IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Biggest Pet Peeves in Boxing..., Name 'em...
Cshel86
post Mar 21 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #11

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I agree Jack...too many titles (sanctioning bodies), and those catch weight and excessive weight gains does it for every time. The promoter corruption is inevitable though...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Mar 22 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #12

Junior Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,419

1. Disregard and lack of severe consequence for fixed scorecards. I think Roger Goodell is overbearing in the NFL but he'd be perfect in boxing. More is at stake in boxing than any other sport. Stiffer penalties should be enforced when there is a clear bias taking place.

2. Monopolies created by the top promoters (especially Top Rank). I think this current batch of fighter is missing the super headliner outside of Manny & Floyd, but there are big time fights to be made that would ensure that someone's name becomes household. It's been a while since I've been able to run off a list of over 20 prospective fights I'd enjoy watching, yet theres a strong chance they don't get made because of greed.

3. Lack of defense/ head movement. What happened to fighter's defense nowadays? Even in onesided fights like Alexander vs Maidana, there's carnage on the winner's face. Guys like Mayweather can go to the club and take pictures after one of his fights.

4. Piss poor ring generalship. I've seen so many fights where guys sprint outto leads only to get knocked the fuck out themselves because a.they don't know how to cut off the ring with a retreating opponent. b. they don't know how to keep distance when they need a break.

5. Meaningless belts. Belts are probably the one prize that's even more meaningless than bowl games. Most of these fighters have about the equivalent of the Roscoe Chicken and Waffles Bowl around their waste. (see Robert Guerrero)

6.Biased HBO commentary. Even though I like Showtime's guys better, I have to admit, the production quality at HBO is 2nd to none. Fights seem brighter, more vivid and colorful. The camera angles are pristine. I just wish Lampley and Merchant could take their personal feeligns about guys and what they want to see in a fight out of things. Watching Merchant last weekend was gutwrenching. He was complaining the whole time Meanwhile, I was yelling at my TV for him to shut up because I actually was enjoying Macklin vs Martinez.

7. Hometown trainers. We all have heard and appreciated the feel good stories. The atruistic manager who gave up his job to train the at risk youth. However, some of these fighters would benefit from better trainers or at least more experienced staff. In both the Peterson fight with Khan and the Alexander fight with Maidana, the corner was in disarray, trying to get water to a fighter waiting for instruction and replenishment. I know you want to be loyal to your own but don't risk your career over it. One night it might cost you.

+Quote Post
thefloatingmonke...
post Mar 22 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #13

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 4,046

My pet peeves in no particular order:

1. The best never fight the best in boxing. The only sport where this happens.

2. Poor scoring by judges.

3. No instant replay in boxing.

4. Fighters only fighting once or twice a year.

5. $60 pay-per-views and premium channels

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 22 2012, 01:58 PM
Post #14

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (thefloatingmonkey @ Mar 22 2012, 02:54 PM) *
4. Fighters only fighting once or twice a year.

5. $60 pay-per-views and premium channels

+1

Cant argue with this...

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 22 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #15

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

1. When a fighter's legs suddenly "cramp up" when he looks shitty in a fight.

2. Functionally illiterate fighters in post-fight pressers

3. Fighters who make enough money to get their teeth fixed, but never seem to get around to it.

4. The Mayweather/Pacquiao Sweepstakes #poison

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 22 2012, 05:34 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

The sanctioning bodies are one of my biggest pet peeves in boxing. From the rankings to the sanctioning fees to the millions of excuses they use to cover up their hidden agenda to promote specific fighters as their champions. It has gotten out of hand, especially as of late.

Another pet peeve of mine is these promoters who protect their fighters and don't want to match them with other promoters' fighters. The sport of boxing, the fans, and ultimately the boxers suffer because of these high school antics these promoters pull on one another

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 22 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #17

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 22 2012, 01:44 PM) *
1. Disregard and lack of severe consequence for fixed scorecards. I think Roger Goodell is overbearing in the NFL but he'd be perfect in boxing. More is at stake in boxing than any other sport. Stiffer penalties should be enforced when there is a clear bias taking place.

2. Monopolies created by the top promoters (especially Top Rank). I think this current batch of fighter is missing the super headliner outside of Manny & Floyd, but there are big time fights to be made that would ensure that someone's name becomes household. It's been a while since I've been able to run off a list of over 20 prospective fights I'd enjoy watching, yet theres a strong chance they don't get made because of greed.

3. Lack of defense/ head movement. What happened to fighter's defense nowadays? Even in onesided fights like Alexander vs Maidana, there's carnage on the winner's face. Guys like Mayweather can go to the club and take pictures after one of his fights.

4. Piss poor ring generalship. I've seen so many fights where guys sprint outto leads only to get knocked the fuck out themselves because a.they don't know how to cut off the ring with a retreating opponent. b. they don't know how to keep distance when they need a break.

5. Meaningless belts. Belts are probably the one prize that's even more meaningless than bowl games. Most of these fighters have about the equivalent of the Roscoe Chicken and Waffles Bowl around their waste. (see Robert Guerrero)

6.Biased HBO commentary. Even though I like Showtime's guys better, I have to admit, the production quality at HBO is 2nd to none. Fights seem brighter, more vivid and colorful. The camera angles are pristine. I just wish Lampley and Merchant could take their personal feeligns about guys and what they want to see in a fight out of things. Watching Merchant last weekend was gutwrenching. He was complaining the whole time Meanwhile, I was yelling at my TV for him to shut up because I actually was enjoying Macklin vs Martinez.

7. Hometown trainers. We all have heard and appreciated the feel good stories. The atruistic manager who gave up his job to train the at risk youth. However, some of these fighters would benefit from better trainers or at least more experienced staff. In both the Peterson fight with Khan and the Alexander fight with Maidana, the corner was in disarray, trying to get water to a fighter waiting for instruction and replenishment. I know you want to be loyal to your own but don't risk your career over it. One night it might cost you.

@ the bold... I thought I was the only person that noticed that. @ the red... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 22 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #18

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 22 2012, 01:44 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Yeah those unknown titles are an eye sore, and the fact their held in the air like they hold much weight is too funny. I tend to like the hometown trainers, but I agree, the corner is usually jacked up though...especially when you have to hear Barry Hunter yell for the bucket, or Kevin Cunningham sarcastically say, "I need some water, what you got?"

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Mar 23 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #19

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 22 2012, 09:40 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Yeah those unknown titles are an eye sore, and the fact their held in the air like they hold much weight is too funny. I tend to like the hometown trainers, but I agree, the corner is usually jacked up though...especially when you have to hear Barry Hunter yell for the bucket, or Kevin Cunningham sarcastically say, "I need some water, what you got?"

I mean basically fighters are holding up the Discount Double Check belts lol

As for the corners, where's the professionalism? You're a cornerman in a boxing match. Not even the cut guys. You have one fucking job to do. How hard can that be? WTF else can you be doing at a boxing match that makes you get up to the ring late? I mean it isn't like you're watching the fight. The fighter is in the ring waiting for your dumb ass.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 23 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #20

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 23 2012, 09:23 AM) *
I mean basically fighters are holding up the Discount Double Check belts lol

As for the corners, where's the professionalism? You're a cornerman in a boxing match. Not even the cut guys. You have one fucking job to do. How hard can that be? WTF else can you be doing at a boxing match that makes you get up to the ring late? I mean it isn't like you're watching the fight. The fighter is in the ring waiting for your dumb ass.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Absolutely on point! Man Franchize, I must admit, you are becoming one of my favorite posters around here!

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 10:12 AM