Peeves in Boxing..., Name 'em...
Cshel86
post Mar 21 2012, 09:16 AM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

It's evident that we are all big fans of the sport and we spend much our time reading and viewing what goes on in and out of the ring. We've all mentioned several times what we love about the sport, and our expectations, but the higher powers to be, have plans other than what the fan wants/pays for.

With that said, name some of the things that simply grinds your gears, when it comes to the sport...whether it's how things are done, what's being said, fighting styles, etc.

Name 'em!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrwigi
post Mar 21 2012, 09:36 AM
Post #2

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,421

You know what really grinds my gears..... Catch weights for titles. Whats the point of having a weight division if someone can come along and fight for a title that doesn't belong to that weight division. For instance, pac making cotto fight below the limit that he won the title at.

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 21 2012, 10:09 AM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

You know it's the business end of boxing. I understand it but it frustrates me. To many people other than the boxers getting rich off the sport. With companies like TR and GBP theres 1 or 2 fighters making the majority of the revenue for the whole company. So I understand why promoters try and get everything they can from the fighters. But I still dont like it.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 21 2012, 11:10 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

boxers that talk the talk but can't walk the walk. it might be good self promotion but when you do fuck all for 12 rounds and show your toe on national television its just embarrassing

also the fact that so many fighters don't have solid fundamentals at an elite level is just a sham to the sport. They rely on the athletic ability and it kinda doesn't feel like boxing really.

This post has been edited by mgrover: Mar 21 2012, 11:16 AM

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 21 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

Agreed with all of them (haha, except that I won't be so harsh on David Haye...).

If I had to pick, I'd pick the catch weights and unfair nature where promoters make a killing while we still hear of some professional boxers (not amateurs) ending up as paupers, or resorting to a second, or third job to survive.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 21 2012, 11:29 AM

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 21 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #6

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (mrwigi @ Mar 21 2012, 10:36 AM) *
You know what really grinds my gears..... Catch weights for titles. Whats the point of having a weight division if someone can come along and fight for a title that doesn't belong to that weight division. For instance, pac making cotto fight below the limit that he won the title at.
As far as my biggest pet peeve(s) goes, this is definitely #1 for me. #2, is when fighters fight with their hands down or when fighters get too cocky and show-boat at the wrong time. Am I the only person that was happy when Nate Campbell got knocked da fuck out by Peden? He deserved to be on the receivin' end of that KO, 100%. If you missed it, here it is...

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 21 2012, 12:10 PM) *
boxers that talk the talk but can't walk the walk. it might be good self promotion but when you do fuck all for 12 rounds and show your toe on national television its just embarrassing

also the fact that so many fighters don't have solid fundamentals at an elite level is just a sham to the sport. They rely on the athletic ability and it kinda doesn't feel like boxing really.

Why did I immediately think of David Haye... BEFORE YOU MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT A TOE? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by BoxingFan86: Mar 21 2012, 12:02 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 21 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

1. Fighters that suddenly have the utmost confidence in athletic commission testing, when another fighter requests for them to undergo extra testing.

2. When true champs are stripped of their titles, and it's given to another fighter with a slew of soft touches on his upcoming schedule.

3. Fighters that cant sell out an elementary school gym, but beg for a huge paydays.

4. Underweight fighters that cry, "I can make that weight to fight _____, because I walk around at about __ lbs between fights".

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 21 2012, 01:36 PM
Post #8

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

Bob Arum and his smoke screens are at the top of my list, too.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 21 2012, 04:41 PM
Post #9

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

P4P lists and us idiots who argue them w/ the passion in which the Crusades were fought. I mean, who cares if your fighter is mythically superior/inferior to another? I mean, really?

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 21 2012, 06:21 PM
Post #10

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

My pet peeves in boxing.

1.) Catch weights for titles and excessive weight gain for titles. What's next a 160lb Middleweight champion or contender ballooning up to 190lbs? I understand the original abolishment of same-day weigh ins was to help with boxers dehydration issues. However, now the excessive weight gain is causing a problem just as dangerous where fighters may be swallowing punches too big for them.

2.) Promoter Monopolies in Boxing and Network Monopolies in Boxing: No promoter wants to take his fighter outside his own stable nowadays, especially Arum. This prevents many fights from happening and it results in the promoters using the same guys over and over for their cash cows. Aren't we fans tired of the Mosley, Cotto, Margarito "The Cheato" train, and Arum defending this fucked up system?

3.) Too many titles in boxing. The WBA's Superchampion bullshit, the WBC's Diamond Belt, Silver Belt. I actually found out that the Diamond belt is commemorative only, there are no rules or sanctioning fees with it. It's given to the winner of a fight between two fighters who usually fight outside of their weight class in a big fight where both are well known. The Silver Title is given to the winner of elimination fights. If you hold the WBC Silver, you are supposed to be the mandatory challenger for the world championship. Sanctioning fees are collected for the Silver Belt. But still too many. It wouldn't be so bad if the big four, (WBC, WBA, IBF, and WBO) did elimination and round robin bouts with each others champions all the time. Than a superbowl of boxing could be created.

4.) The WBC protecting of Julio Chavez Jr, just because he is Julio's kid. Stripping Martinez just to give his kid a title fight against an unknown (Zibik). Sulaiman blaming Arum for Chavez-Martinez not happening. They are both at fault. Chavez Jr. is only a contender until he beats Sergio, and I don't think he can, but it will be a much better fight than people think.

5.) The WBC's 4th and 8th round Open Scoring: Trying to get commissions to approve a PROVEN FAILED SYSTEM for the past three times, (i.e in the 40's, 80's, and 90's.) Even though they also have the private form of Open Scoring shown only to the corners, give full credit to the Association of Boxing Commissions and any federation who chooses NOT to use it. Open Scoring results in track meets when fighters are ahead, quit jobs when fighters are behind, and the potential for corners to make cuts, ruled from head-butts worse to force stoppages if their fighter is ahead. Crowd security can be an issue as well.

It doesn't really help with bad decisions, because all that happens is after the 4th and 8th round of WBC Title fights with this rule in effect, you just see a potential robbery taking place. Check out the last four rounds of Mormeck-Bell II for all you need to know about Open Scoring's fuck ups! Worse, is that open scoring does nothing to improve the integrity or accountability of bad judging.

6.) The ineptness and the corruption of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation- Making up their own rules, using open scoring in Chavez-Rubio, which is a violation of Association of Boxing Commission Rules, which Texas is a member, Licensing Margarito because of those two POS's Bob Arum and Jose Sulaiman defending him because he is a Mexican meal ticket after the Plaster Wraps incident in the Mosley fight. Chavez Jr. coming up 30 lbs overweight or whatever it was against Rubio. No post fight drug test for either fighter, even though drug testing is in the WBC Rules Constitution. The WBC/Texas blaming each other for lack of a drug test. Texas allowing Holyfield to fight when nobody else would during a few of his "comebacks." Commission head Dickie Cole, really acts like a "Dick" because he thinks he can violate the very rules of boxing for his own arrogance and self-preservation.

Jack

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 04:55 AM